Amadou Onana

wishywashy

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm a bit worried that he played so many games last season, then all minutes all games for Belgium during the Euros, then just a week or so off, and now starts every game. He has been hobbling off but then got back on the pitch in the last games. We need to be careful with him.

Worry about this with both him and Tielemans, however Onana seems to get properly battered in every game, him being languid probably makes it worse.

Similarlynto how playing way too many games probably affected Doug's form in the end.

Positive is we now have Barkley AND even Kamara to come back so we have strength to rotate with very capable replacement now.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm a bit worried that he played so many games last season, then all minutes all games for Belgium during the Euros, then just a week or so off, and now starts every game. He has been hobbling off but then got back on the pitch in the last games. We need to be careful with him.

What makes you think he played a lot of minutes last season? According to transfer market he played about 30 games worth of minutes for Everton.

Compare that with Dougie who played 48 games worth.

I think he's the kind of player that will get knocks because of his style but hopefully nothing ever too serious.

• Like 1

Consdering after the handball (which was obvious for all to see) the phase ended and went into a new one, disallowing the goal was dodgy as hell.

Handball, ball to floor, play slowed down and their defence got back behind the ball. It was almost like a reset and then we carried out playing. It wasn't like it was a handball, one touch, through ball, goal. There were at least 5 passes AFTER their defenders got into position. Most definitely the next phase of play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He played about 2000 minutes in the PL for Everton last season (Big Sean in his infinite wisdom decided that Amadou wasn't good enough for Dycheball and stopped picking him as a starter). I seem to remember that Everton fans mentioned Onana spends a fair bit of time on the ground as well, so there may be a bit of play-acting going on (when he got dispossessed by McNeil on Saturday was anything really hurt other than his pride?). Also, if we do need to give him a rest, we've got Kamara ready to step in, and that is one hell of a strong replacement option.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

21 minutes ago, GamingDad said:

Consdering after the handball (which was obvious for all to see) the phase ended and went into a new one, disallowing the goal was dodgy as hell.

Handball, ball to floor, play slowed down and their defence got back behind the ball. It was almost like a reset and then we carried out playing. It wasn't like it was a handball, one touch, through ball, goal. There were at least 5 passes AFTER their defenders got into position. Most definitely the next phase of play.

Yep, wasn't it like 20 seconds after the handball that the goal happened? Feels very unfair to rewind that far. There again, if the same thing had happened to us we'd probably feel very aggrieved if the goal had stood. It's a darn shame that Duran's ridiculous finish didn't count though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

tbf, Onana had a bit of a reputation at Everton for not responsing well to a small knock or a bit of rough and tumble, in terms of nearly coming off, or coming off for things that dont turn out to be injuries.

4 hours ago, GamingDad said:

How did the phase end? We made 5 more passes and scored.

And if Onana hadn't have handled it then he'd have lost possession.

I dont understand why people are disputing this one. It's obviously the right decision to disallow the goal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I dont understand why people are disputing this one. It's obviously the right decision to disallow the goal

We won 3-0 away from home in the Champions League and loads of people seem to have become stuck on two genuine handballs that made no difference to anything. There'd be as many posts if those decisions had led to YB's goals. 

my opinion, and im not sure anyone picked up at the time, the goal we conceded against leicester city, it was a definite high feet on the half way line in our favour, but ref didnt give it and they scored, and they said that the VAR wouldnt go back to that far as it was a different phase of play

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's the inconsistency and application that have made people comment. Obviously the Ref should have blown straight away for handball but didn't.

I suppose the questions raised by the goal are 'what constitutes a phase of play?' and 'how far back in the game does VAR go in order to check for foul play?'

It seems wishy washy and ill defined, for instance, did VAR check back through the 26 passes that led Duran's screamer on Saturday? Was that a single phase of play that led to a goal or several phases? And if it was several, how were the different phases decided? If an infringement had been found back at pass 2 in the move would the goal have been disallowed? 

Against YB the handball was the correct decision, it's how that decision was reached, and the implications to the wider use of VAR, that have people talking

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think it's the inconsistency and application that have made people comment. Obviously the Ref should have blown straight away for handball but didn't.

I suppose the questions raised by the goal are 'what constitutes a phase of play?' and 'how far back in the game does VAR go in order to check for foul play?'

It seems wishy washy and ill defined, for instance, did VAR check back through the 26 passes that led Duran's screamer on Saturday? Was that a single phase of play that led to a goal or several phases? And if it was several, how were the different phases decided? If an infringement had been found back at pass 2 in the move would the goal have been disallowed? 

Against YB the handball was the correct decision, it's how that decision was reached, and the implications to the wider use of VAR, that have people talking

I get all the questions and frustrations around it. I feel it too.

I just don't know why this incident is being included in that. It was 15 seconds and 5 passes. It quite clearly is the same phase of play and the handball directly affected it.

Whatever criteria could be around the rules, there's no way this particular decision should ever stand as a goal. It was obviously the right decision

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I get all the questions and frustrations around it. I feel it too.

I just don't know why this incident is being included in that. It was 15 seconds and 5 passes. It quite clearly is the same phase of play and the handball directly affected it.

Whatever criteria could be around the rules, there's no way this particular decision should ever stand as a goal. It was obviously the right decision

The ball went backwards and they reset their defence. That usually constitutes as a new phase of play. 

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The ball went backwards and they reset their defence. That usually constitutes as a new phase of play. 

I don't think the ball really went backwards, but even if it did, what rules make that a new phase of play?

We made 5 passes after the handball and scored. And Onana handling it directly stopped him losing possession.

If that had been YB doing it to us and the goal had stood we'd all be rightly outraged

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â