Amadou Onana

wishywashy

I think he’ll thrive under Unai but he isn’t all that popular at Goodison “languid” is a word used to describe him over there reminds me of how people on here used to describe Chuckwemeka & Bentancur so take it with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think he’ll thrive under Unai but he isn’t all that popular at Goodison “languid” is a word used to describe him over there reminds me of how people on here used to describe Chuckwemeka & Bentancur so take it with a pinch of salt.

Ugo might have been called languid. In reality he just had long legs that covered ground quickly, and didn't need to do a road runner impersonation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He kind of reminds me of Pogba, maybe not as technical but his range of passing.

• Like 1

Found this  stats interesting, looks like they were doing much better without him, which would explain why their fans are not bothered about him leaving:

Everton with / without Amadou Onana starting in the Premier League last season:

Starts - 23 / 15
 Wins - 6 / 7
 Draws - 3 / 6
 Defeats - 14 / 2
 Goals scored per game - 0.96 / 1.2
 Goals conceded per game - 1.74 / 0.73

The goals conceded difference is particularly large. I'm not sure if he played as a DM for them or what the correlation is here.

13 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Found this  stats interesting, looks like they were doing much better without him, which would explain why their fans are not bothered about him leaving:

Starts - 23 / 15
 Wins - 6 / 7
 Draws - 3 / 6
 Defeats - 14 / 2

The goals conceded difference is particularly large. I'm not sure if he played as a DM for them or what the correlation is here.

You have to also keep in mind that he played for Sean Dyche whose football he might not have been particularly well suited to.

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

And Youri....and Dougie. Different players thrive under different managers, we saw that with many of our own. He'll be a big money signing for us and I hope we get the best of him. 

I haven’t watched him that much but he has always stood out for me and I think I even mentioned that I’d like us to get him. I’m pleased with this and have all the confidence that Unai will turn him into a gem. 

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

Really good write up on Onana and other potential DMs by a Man United blogger (Man Utd Midfield Rebuild: Part 3 – Hybrid DM targets - thedevilsdna.com).  Interestingly he did a similar write up on Kamara when he was still at Marsielle before we signed him.

Amadou Onana, 23, Everton

image-2.jpeg?resize=1080%2C1147&ssl=1

Career: A Hoffenheim youth product, Onana joined Hamburger in mid-2020 and played close to every game for the side until Lille picked him up in summer 2021. A great season for Lille was enough for Everton to pay £33m including add-ons in August 2022. His development has only continued at the Premier League club and is now attracting the eyes of Europe’s best clubs.

Pros:

• Ground-coverage due to athleticism and strides
  • Physicality and application in ground duels
  • Aerial domination thanks to physique and jumping power
  • Forward-minded passing – through balls, switches, cutbacks
  • Close control to wriggle out of man-marked pressure
  • Verticality in passing and carrying to drive team into opponent half
  • Ball-striking technique when passing or shooting
  • Set piece threat in attacking set pieces especially corners

Cons: 

• Overzealous in the tackle, often sliding to ground or lunging
  • Defensive awareness and positioning leading to marking mistakes
  • Tendency to press higher and rely on pace and reach to recover
  • Avoids back-to-goal reception and involvement in first phase
  • Positioning in possession to free himself or open lanes

In possession: Onana’s in-possession game is very underrated. He has excellent technique which combined with his mental and physical traits, make him a very skilled and consistent passer and carrier. He has a very good progressive pass in him, often belting out a perfectly executed switch, cross-pass or through ball. His close control and carrying are also very intricate for his frame and he often unleashes a dribble burst through the middle of the park in transition. Whether it’s passing or carrying, Onana is elite in the 2nd phase progression actions of getting his team from their third to the opponent third – an amazing midfield linker. He does have some gaps in deeper areas. I have concerns over his positioning and awareness when his team has the ball. Onana often doesn’t free himself up or think in advance and relies heavily on his ability to receive under pressure and power his way out instead. He also avoids first reception duties from the GK/CB on the few occasions he plays as the deepest player, but some part of this could be tactical. Feels like peak Arturo Vidal in possession. 

onana-ip1.gif?resize=480%2C332&ssl=1 onana-ip2.gif?resize=480%2C334&ssl=1

Out of possession: Onana is very good as a proactive defender. He presses and tackles early and always comes out on top in duels. He has enough physicality and technicality to win duels without being clumsy. His ground-covering is probably his best trait. An engine like his combined with body span means he’s always a few large steps away from stopping a dribber or thwarting a transition. Aerially, he is one of the most dominant players in the league. At both ends, he has impact in the boxes and has picked up some goals from attacking corners and regularly clears danger from his box as well. One issue I found with his tackling is his propensity to go to ground. He does slide or lunge a bit too easily and while it’s not a big issue since he wins the ball most of the time, on the rare occasions he doesn’t, he’s left on the floor bypassed. I also think he needs to improve his awareness and positioning. He’s often roaming in no man’s land and missing runs or players. Again, it rarely leads to anything because once he notices it, he recovers with great speed and long strides to make up. But that consistent habit of pushing up or roaming from his position and then relying on recovery pace to tackle from behind (often a sliding tackle) doesn’t bode well for a lone pivot role. Feels like Declan Rice in defence. 

onana-op1.gif?resize=466%2C200&ssl=1 onana-op2.gif?resize=480%2C338&ssl=1 onana-op3.gif?resize=480%2C334&ssl=1

Verdict: I think Onana is much better in possession than his pizza stats or Everton’s tactics suggest, while he isn’t as elite in defence as many imagine. In both cases, I think he has gaps in deeper areas that throw doubt on his reliability as a lone 6. The good news is that a lot of it seems mental or habit related which means that it can be coached when he moves to a top team. The physical and technical traits are all there, so the gaps should be coverable. I’m cutting 2 marks for the need for this development.

The Devil’s DNA Score: 8/10

As much as I appreciate your post and appreciate that there’s a lot of football fans now that love all this, this kind of analysis just sucks the joy out of football for me! I stick with the OG old man yells at cloud approach of “he’s a midfielder”. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Starts - 23 / 15
 Wins - 6 / 7
 Draws - 3 / 6
 Defeats - 14 / 2

8 of those starts are versus the teams that finished top 5. And like 6 of those losses came to start the year where a number of Evertons players were unavailable 

Also probably doesn't fit that well with Evertons players. He needs someone who is more positionally solid defensively but who can also receive the ball from the defence and get it to him where he's facing forward. For us that can be either Kamara, Barreneche or even Tielemans. But for Everton they don't have the player who can take it off the defence and the CDM they have is Gueye who is not a good passer. 

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

As much as I appreciate your post and appreciate that there’s a lot of football fans now that love all this, this kind of analysis just sucks the joy out of football for me! I stick with the OG old man yells at cloud approach of “he’s a midfielder”. 

Nothing wrong with that at all.

In fact, there's far too many who can't see the wood for the trees these days. They see some green and red bars and think they know a player or how they play.

Watching and seeing will always be the best way to judge a player.

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well Ollie joined us as a winger. A good big ‘un generally trumps a good little ‘un, as those of us that have reached a certain age, would appreciate. 👍👍👍

Nah that’s not correct imo, Dean Smith said he always saw him as a striker and he played as striker the whole last season at Brentford before we signed him.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Oh-na-naa!

Seen a chant on Twitter that might work well, “freed from desire” song… but they couldn’t really get the starting words right…

but…

Onana nana naa na na naana na naa na 

🎶 

catchy 😆

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Seen a chant on Twitter that might work well, “freed from desire” song… but they couldn’t really get the starting words right…

but…

🎶 

catchy 😆

The '80s are back in, right?

I think his game with Everton can be like Luiz was for us. He was good in our first season but we were better when Nakamba played with him. Not because Nakamba was better but for the balance and the quality we had. Their are teams that can’t get benefit of some technical players. Actually that issue happened with Luiz even when we didn’t have Kamara. So even more recently. 
Dendonker was ok the season before, but this season he could up his game to our level, while technically Onana seem to be a level higher especially for the type of football we play. He can thrive as he had a good defensive ability as well. 

This transfer would be a clear indication of just how far we, as a club, have come. 

The last time a potentially top - class midfielder was involved in a transfer between us and Everton was when Gueye left our shambles - ridden place to go to Goodison, and eventually ended up at PSG. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â