General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

52 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Most people I've spoken to whether it's mates, work colleagues or Dads on the school pickup have said they're voting for Reform 🤦‍♂️ Solihull/Shirley are never voting Labour. 

I live in Shirley and I'm voting labour as did my son via Postal.

Daughter going Green.  Mrs Sidcow conflicted on what to do other than not Conservative

• Like 2

High noon.  

It's been a good match so far. 

There is definitely a higher than average crowd ay my match.  The local Police have just called into the station.  They say it seems quiet elsewhere.  

Only 10 hours to go. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can you and your friends all become my Uncles please?

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Gladly. 

Awww, it’s like one of them warm nostalgic old episodes of Jim’ll Fix It.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Worried how the stupid voter ID aka voter suppression law effects things in some constituencies. Won't affect overall result of course but already heard anecdotal evidence of people not being able to vote because of no photo ID. 

Hopefully (ha! It's keir) labour bin it off on day 1. Serves no purpose other than to disenfranchise citizens.

i cant see anyone removing this if im honest. At some point surely we see a move towards a digital voting system and that will typically need more identification assurance, not less.

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Reform ?

Obsoletely, 100% no.  I guess Green or Lib Dem

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i cant see anyone removing this if im honest. At some point surely we see a move towards a digital voting system and that will typically need more identification assurance, not less.

It was in Green and Lib Dem manifestos but don't think it was in Labour's

Why would Labour touch voting reform? It looks like they could get about 40% of the vote with over 80% of the seats in parliament. The only way it could happen if the polls are utterly wrong and they need to do a deal with the LibDems.

49 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Had some great news this morning, managed to convince the wife that voting on who came across really well on I'm a celeb is not the way to do it and she didn't vote reform. She went for Lib Dems in the end and although not my party of choice I'm very happy that she didn't vote Reform.

Driving up to Yorkshire tonight and expecting to arrive around midnight, watch the votes for a couple of hours and then wake up to a new party in charge, absolutely buzzing.

That's  quite the conversion!

Just went to vote on my lunch break expecting it to be extremely busy. But it was absolutely dead. More staff there than people voting. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm a boomer. Every single one of my friends is vehemently anti-Tory. 

I still find this bizarre every time you say it 

Some of my friends are politically active and very much anti-Tory ... Whilst I've never asked any of my friends (or family) how they vote (though in most cases I can guess ) I would say my circle of friends represents all political parties ( except for SNP /DUP who don't' really have a say in Surrey ) but the majority are very much apathetic and have probably voted for  numerous parties over the years  ...  to have every SINGLE one so vehemently anti tory suggests either someone was carrying out clandestine brainwashing in the running clubs of Yorkshire  in the 70's or your friends list is comprised solely of people who attended Kier Starmer's lock down curry night. 

its not a criticism or anything , as I say I just find it weird   (though we've touched on this before  and I seem to recall your friend circle is more from  academic world than the average person) 

Edited by tonyh29

I’m looking forward to what creative way Labour reconnect with the EU that isn’t fully rejoining. It’ll be some sort of “UK deal” I suspect. Not a member, but we pay in and get some benefits. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MCU said:

Mental we even have to say this, but a polite reminder that you are not racist or fascist if you want to vote for Reform

Correct. But you are voting for the party that the racists and fascists will vote for

• Like 1

Wasn't too busy at my polling station either 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’m looking forward to what creative way Labour reconnect with the EU that isn’t fully rejoining. It’ll be some sort of “UK deal” I suspect. Not a member, but we pay in and get some benefits. 

He's mentioned  a few times about how he will negotiate a better deal .. I'm fairly sure the EU have mentioned a few times that you can't Cherry pick  ..so it will be interesting  to see what is on the table ,maybe he can be the one to final make Brexit work as the opportunity it should have been 

my personal feel is that with the majority he is likely to command he's in power for 2 or 3 terms and he will seek to re-join us during his second term , but I don't have any foundation for this view and a lot will depend on what happens with the Reform and the Conservative parties in the aftermath of tonight's massacre 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â