General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Do you not have boomers in your family?

I'm a boomer. Every single one of my friends is vehemently anti-Tory. 

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Like Tom I minimise politics chat with family. OK I make exceptions for direct family. My mum has gone done the culture war rabbit bollocks and it always stops conversation dead when it comes up so I just move on. We can get on OK as long as we never speak about politics which means long holidays together are a deeply anxious time so i prefer not to spend more than a couple of days with them at a time. My tory dads birthday this weekend, so that'll be fun.

Non direct family members though can completely piss off tho

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I will say he’s not the brightest...

The stupid voted Brexit and let the Brexit PM in.

How's that gone?

It's alright to go deeper with Putin backed and hedge fund (Paul Marshall) owned Reform?

Your kids will already be picking up the tab for the last 14 years of corruption and incompetence.

• Like 1

Most people I've spoken to whether it's mates, work colleagues or Dads on the school pickup have said they're voting for Reform 🤦‍♂️ Solihull/Shirley are never voting Labour. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Labour coud well get a simliar amount of votes tonight as back in 2017, but seems likely to get a landslide victory. Shows the first past the post system is a strange bird.

I'm not a huge fan of it. However first time in decades that Sutton Coldfield has a chance of going back to Labour so today feels even more important to vote as choice might actually make a small difference for one.

Another thing, wasn't the boundary changes for some seats and mergers supposed to help the Tories so shows what a colossal mess they've made of things since 2015 pretty much.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm a boomer. Every single one of my friends is vehemently anti-Tory. 

Can you and your friends all become my Uncles please?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

If anyone wants my massive General Election spreadsheet including all the MRP data from the pollsters final ones its in the link in my sig.

Phwoar.

What's wrong with Google Sheets though?

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

What's wrong with Google Sheets though?

Nothing, I just use Excel at work :D

In fact half of that is cribbed from a Google Sheet :P 

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Most people I've spoken to whether it's mates, work colleagues or Dads on the school pickup have said they're voting for Reform 🤦‍♂️ Solihull/Shirley are never voting Labour. 

Be interesting to see how Julian Knight standing as an independent brings down the Tory vote though. Three-way right wing split with him and Reform means Labour could plausibly squeeze through the middle. 

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's alright to go deeper with Putin backed and hedge fund (Paul Marshall) owned Reform?

Something from recent political history that often gets forgotten / isn't widely known - The Orange Book which in 2004 put the Lib Dems on the trajectory which led to their current political position was written by Nick Clegg, Vince Cable, Ed Davey, David Laws and...Paul Marshall.

Quite the political rollercoaster that knob's been on for the last twenty years. 

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Be interesting to see how Julian Knight standing as an independent brings down the Tory vote though. Three-way right wing split with him and Reform means Labour could plausibly squeeze through the middle. 

Its Reform that will let Labour in in Solihull methinks (if it happens)

• Like 1

Just now, ml1dch said:

Something from recent political history that often gets forgotten / isn't widely known - The Orange Book which in 2004 put the Lib Dems on the trajectory which led to their current political position was written by Nick Clegg, Vince Cable, Ed Davey, David Laws and...Paul Marshall.

Quite the political rollercoaster that knob's been on for the last twenty years. 

And it seems that Lembit Opik has followed him down the same path

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

And it seems that Lembit Opik has followed him down the same path

Yes for some strange reason, the libdems have had a few eurosceptics in their party down the years which I could never understand.  It's a key part of their political identity.  Paul Keetch was the same as well for them. DId they just enter the wrong door or something?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

My dad has voted Labour for most of his life. Somehow this election he's been convinced that Tories are the only ones who can save us and that Labour will make things worse!   

No idea where these views have suddenly come from.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

My dad has voted Labour for most of his life. Somehow this election he's been convinced that Tories are the only ones who can save us and that Labour will make things worse!   

No idea where these views have suddenly come from.

Did he have a lobotomy? 

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Did he have a lobotomy? 

He's gone full-on boomer. But he doesn't really use the internet and definitely no social media so it's weird how he's been convinced of abandoning a lifetime of voting Labour. 

Nipped to the polling station a bit ago. Outside was a neighbour and the Independent candidate, and an Independent local councillor I know, had a nice 15 minute chat between us. The Independent candidate was lovely. Went inside voted Labour, telling myself that it was the way to get the baby eaters out, but if she does win, or take loads of votes from the Tories, that’s good too. It was a tactical vote and not kind of first choice  Needs must.

Then went to the shop to buy a bottle of fizz for later on.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can you and your friends all become my Uncles please?

Gladly. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â