Amadou Onana

wishywashy

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

No worries TRO. Onana is only 23. Still a kid really.

we are at cross purposes.....I am talking his style, you are talking his age...

0ops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Can't say that I saw this one coming.

From what I've seen in clips so far, his positional sense is excellent. He moves well for a tall guy, too

I usually get it wrong when I try to analyze the reasons for transfers, but I'll take a shot. I'm going to assume that we're still 4-4-2 in defence and most often 3-box-3 in attack.

I agree with everyone that Onana's here for the Kamara role in the double pivot. I think that Enzo was signed for this role, too. It seems to me that they want two capable DMs even before Kamara comes back. If Enzo ends up surplus to requirements after Kamara is back, so be it.

What I see differently than some people is that I think Barkley was signed to be the other double pivot and take over Doug's role. He operated as the deep lying playmaker for Luton last year and will probably do the same for us. I don't see Tielemans playing that role unless necessary because of injuries. He's really better off in the front of the box than the back.

As for the front of the box, we have Rogers and JJ on the left, McGinn and Tielemans on the right. And that doesn't even take into consideration that Buendia can play in midfield too, though he will probably play in the forward line (especially if Diaby moves on as rumoured).

I have no idea where Iling fits into all this, but it may be telling that that the club's web site describes him as a winger. Maybe he's there to provide width on the left in attack in matches where the left back can't join the attack for tactical reasons.

Good post and agree with a lot of it, although I do think Tielemans' best performances came in the pivot towards the end of the season. I can see him/Barkley and McGinn occupying the 'Luiz' role at different points. As well as some matches where we really try and seize the middle with Kamara/Enzo, Onana, McGinn and Tielemans.

I never really understand folk comparing a defensive midfielder with an attacking midfielder.....2 completely different skill sets.

I think the "midfielder" reference might be the confusing bit.

for me there are 3 types: 

• Defensive
  • Holding
  • Attacking

All harbour different skills sets, some obviously overlap, depending how complete they are.

The comparison with Kamara, does compliment each other, and does throw up some thought.....what a strong double pivot.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Is it official now?

No, not until the club announce it. Maybe Monday.

Deal has been agreed (signed next week) and medical booked according to Romano.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Love this, an absolute monster of a DM that had Barcelona trying to sign him earlier in the window by offering 4 players, and Arsenal fans feeling entitled to this signing.

In step Villa with the Monchi and Unai Emery juggernaut. Just feels like nothing is impossible for these guys.

Moist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I never really understand folk comparing a defensive midfielder with an attacking midfielder.....2 completely different skill sets.

I think the "midfielder" reference might be the confusing bit.

for me there are 3 types: 

• Defensive
  • Holding
  • Attacking

All harbour different skills sets, some obviously overlap, depending how complete they are.

Where would you define a box-to-box midfielder in those?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Love this, an absolute monster of a DM that had Barcelona trying to sign him earlier in the window by offering 4 players, and Arsenal fans feeling entitled to this signing.

In step Villa with the Monchi and Unai Emery juggernaut. Just feels like nothing is impossible for these guys.

Moist.

Everton fans on the other hand are not bothered by him leaving at all. 

34 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Onana and Kamara are running down the stairs

You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Where would you define a box-to-box midfielder in those?

I would say he was generally an attacking midfielder, but there will inevitably be some overlapping, as all players have a variety of attributes. it also depends what other midfielders are being deployed too.

They are only general demarcation lines, not to be taken literally.

It's always the case that in replacing players, it's common for the replacement to not have all the like for like replacement attributes......its just a case of getting there or there abouts.

as an example ....its like with Jack, we was never going to replace his skill set with one player.

Edited by TRO

Just now, The_Steve said:

Who honestly cares what Everton fans think? We have an incredible scouting team 

They watch their team every week. What are they missing? He was also dropped from the starting 11 in the end.

3 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Good post and agree with a lot of it, although I do think Tielemans' best performances came in the pivot towards the end of the season. I can see him/Barkley and McGinn occupying the 'Luiz' role at different points. As well as some matches where we really try and seize the middle with Kamara/Enzo, Onana, McGinn and Tielemans.

Good point. He did improve in that role late in the season. Earlier in the season, however, he was clearly better further forward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Maybe the team he was in, had more issues than him to fix....or maybe the Clubs that are reported to want him, can see a bit more than the Everton Fans.

There have been many cases over the years, where talented players, have disappeared in incomplete teams of varying talent.

I would find it hard to compute, that all Everton fans are of the same opinion, and it's probably a handful, who are factoring in a defence mechanism to protect their disappointment.

Another possibility is, some fans don't appreciate the worth, of these type of players, particularly, when skill deficiencies, lie else where in the team, making it difficult for him to shine.

However, his stats, both for Everton and Belgium, do seem to defy those comments.

With us, he will have talent, all around him, where his efforts will be appreciated.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

They watch their team every week. What are they missing? He was also dropped from the starting 11 in the end.

So do we, and we don't get everything right about our players.

18 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

The Everton fans I know are absolutely gutted. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

They watch their team every week. What are they missing? .

A decent manager.

Look at how our players improved under Emery. Villa see the raw talent in him and are better placed to coach him than Lampard/Dyche

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â