General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t get it. People being narrow minded calling other people narrow minded. 

It could be.

The thing is, you largely get on with people who have similar values to yourself and that naturally branches politics.  I don't think anyone would really dislike someone purely because they're left-wing when "one" is right-wing (or vice-versa), but harbouring different values may well mean that they can't be friends, as such.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got mates with whom I have absolutely never discussed politics. Couldn't care less who they vote for, their politics never comes up and neither does mine.

I do have some mates that are far more politically engaged, bring it up a lot, and I imagine we'd fall out if we had radically different views

maybe not discuss politics, but you'd have an idea through general chit chat which way they lean. and if their views massively differ from yours, then you probably aren't friends anyway

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It could be.

The thing is, you largely get on with people who have similar values to yourself and that naturally branches politics.  I don't think anyone would really dislike someone purely because they're left-wing when "one" is right-wing (or vice-versa), but harbouring different values may well mean that they can't be friends, as such.

I get on with all kinds mate but maybe that’s an exception . I get on with someone very well who’s an hard left loony. We’ve had discussions we’ve had the craic but never ever thought about not getting on with him because he’s polar opposite to me. I also get on with people with very racist views. Less discussion about politics with them. If someone I know wants Muslims deported or wants more Muslims let in then I’m not going to not get on with them because of that. 

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

maybe not discuss politics, but you'd have an idea through general chit chat which way they lean. and if their views massively differ from yours, then you probably aren't friends anyway

Exactly.  You're not talking politics at all, but you might mention how terrible it is that these migrants are drowning in the sea and your mate replies that it's great and if any get through they should be shot on the beach.  Do you laugh in a buddy to buddy kind of way or do you stare at him thinking WTF and then have an argument about it.

You turn to the other mate and say how awful it is that your daughter can't get a doctors appointment when she's pretty ill and he responds she must be a freeloader and shouldn't expect anything for free so should go and pay for a bloody doctor if she's so ill.

Is the situation that no one has talked about politics or is it a fact that pretty much every facet of life runs from politics and you all have an opinion on pretty much everything?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is the situation that no one has talked about politics or is it a fact that pretty much every facet of life runs from politics and you all have an opinion on pretty much everything?

I'm probably the weird one here but I've absolutely got mates that I see every couple of weeks and I have absolutely no idea which way they vote.

We don't make even passing reference to current events, and if we mentioned a struggle getting a doctor's appointment, the response would probably be "ah, that sucks"

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'm probably the weird one here but I've absolutely got mates that I see every couple of weeks and I have absolutely no idea which way they vote.

We don't make even passing reference to current events, and if we mentioned a struggle getting a doctor's appointment, the response would probably be "ah, that sucks"

Yeah there’s a lot of that with most people myself included .  To be honest I’m not a people person anyway and sometimes would rather be on my own or with my family . 

Posted (edited)

Not a single constituency where last season's Football League clubs were based went Conservative. Pretty wild.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Was just thinking I’ve got a couple of dozen WhatsApp groups for tennis , footie , school mates , NCT , gigs etc 

there wasn’t one single post last night about the elections , and then a few humorous  pics this afternoon , but no gloating , no thank **** they’ve gone , nothing 

Im perfectly happy with that as I don’t have to fall out with people that matter … I  can come in here and fall out with you bunch of word removeds who don’t matter instead 😀😀

edit - should add that I enjoyed this thread last night an enjoyable way to watch an election 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I get on with all kinds mate but maybe that’s an exception . I get on with someone very well who’s an hard left loony. We’ve had discussions we’ve had the craic but never ever thought about not getting on with him because he’s polar opposite to me. I also get on with people with very racist views. Less discussion about politics with them. If someone I know wants Muslims deported or wants more Muslims let in then I’m not going to not get on with them because of that. 

I find that staggering.  I think it's one thing to have a harder line view on immigration and another to be outright racist.  I don't think I could be friends with someone who is racist.

Each to their own, though!

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

exactly the same. Ive got load of friends that i suspect probably didnt vote. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I find that staggering.  I think it's one thing to have a harder line view on immigration and another to be outright racist.  I don't think I could be friends with someone who is racist.

I’m with you on this … some of my school mates who’ve I’ve been friends with since before we knew what boobies were have some hard views on stuff that you can kinda ignore , laugh and hope they were joking  or sometimes try and pull them up on , but I had one who was posting burning crosses and KKK masks and shit and he got binned and I have nothing to do with him any more … 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I use the word friends very lightly . There’s no one in my close circle of life like that apart from my mum and I can’t be arsed with her half the time . I’ve got very few proper friends. Plenty of people I get on alright with though wether it be work , pub(don’t drink now  touch wood) or whatever wise. Some of those have them views. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

OK. Aparrt from:

Run the economy.

Have a thought out industrial policy that doesn't purely support their mates. 

Invest more in the NHS and Social Care. 

Interact in a positive way with Europe. 

Allow Green energy to flourish. 

Invest in Green energy and benefit from it's profits via Great British Energy. 

Bring shit infested water companies back under public ownership. 

Bring a lot more transport under public ownership. 

I've a suspicion they actually will build a bit more of HS2 up to Crewe but probably not the full route. 

Act like grown ups. 

And And build more houses.

What will Labour do for us.

You are about to find out what they will do for you.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Exactly the same with me. I've known them 20 years and travelled all over the world with them, and I don't think we have spent more than 5 mins discussing politics. 

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You are about to find out what they will do for you.

Well great.  I'm sure you will be just as vocal in praising them if they actually do some of these things and you won't just sit there pretending it's not happening.

29 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Not a single constituency where last season's Football League clubs were based went Conservative. Pretty wild.

Is there some surprise that Forest Green didn't go Green?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â