Amadou Onana

wishywashy

50 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Everton fans are going to bloody hate us. First Philogene chooses to come to us and now we're poaching one of their star players. Yikes!

Not really. Disappointed concerning Philogene as I really rate him but he’s going to play for Villa which is ok by me. Concerning Onana great deal for Everton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

Those 5-0 batterings last year were Newcastle & Palace breaking straight through us.

Emery is solidifying that spine and Onana was impressive for me in that Belgian midfield.  Happy with this if it comes off 

Yeah I think the intention is to avoid weakness and capitulations like that… we also threw away all games against Manure when we should’ve won. A few other examples too.

Going to be tougher to beat and score against… 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

Not really. Disappointed concerning Philogene as I really rate him but he’s going to play for Villa which is ok by me. Concerning Onana great deal for Everton.

Pretending To Be Happy, Hiding Crying Behind A Mask Meme Generator - Imgflip

I'm only playing :P

• Haha 4

Can we please focus on the fact that you can now play youri more forward and be that creative player that he is?

Don't feel as though it's been mentioned enough 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I’ve seen Onana, he’s always struck me as more of an 8 than a 6. Much like his Belgian predecessor, Fellaini, it’s hard for Onana to not be used in the 6 role given his presence but it will be a good test of development if he can develop the passing and defensive positioning that Kamara was so good at. 

Watching some clips again, he’s so good at tackling and interceptions. Going to really strengthen us defensively and win plenty of balls in the air - get a few goals too.

Comments like this are really encouraging too:

Kamara has to compete with Onana when he's back. We're building depth which is exciting. CDM was a weak position for us even before Kamara got injured. Dendonker and Iroegbunam were not good enough and we've replaced both of them now. 

• Like 1

Fees like this are daunting when you support a team that isn't used to paying them, but that aside I'm quite pleased with this one.

I love Luiz and was gutted to see him leave, but personally I felt like him leaving was an opportunity to better balance the side by adding qualities we lack rather than directly "replacing" him. 

We tend to build out from the back and the likes of Martinez and the centre backs spend a lot of time on the ball and take a lot of touches, sometimes midfield actually gets played through quite quickly. Maybe they aren't as good all-round as Luiz, but in Tielemans and Barkley we have the passing and ball-carrying ability in that area of the pitch in spades.

We had trouble with physicality last season though and could sometimes get ran through if things weren't going well, leaving the back five to do more work than you'd ordinarily like. Someone like Onana goes a long way towards aiding that, plus  will be another presence at defending corners. He's also probably underrated on the ball as a result of playing for a side like Everton that often don't want it, he can likely play instead of and alongside Kamara when necessary which was exactly the profile of multifunctional player we needed so not to completely overload the squad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Reading the Everton forum they're livid at us for taking their star player. 

My best mate is an Everton fan and he is fuming. 

What I will say - this and other signings make me very sure we will play 4-3-3 (or 4-2-3-1) next season rather than the 4-4-2 adaptation we used last year. Which makes sense - Kamara and Doug were good enough as a 2 to play against midfield 3s, but without that option (or signing someone like Rodri) we were always going to have to evolve.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

Very happy about this one. He solves an issue we had last season and has bags of potential. Yes 50 million is a lot but he's only 22 and it wouldn't shock me at all if he could be worth 80 million or more in a year or two. 

Glad we don't seem to be going for Gallacher, don't rate him. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What do you think of him?

He’s exactly what Villa need and will stop the midfield from being overrun in certain games next season. Better on the ball than people give him credit for. As I stated before good signing for Villa and a good sale for Everton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â