Amadou Onana

wishywashy

40 minutes ago, jim said:

I’d expect more than a work in progress for a £50m record transfer tbh. 

A 23 year old centre mid is never going to be the finished article. His future potential is priced in, hence the big fee.

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Sure but he’s also 23. Still pretty young and has an enormous amount of potential.

I like to think so, but has he really got any potential from what I’ve seen? He’s very limited nowhere near £50 million player and a panic by after Doug left would prefer to see Barclay  start.

Hopefully, he can turn it round

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I like to think so, but has he really got any potential from what I’ve seen? He’s very limited nowhere near £50 million player and a panic by after Doug left would prefer to see Barclay  start.

Or TSB ? 

• Haha 2

He had a fairly poor game today, but it is far too early to judge him yet, although the lethargy of his performance was a bit alarming at times. When you are juggling domestic competitions with European ties and have a lot of the  squad playing for their countries, it’s all about managing the squad. I wonder if Barkley will start against Bayern though.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Villa knew they had to sell Luiz for months, calling him a panic buy is just flatout wrong. 

• Like 2

I'm really surprised by the stick he's getting.

I thought he was fine yesterday. One of our better players on the day

I don't know if people are expecting him to be attacking all of a sudden because he scored a couple of goals early on in his Villa career?

His job is to break up play and recycle the ball. He did that over and over again yesterday, to good effect

He won more tackles yesterday, made more interceptions, had more touches, made and completed more passes and covered more distance than any other game he's played for us.
All with a 91% passing accuracy

What are people expecting from him?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Hilarious

And who's Barclay?

Onana's biggest problem is that he isn't Luiz or Kamara, but in reality we don't want him to be. He offers different things so its a shame we couldn't keep Luiz and Kamara has been out for half a year with injury.

There's no doubt in my mind that Tielemans and Onana for all their respective strengths cant do the job that Luiz and Kamara did. From the moment Emery came in we've been playing the measured passing game from the back which has worked so well but those 2 players aren't up to it in the same way and that's fallen away slightly. We really need to get back to it asap as we aren't controlling games in the same way anymore and Sunday was the first example of being punished for it.

• Confused 1

I'd like to see him dominate a game like he did that one time for Everton against Arsenal. He was only about 20 then. He's got it in his locker to be a lot better than he is showing. 

Edited by PaulC

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Onana's biggest problem is that he isn't Luiz or Kamara, but in reality we don't want him to be. He offers different things so its a shame we couldn't keep Luiz and Kamara has been out for half a year with injury.

There's no doubt in my mind that Tielemans and Onana for all their respective strengths cant do the job that Luiz and Kamara did. From the moment Emery came in we've been playing the measured passing game from the back which has worked so well but those 2 players aren't up to it in the same way and that's fallen away slightly. We really need to get back to it asap as we aren't controlling games in the same way anymore and Sunday was the first example of being punished for it.

Whilst I agree regarding Luiz and Kamara the fact is we have been controlling games in the main. Our possession stats would point to this. What we aren't doing is countering as much as last season, instead piss arsing about with the slow build up and creating opportunities for opponents to counter us instead. We've become a much more possession based side. Whether that's for the better or worse is yet to be seen. That's how I'm seeing it.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know if people are expecting him to be attacking all of a sudden because he scored a couple of goals early on in his Villa career?

His job is to break up play and recycle the ball. He did that over and over again yesterday, to good effect

He won more tackles yesterday, made more interceptions, had more touches, made and completed more passes and covered more distance than any other game he's played for us.

I thought it was his best game for us as well, minus the goals hes scored, he played well in a difficult game and never picked any cards up which would have been easy. He's definitely  not the finished package but he has everything it takes to be a major asset to us, needs time to develop.  

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Whilst I agree regarding Luiz and Kamara the fact is we have been controlling games in the main. Our possession stats would point to this. What we aren't doing is countering as much as last season, instead piss arsing about with the slow build up and creating opportunities for opponents to counter us instead. We've become a much more possession based side. Whether that's for the better or worse is yet to be seen. That's how I'm seeing it.

The aim as you said was always to become a possession based team but before we compare Onana and Tielemans to Luiz and Kamara I'd wait a while. We've played 5 of the bottom 7 teams currently.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's our record signing, so think even if he's just "fine yesterday" - people are well withing their rights to expect more. He gets judged through a different lens. If he'd come through our academy, I'd have been happy. But he cost £50m in an era when we're sell to buy and can't afford to make egregious mistakes in the transfer market if we want to continue to kick on.

He's useful defensively from set pieces. Apart from that, I really don't see it. 

He lunges in and misses tackles. Rarely passes forwards. Doesn't show for the ball from goal kicks/the centre backs. There were huge gaps between the forwards and midfield yesterday. Onana was sat in the defensive line at times at 2-2, he was getting screamed at to press higher. 

The passing accuracy stat isn't really a surprise - I bet the 9% of passes were the one's he attempted to go forwards with.

When Kamara was on form he was just a million times better. Which means we've spent £50m on someone who arguably wouldn't get into our best team - when we have huge weaknesses at RB, CB depth and LW.  

• Confused 1

The whole forum is in full panic mode. Some of the back lash across this and other threads is mental.

We have pretty much had our best start to season. We've lost one game to Arsenal that we could have won, stood toe to toe but lost. We won our first CL game away - easily, and progressed in the cup with a B-team. We drew yesterday - drew. It's an insult to Ipswich if you think we are now a team that just rolls up and takes points. Only City and Liverpool have beaten Ipswich before Sunday. We will have off days - players and Unai will get things wrong, but after 6 games we are 2 points off the top.

Onana is still class. Every player will have a bad day at the office, yes it was frustrating but we started so well. He will continue to be a crucial player for us. Let’s not turn on the lads after one bad game. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â