Amadou Onana

wishywashy

Not to go too overboard too quickly and the comparison doesn't fit from player to player but.....moat impressive home debut I have seen from a villa midfielder since sasa cucic. 

I thought he was immense yesterday with and without the ball. Wtf has dyche been doing with him? 

Power, aggression, poise, good in the tight spaces, timed runs forward well, pace when space to run into. Only black marks.....some wild challenges on saka and odegaard and two poor finishes from corner and the one that hit the crossbar. 

He will.be a fame changer this season and we got a bargain at the price paid. 🙌 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tommytenjobs said:

Not to go too overboard too quickly and the comparison doesn't fit from player to player but.....moat impressive home debut I have seen from a villa midfielder since sasa cucic. 

I thought he was immense yesterday with and without the ball. Wtf has dyche been doing with him? 

Power, aggression, poise, good in the tight spaces, timed runs forward well, pace when space to run into. Only black marks.....some wild challenges on saka and odegaard and two poor finishes from corner and the one that hit the crossbar. 

He will.be a fame changer this season and we got a bargain at the price paid. 🙌 

I'm guessing none of them 10 jobs is as an editor?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I'm guessing none of them 10 jobs is as an editor?

Well actually.....now you mention it.....ha ha. Fat fingers and wrap phone are my cross to bare. 

• Haha 2

In my humble opinion, Onana is a more rounded midfielder than Douglas Luiz. Added with the height, strength & pace, he's probably a better option for us than Luiz was, especially when Kamara was missing. Which is what makes the media labelling him a "replacement for Douglas Luiz" wrong, in my opinion.
Having said that, the first half of last season, before Kamara got injured, Douglas Luiz was as close to a truly "world class" player as we have had in years. And while I understand that the phrase "world class" can be pretty subjective, I would label it to mean that no other player could have come into his specific position & improve on him. Douglas Luiz was magical until Kamara got injured. 
The biggest problem with Douglas Luiz was that he needed "a Kamara" behind him doing dirty work, allowing him to float about the pitch pinging passes with the outside of his right foot, etc. And when we lost Kamara, we also lost Douglas Luiz & most of the positive things he brought to the game in his advanced position. He almost became a bit of a liability in the second half of last season at times.
So Onana being a more all rounded midfielder, along with Barkley (who I have reservations about), means that if Kamara or the like are missing, there is a smaller drop off & we hopefully wont miss him so much.
And the first two games of the season would back up why Onana being a better all round midfielder than Douglas Luiz is, even if he isn't as creative as Douglas Luiz is when Luiz was allowed to float about doing magical things, means that Onana makes the squad stronger. 
He is actually a player that I wanted us to pick up when Everton did. I was disappointed when he went there, especially knowing what he would face playing under hoofball Dyche, when Dyche arrived.

Edited by Andy_10
Spelling
  • Like 1

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion - but does anyone think he’s a bit clumsy on the ball?

He’s clearly incredibly effective from set pieces. I thought he was excellent vs. West Ham off the ball and appreciate he’s learning a new system - but was very underwhelmed by him with the ball today (apart from an incredibly well taken goal).

I felt like he lost the ball when he tried to drive forwards with it, rarely played one touch and played a safe pass more often than not.

Clearly very young and understand Emery wanted someone of his physical profile - but just think there was a huge spell of the game where we didn’t have control of the midfield (vs. Winks / Skipp).

3 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion - but does anyone think he’s a bit clumsy on the ball?

He’s clearly incredibly effective from set pieces. I thought he was excellent vs. West Ham off the ball and appreciate he’s learning a new system - but was very underwhelmed by him with the ball today (apart from an incredibly well taken goal).

I felt like he lost the ball when he tried to drive forwards with it, rarely played one touch and played a safe pass more often than not.

Clearly very young and understand Emery wanted someone of his physical profile - but just think there was a huge spell of the game where we didn’t have control of the midfield (vs. Winks / Skipp).

Hmm not sure. I think hes pretty solid on the ball. Maybe looks a bit uncoordinated with those long legs of him. He seems pretty rash with his tackles though. Probably going to pick up a lot of yellows. 

12 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I dunno, I think he's got some technical quality about him. For example he had a great run down the right at one point and then absolutely pinged a perfectly-weighted diagonal pass into Ramsey's path, it's a part of his game that can be improved and isn't his strongest quality, but I think he more so just doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing technique rather than him outright being subpar in possession.

Compared to what some Everton fans were saying about him, I think it's just looking more so to be the case that he was being restricted by playing in that team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Probs done his achilles knowing our shit injury record.

Nah. Just caught the ball awkwardly. A little ice on his ankle and he’ll be fine.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

33 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

No, I don’t think he’s clumsy on the ball at all. Maybe he looks it because of his height/style (sort of like Crouch did), but he’s technically pretty decent. Got a great engine on him too.

I think he is clumsy tackling sometimes, and that was evident in his booking today. Just a bit late and clumsy. Great addition though. 

56 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Nah. Just caught the ball awkwardly. A little ice on his ankle and he’ll be fine.

Absolute scenes when the ice falls onto his knee and snaps his ACL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

If you want my honest opinion, I don’t think you could be more wrong. 

He’s incredibly comfortable on the ball

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â