Amadou Onana

wishywashy

Can't stop bigging this fella up, I had to go to work at half time so I only got snippets of our awesome 2nd half...

However there was a period there in the first half after they had scored, where for maybe 5 or 10 minutes we were a bit shaky and Onana didn't go missing, cleared the ball out of there box from a low cross that could easily have ended up being another chance for them....

He broke up play and put himself about when it was really crucial. I see he was substituted in the 62nd minute, so hardly a MOTM performance but vital to the result all the same...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Away games or games against the big 6 is his role imo. Does absolutely nothing when trying to break a team down apart from fly into tackles.

I mean he played the pass that created our first goal against Everton.

Ultimately the bigger issue today was that Rogers and Ramsey weren't at the races (because wolves did a fantastic job gamplanning for us imo) and Mcginn + Konsa is very much a non threat down the right. I don't think he did anything wrong in possession ofc you'd like him to be better but his carrying is good and hopefully the quick decision making will come with time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

A guy in front of me in K5, Holte End, labelled Onana "a useless word removed" after about an hour. I replied, "three goals in five games". He gave me a torrential of abuse too. 

Nice guy.

Oh you must have spoken to rodders

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He was somewhere between being completely useless offering next to nothing and our best player. 

Either viewpoint is wrong. Not his best game but he definitely contribute and was more positive than negative. He'll play better for us in other games for sure. 

Saved us on several occasions with well timed interventions. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They're wrong because Wolves popped us off the pitch. Largely because we had no control.

They created no opportunities and scored from a potshot. It was our attacking players who couldn't keep possession, find space or beat their men. 

• Like 3

Although he’s obviously started the season well, I think Onana’s value will really show in those tough away fixtures in the Champions League and against big physical sides.

It’s nice that we have this variety in the squad now, so Emery can change things up in midfield to respond to the game situation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's worth remembering that he's 22 and a project still. Emery will turn him into a top class player. 

Easy to forget just because of how big he is and how maturely he carries himself lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean he played the pass that created our first goal against Everton.

Ultimately the bigger issue today was that Rogers and Ramsey weren't at the races (because wolves did a fantastic job gamplanning for us imo) and Mcginn + Konsa is very much a non threat down the right. I don't think he did anything wrong in possession ofc you'd like him to be better but his carrying is good and hopefully the quick decision making will come with time. 

It's not just today, that's my takeaway from his time here so far. That pass against Everton was about the best I can remember too, and that was a game where he was at fault for another goal for and hooked at half time. These type of games just aren't for him is all I'm saying, he's still a great player but I hope Emery starts using him differently and not starting him every game just because he's our £50m signing. 

13 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

A guy in front of me in K5, Holte End, labelled Onana "a useless word removed" after about an hour. I replied, "three goals in five games". He gave me a torrential of abuse too. 

Nice guy.

Bloke in the lower Holte close to me said we have spent 50 million quid on a glorified cheerleader

• Haha 1

I think onana is doing well, good in some games, learning in others. I look forward to seeing him alongside kamara as I don't think he's a number six. Games like yesterday where wolves sat so deep second half are much more suited to Youri and Barkley. Onana will be with us for years though. 

38 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

He will be huge for us this season. Yet there will be games he shouldn’t start. 

The thing about having the squad we have now.

Players will always go through dips, be more/less suitable for certain games and systems etc.

People shouldn't be making conclusions off these things.

A couple of years ago we could have a player struggling against opposition and have no one else to come on but Callum Chambers for example. Lol

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â