Amadou Onana

wishywashy

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

FFP accounting, data radars, “double pivot”…I sometimes wonder if I like football anymore! I much preferred the days of “we signed a midfielder for loadsa money and he’s good and this is exciting!”  

Understand that! But you can also just watch players play, make your own assessment and go by that. I don't care much about the stats and data radars, like my post above my sense previously had been that he isn't really good enough at those things you notice when you take a closer look in the games but can't be seen in stats, like positioning, interacting with team mates, movement after a pass, if he spots danger and covers for team mates etc. He really impressed at the Euros though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Everton fans on the other hand are not bothered by him leaving at all. 

Take that with a pinch of salt.  I've told all my mates I'm not bothered by Luiz leaving. 

Denial is a powerful thing.

Didn’t they also think Digne leaving wasn’t a big deal? Or am I mistaken on that one?

Spoke to one tonight (good friend of mine, at a school fundraising event) and he said Onana seems a bit raw. When he’s on it, he’s amazing but when he isn’t, games can pass him by.

He did mention he thought Emery would be the kind of manager to get the best out of him; didn’t say anything about Dyche being bad at all - just that he thought he’d be a good fit working with Emery.

He also thought Onana would be going to a ‘bigger club’ - “oh, only Villa?” I think he said. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Spoke to one tonight (good friend of mine, at a school fundraising event) and he said Onana seems a bit raw. When he’s on it, he’s amazing but when he isn’t, games can pass him by.

He did mention he thought Emery would be the kind of manager to get the best out of him; didn’t say anything about Dyche being bad at all - just that he thought he’d be a good fit working with Emery.

He also thought Onana would be going to a ‘bigger club’ - “oh, only Villa?” I think he said. 

Long may we be underestimated and keep flying under the radar, quietly filling our trophy cabinet. UTV!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I doubt Kamara and Onana will play in the middle together but may be wrong.  I suspect we will patch up Kamara and sell him in the summer.  A guaranteed £40m-50m profit to go in the coffers, hopefully Enzo settles in nicely during the season.  I wouldn't rule out Kamara playing more in that right-sided defender's role Konsa was playing though.

I think if he was fit then Kamara would have been the player we cashed in on this summer and not Dougie

• Confused 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

We were crying out for a player like him last season, a destroyer in midfield. Reminds me of Viera.

At 6ft 6, he’s a bit of a unit isn’t he?

• Like 1

This is the big midfield destroyer we've been dreaming about for years. The bonus is he's more than just some goon out there breaking legs, he's got skill.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I was very impressed by Onana at the Euros and also surprised by how much responsibility they gave him, I think he played all minutes of all games, wheras the other midfielders were subbed or rotated.

I watched him quite carefully as we reportadly have an interest and his profile caught the eye when he went to Everton for such a huge fee. His passing at the Euros was better than I have seen before, it could be that the tempo was slower, but he showed some skills that I hadn't really seen before. Previously my main concern has been what I thought to be a lack of that slick passing ability that for example Luiz, Tielemans and to a certain extent also Kamara has. Onana I thought was more kick and run and someone who perhaps wouldn't contribute enough to controlling the midfield in a possesion based top team. I've also had some concerns about his positional ability and lack of footballing intelligence you can see in top class players.

But from what I saw at the Euros I'm hopefull that the passing and positioning is good enough and that he can imporve further under Emery. We really need his physical attributes on the pitch and I think he can be schooled to be both a defensive midfielder, box to box of attcking one, he can fill many roles. If I remember correctly there were come concerns over his personality when West Ham pulled out and let Everton sign him, but I have confidence in us doing the homework on that, and he probably wouldn't have gotten so much responsibility at the Euros if he was a d**ckhead.

Very excited about this one! Please join (and please don't go mad if I under a rush of blood mistakenly call you Andre)

I saw him first hand when Belgium played Romania and he and Youri had a very very good partnership. He was more defensive but still got forward. He wasn't a battering ram but actually quite skilful, calm on the ball and passing. The pair allowed KdB to just, well, be KdB and give a masterclass. Onana was calm in and out of possession and had a physicality and awareness about him. His Everton issues in a sense stem from being surrounded by shit players and having to do his and others work.

He'll double his value in a season under the Don. Easily.

• Like 1

Denial is the first stage of grieving. 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

At 7ft 1, he's going to be a real asset. 

He's 22 and likely not growing anymore, but one can hope!

28 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

We we're crying out for a player like him last season, a destroyer in midfield. Reminds me of Viera.

Dare I say once the Don has got hold of him he'll be our Yaya Toure.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â