General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

May just be the tiredness,  but I feel oddly melancholy this morning, despite seeing the back of the Sunak government. I didn't  vote Labour - I'm  glad they won as the only realistic alternative,  but despite  the  scale it all feels a little fragile and there are some worrying  underlying aspects to the results in my view. 

But have rewatched the Telford  and Bull Ring shopping centre adverts in the Cheery Twits thread, which  has perked me up

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd never heard of that tbh, will have to do some reading!

It got discussed on the TV coverage overnight after the prediction that RefUK could get 13 seats. A party with 6 seats or more could claim £1m support from the 'public purse'. It was pointed out that RefUK is currently structured less as a political party and more as a limited company. The majority of the money (just over 50%) would go to the largest shareholder - someone by the name Nigel Farage.

Fortunately the predicted 13 seats became 4 actual seats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

How long till Clacton want him gone? I’d give it till Christmas till the realise they’ve been had.

I do wonder how many people would notice if their MP just stopped turning up. I'm not sure I would, tbh.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd never heard of that tbh, will have to do some reading!

It was mentioned on BBC last night somewhere when they were still clinging to the Exit Poll

Edit:Actually it may have been Ch4 as I seem to remember Kwarteng involved in the discussion

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

To some people, changing the party they vote for is as unthinkable as supporting a different football team.

It's stupid, but it's true

It's getting less so- people change  parties far more, maybe not so much the older generation. But that will change over time. I think we will get more volatile results in the future.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

IDS had less than 1% chance to hold his and he won.

Yeah that was utter rubbish as they had an independent candidate who was going to split the vote. Labour threw that seat away.

Just now, DCJonah said:

God it's nice to just have a normal, decent man in charge. 

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. All the people congratulating him looked like normal humans too. 

• Like 3

Just now, mjmooney said:

Does he always talk this nasally, or has he got a heavy cold? 

He always talks this nasally. Just hold out hope he doesn't mention toolmaking much.

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's now officially PM. 

Hats off to Larry the Cat for keeping a steady ship in the interregnum. 

Better than several recent PMs. Truss would have sold all our defence assets for magic beans in the 2hrs he was in charge. 

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

He always talks this nasally. Just hold out hope he doesn't mention toolmaking much.

He did mention w*rk*ng cl*ss. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This was a bit juicy.  Some unsavoury elements within the single issue Palestine mob.

I didn't vote and I try not to read or listen to any political stuff so maybe someone can educate me.

This whole video is just a mess, I had a look at who they were chanting for and it's Jody McIntyre. A quick look and his socials and website and his entire campaign is based on the Israel/Gaza stuff by the looks of it. I don't understand it but if this is happening more up and down the country I can see why Reform are gaining in popularity.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

He did mention w*rk*ng cl*ss. 

He may come from 'fairly lowly stock', but he's not working class and hasn't been for a very long time.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â