Amadou Onana

wishywashy

1 minute ago, Rosch said:

I think midfield aerial presence is undervalued.  Even a slightly higher probability of directing those hundreds of little contested balls each game really adds up.  That'll be him.       

Totally, winning those crucial balls, wins back territory, and subsequently initiative.....and paradoxically, whilst its classed as defending, it's actually attacking and shifting the assertion back with us.

45 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You get to keep Branthwaite lads.

the “necessary action”? 😂😂😂

Oh no we have to sell if real Madrid are interested. You know like every club in the world has to do with basically any player when real Madrid comes a knocking. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes, we have Jas.

you too are a promoter of such virtues......It's not the be all and end all,as we have both said, just a few more tools in the toolbox of a complete team.

We all like to see the ball played on the floor and it's well documented the merits of that has been aired by all pundits and managers alike over the years....but goals change games, they change momentum, they shift the initiative, and they enhance belief and confidence....it cannot be ignored, without consequence.

We have seen in this Euro Tournament, the essence/benefit of the headed goal or assist.....While it is still, a widely used weapon, in our game, we have to embrace it.....set pieces alone, breed this type of finish.

We had to be more alert, to the virtues of aerial attack and defence.....I think its been addressed now, by prudent masters of the game.

That won’t change, not under Unai. We’ll still play attractive, entertaining and effective football.

But now we’re adding the steel.

No doubt we need to improve on the defensive side, be harder to score against and avoid further capitulations. You can have brilliant attackers, but they are stunted without good defenders - without both, you can’t win games.

I expect further reinforcements, in both aspects (at least another addition in defence) too.

Appreciate all the work we are doing and it will be good to review our finalised plans… for Unai to have “his team” and for the percentage of his “completed works” to increase…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rosch said:

I think midfield aerial presence is undervalued.  Even a slightly higher probability of directing those hundreds of little contested balls each game really adds up.  That'll be him.       

Well, we’ve just signed one of the best around in that sense and he’s still only 22.

A big help but so much more to his game, plenty of development and potential for Unai to work with too.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Here’s a different take:

Don’t think we need to underrate/undervalue Dougie just cos he’s left (time for us to move on) and compare him to a different kind of player. Comparisons are rarely simple or straightforward either. We haven’t signed a replacement.

He was very good for us and a player like this does not replace what he did, maybe a change of style/system will though and more of an onus on the attackers than the midfielders to create and score (who hold the record for consecutive home goals?).

Or a top class number 10…

Look at those passing numbers… I think that’s important to Unai.

Mate all this does is literally reaffirm that Doug is the superior attacking player and Onana the better Defensive etc player as my earlier insinuation? 🤔

I've also been consistent in saying that we don't necessarily need to " replace " Doug, but I'm confident we can build a midfield unit which operates just as well or better than one with him in it .

I'm not putting Doug down, they are different types of players.

I think we'll find the likes of Tielemans, Barkley,  McGinn et al tasked with " replacing " Dougs CM attacking contributions. 

And the likes of Onana , Barrenechea etc replacing and/or superceding his defensive contributions.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

So for anyone, who has doubts about this.....Those teams are no mugs, and recognise an influential player, when they see one.

Manure are the muggiest of mugs.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate all this does is literally reaffirm that Doug is the superior attacking player and Onana the better Defensive etc player as my earlier insinuation? 🤔

I've also been consistent in saying that we don't necessarily need to " replace " Doug, but I'm confident we can build a midfield unit which operates just as well or better than one with him in it .

I think we'll find the likes of Tielemans, Barkley, Barrenechea , and McGinn more tasked with " replacing " Doug.

Sure mate, I was making more of a general point (not directly aimed at you).

Again, I can see us signing another creative player.

By the time we are done, we will be better both in a defensive and attacking sense.

CL here we come!!

• Like 2

Yes I'm delighted too. We will be stronger defending corners with his presence as well as extra threat from our corners and set pieces

Ball winning capabilities. Ball retaining too when teams press us which at times we were poor at last season. To start with him and Tielemans together who have played for Belgium together on numerous occasions. This is a great signing mo matter what my Everton friend is saying.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That won’t change, not under Unai. We’ll still play attractive, entertaining and effective football.

But now we’re adding the steel.

No doubt we need to improve on the defensive side, be harder to score against and avoid further capitulations. You can have brilliant attackers, but they are stunted without good defenders - without both, you can’t win games.

I expect further reinforcements, in both aspects (at least another addition in defence) too.

Appreciate all the work we are doing and it will be good to review our finalised plans… for Unai to have “his team” and for the percentage of his “completed works” to increase…

concur.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we'll find the likes of Tielemans, Barkley, Barrenechea , and McGinn more tasked with " replacing " Doug.

Not Enzo, he is purely defensive. Put him in the group containing Kamara and Onana (who may be more flexible/versatile).

We now, potentially, have 3 high quality & capable DMs when we, not so long ago, had none.

Barkley and McGinn don’t replace Dougie or what he did either imo.

Tilermans is the main candidate for now (depends on consistency and availability) but I do think there is going to be more onus on the winger(s) and number 10 to take on the creative load as well as the attacking one.

Edited by Jas10

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not Enzo, he’s is purely defensive.

We now, potentially have 3 quality DMs when we, not so long ago, we had none.

Barkley and McGinn don’t replace or fodder what he did either imo.

Tilermans is the main candidate for now (depends on consistency and availability) but I do think there is going to be more onus on the winger(s) and number 10 to take on the creative load as well as the attacking one.

I updated the post for correction, but you got to it first.

Too quick FFS 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I updated the post for correction, but you got too it first.

Too quick FFS 😂

I just fixed my stupid spelling/autocorrect errors too but you were too quick for that! 😉 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I'm delighted too. We will be stronger defending corners with his presence as well as extra threat from our corners and set pieces

Ball winning capabilities. Ball retaining too when teams press us which at times we were poor at last season. To start with him and Tielemans together who have played for Belgium together on numerous occasions. This is a great signing mo matter what my Everton friend is saying.

McPhee rn

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No joking, this guy with Kamara when he's back, that's as good as it gets. Boss mode.

As good a double pivot as you can get 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we'll find the likes of Tielemans, Barkley,  McGinn et al tasked with " replacing " Dougs CM attacking contributions. 

And the likes of Onana , Barrenechea etc replacing and/or superceding his defensive contributions.

in a nutshell.

It was silly to compare both.....as you rightly say, one has offensive prowess, and the other defensive prowess.

The comparison they make is misleading.

Unai, is building attributes in to our team.....that may not represent like for like players, to do it.

He has recognised, shortfalls, and is addressing them.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â