Amadou Onana

wishywashy

21 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

The team have definitely identified ariel duels as a weakness, haven't they? Defending set pieces is going to be a lot less scary and attacking set pieces are about to get a lot more exciting.

Yep, Unai has had plenty of time to analyse the squad and “collected data” as he often used to say, now we fix and improve on everything that has been identified.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jigen said:

And who replaces Douglas? Kamara when returns is a starter. And so is Onana. The pair is Kamara - Onana.

Have you ever thought, that maybe Emery isn’t going to set up the team the exact same why? That he perhaps, might want to play a slightly different way, better suited to a top 4 CL team?

• Like 2

Wow, this came out the blue. A very good holding midfielder, always impressed me defensively for Belgium and Everton, but needs to work on his passing for sure. 

I'd be very pleased with this signing but I think it means that Barkley/Tielemans are the Luiz replacements as I'm not sure we'll sign 2 CMs. 

I wonder what will happen when Kamara comes back. I imagine Unai will try to play both Onana and Kamara together then push Tielemans/McGinn forwards. Will definitely help us defensively.

3 minutes ago, jigen said:

And who replaces Douglas? Kamara when returns is a starter. And so is Onana. The pair is Kamara - Onana.

Be a bit more hybrid than this long term I think. When we used Cash at RB, Kamara would drop into his position when in possession and I'd expect to see Kamara-Onana rolled out more when this is used. If we play with Konsa, Carlos, Pau type set up then you can sacrifice one of them for a more progressive midfielder.

We have a lot of games, clearly building a squad for a lot of different situations and rotations. Time will tell how good Onana is in certain roles for us, I can't imagine he's as good on the ball and as creative as Dougie was, but maybe he will be. 

Chatting to a mate who’s an Everton fan. He thinks he’s better as an 8 than a 6. He said under Dyche every midfielder is an expected to be a six but Onana has great abilities that aren’t utilised by Everton. 

He said he’s a different player for Belgium because he’s actually allowed to play a bit. But he’s also a unit and a magnet in both boxes. Bit of a nasty streak too and is almost always booked. 

• Like 1

I’d be pleased with this. I think he’s a cracking player. Much better use of £50m than for example Gallagher as others have said. And not like any other midfielder we have - looks like Unai wants a real toolkit of options rather than two players (Doug and Kamara) who would play every minute if fit. 

This will prove to be our best signing of the summer (and that is a comment on the player, not on the quality of our signings). I am over the moon with this - exactly what we needed.

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

Bit of a nasty streak too and is almost always booked. 

I had a look at this when I heard the news because of how many yellows Dougie got. Onana only had 5 yellows in 30 games last season.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You can now play youri more forward and be that creative player that he is

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dude… OK! We get the message!! 😂

• Haha 2

Good signing. Exactly what we need. He's not a replacement for Luiz as he offers different things. Things we didn't have even with Doug.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

I meant us as a team, not Onana. Until Kamara comes back I think us as a team will be worse on the ball than we were last season with Kamara and Luiz playing in midfield.

Understood, Kamara is very very good on the ball and hard to replace I agree 

Really happy with this one think he's one of the few players we could sign who would atleast get us on the level of last season. 

Donk to Everton for 15 mill now? 🤣

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â