Amadou Onana

wishywashy

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Nothing wrong with that at all.

In fact, there's far too many who can't see the wood for the trees these days. They see some green and red bars and think they know a player or how they play.

Watching and seeing will always be the best way to judge a player.

Touche! Old Boy, Touche.

45 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Having watched some of his highlights I've no doubt he'll excel under Unai. A £100m midfielder in the making.

The way we play out from the back with slow passing between defenders and goalkeeper, trying to bait the press.  Once the opposition take the bait, we then pass into midfield to try an exploit the space left by their pressing.  It's at this point Onana will excel.  If he receives the ball in space he can either drive forward himself or play through balls to runners.

He's going to be a monster under Emery.

Yeah I've been watching the youtube videos of scouting reports now that he looks like coming in. He looks like he could be Yaya Toure mark 2. He's a physical cheat code. Has a lot of tangibles you can't coach. I can see why he's as rated as he is. Playing under Emery he can become a world beater. I'm excited about this one.

• Like 4

The most important thing here is.....He has the attributes, which the team has been lacking......it's no good just signing talent without objective, it's about signing what the team needs and what will improve it.

We have other players who can do the things, he is weaker at....that's what teams do.

The "Perfect" player, doesn't exist.

Onana, has attributes, which are hard to coach.....Height as one example cannot be taught, you either have it or you don't....it's then how you use it, so that bit can be coached.

This signing is a clear example of Unai building a complete team.....these type of players don't grow on trees, so I think it's a coup.

Don't be fooled by some Everton Fans comments, Onana has played in a team with more issues in it, than we have, so that alone could have impeded his worth.

Some fans will cite losing Douglas as a step backwards, but we have Tielemans, who can do a similar Job....Onana is not a direct replacement for Dougie, we already had him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Found this  stats interesting, looks like they were doing much better without him, which would explain why their fans are not bothered about him leaving:

Everton with / without Amadou Onana starting in the Premier League last season:

Starts - 23 / 15
 Wins - 6 / 7
 Draws - 3 / 6
 Defeats - 14 / 2
 Goals scored per game - 0.96 / 1.2
 Goals conceded per game - 1.74 / 0.73

The goals conceded difference is particularly large. I'm not sure if he played as a DM for them or what the correlation is here.

Gana was their DM and still does the job he was doing for us reasonably well.

Onana was seen as their more progressive 8 type but didn't really influence games as expected so they just want back to the more workmanlike Joe Garner in the run in.

He can play in a pivot  but he will be a little different to Luiz. I do think a plan is to have him and Tielemans as the duo as they looked decent for Belgium playing there.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like this signing - he's a player with some huge strengths and we have a manager that builds systems that let players with strengths do the things they're good at over and over again.

When we sign a player and people say "yeah but he's not good at [whatever]" I'm learning that the player is hardly ever going to be asked to do the thing they're not good at in an Emery system - that's the genius of the manager. So if people tell you that Onana is great at "this" or "that", but he can't do "whatever", smile gently at them and look forward to seeing all the stuff he's great at, over and over again at Villa Park.

I think he's a really good addition and another different asset to the managers toolbox.

I agree with you mostly, but Dougie was not a particularly good No. 6. Much better as an 8. I appreciate that he was there as a stopgap, but sometimes it does happen.

• Like 2

Just now, HKP90 said:

I agree with you mostly, but Dougie was not a particularly good No. 6. Much better as an 8. I appreciate that he was there as a stopgap, but sometimes it does happen.

I didn't mention him!

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like this signing - he's a player with some huge strengths and we have a manager that builds systems that let players with strengths do the things they're good at over and over again.

When we sign a player and people say "yeah but he's not good at [whatever]" I'm learning that the player is hardly ever going to be asked to do the thing they're not good at in an Emery system - that's the genius of the manager. So if people tell you that Onana is great at "this" or "that", but he can't do "whatever", smile gently at them and look forward to seeing all the stuff he's great at, over and over again at Villa Park.

I think he's a really good addition and another different asset to the managers toolbox.

Also, the guy is young.  He's not the finished article at all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ditto.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Too soon isn't it. Sorry.

I'm fine, I was just addressing the point that you made about players under Emery not being asked to play in areas of their game where they were weaker. I know this was referring to Onana, who I think will be a tremendous signing by the way, but I'm not sure that has always been the case, Dougie as a holding player being the example. 

Apropos of nothing in particular, given that we are hopefully covered at the 6 position and will be playing Onana further forward, but I do think Unai also likes players to have flexibility.

I wasn't trying to be funny, just making the above point.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I'm fine, I was just addressing the point that you made about players under Emery not being asked to play in areas of their game where they were weaker. I know this was referring to Onana, who I think will be a tremendous signing by the way, but I'm not sure that has always been the case, Dougie as a holding player being the example. 

Apropos of nothing in particular, given that we are hopefully covered at the 6 position and will be playing Onana further forward, but I do think Unai also likes players to have flexibility.

I wasn't trying to be funny, just making the above point.

Unless barrenchea shows something very special in pre season, I fully expect onana to be in the 6 role, probably an onana/tielemans pairing, at least until kamara returns, then I can see a kamara/onana central midfield pairing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is this pretty much done then? No last minute snipes from other sides? 

I quite like the Agadoo chant for Onana! 

some of the suggestions have been very good!

A-Ma-Dou dou dou Onana he’s our man

A-Ma Dou dou dou he’s central to our plan

On the left, on the right

You’ll hear all at Villa say

He can play every night

Just don’t call the guy Andre! (Bruv) 

(Tin hat firmly donned) 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â