Amadou Onana

wishywashy

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dare I say it but last two games in the 2nd half we looked a better team with Barkley in midfield

Maybe in the games teams sit deep and counter Barkley is more useful but against better teams we need Onana.

• Like 1

Yes he got caught on the ball for their first, he took a couple of tough tackle too. But he helped start the comeback with a cracking pass out to Digne for our first goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Surprised if his sub was tactical. Made a mistake for their first goal but thought he was one of our best players apart from that

I thought maybe he felt he picked up a slight knock and wasn't feeling 100%. 

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

I thought maybe he felt he picked up a slight knock and wasn't feeling 100%. 

That’s what I thought but read from other sources it was tactical. Could be bollocks though

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s what I thought but read from other sources it was tactical. Could be bollocks though

If it was tactical then fair play. Thought we looked more fluid and composed when Barkley came on. That's not a slight on Onana though, he was good imo.

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Clearly I'm the only person in the world that did think he was fouled in the build up to the goal! 🤣

I don't think the second challenge was a foul - but the first time he gets kicked and not the ball.  I think 7 times out of 10 it's given as a free-kick.  That said it was worth going 0-2 down to see Ollie get us back level and then Duran win it with THAT goal.

7 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

If it was tactical then fair play. Thought we looked more fluid and composed when Barkley came on. That's not a slight on Onana though, he was good imo.

I don't think that Everton were threatening through the middle of the park and Barkley gave us two points of attack / control rather than feeding it to Tielemans all the time.  I think it was a sensible decision to prevent Onana picking up a knock / aggrievating any of the knocks he got in the first half and a good tactical decision in terms of giving us even better control of the ball in the second half.  Like you say I don't think it was down to him playing badly - just a recognition that we've got lots of options and Barkley was well suited to the way the game was going. 

• Like 3

he's had a fantastic start and definitely wasn't to his usual standards. i think there's mitigating circumstances...he got injured in the build up to the goal and got clattered 2 mins later. still love him.

GHHdTdvX0AAGY4s.jpg

Hope that gives him a bit of a reset, but I'll be honest...I haven't been very impressed by him. He just kind of strolls through games and doesn't really try to make things happen. When he gets the ball his first inclination is usually just to give it back to where it came from.

Contrast to Tielemans and Barkley who always get on the half turn, get their head up and try to drive the team forward. Which is fine if he were making a huge contribution defensively, but I'm not seeing that either. Hope he feels the kick up the ass now with how this team is performing and Kamara's return ever-looming. He'll have to show why he's a £50m player.

I'm expecting our 6 foot 6 midfielder to be stronger to be honest. Not sure if he took a knock but the sub was the correct decision.

Like others have said he's young and has lots to learn but he's at the right place to continue his progression.

I don't think he was subbed off because of losing the ball for their first goal or because he was having a bad game in general. Losing the ball was poor, but McNeill still had a lot to do, and when he eventually had his shot he managed to hit in pretty much the only spot that could have beat Martinez from that angle, he did well, but nine times out of ten Everton wouldn't have scored from that situation. Other than that moment he didn't really do anything wrong, his pass for our first was a brilliant ball, without that we might not have come back. I think he was probably brought off because he wasn't much involved, owing to the way Everton were playing, we didn't really need a player like him, such was our dominance of possession Barkley more suited the occassion

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â