General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Is this apathy, or shy Tory voters not willing to vote for either Labour or Reform?

To me this vote has been hugely important, I don't understand why the turnout is so low.

Tories who couldn’t bring themselves to vote for one of the others I predict

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

As great as it is for Tories to be out, I'm still kinda depressed that despite everything they've done, they still got so many votes.

At their lowest point, after year's and year's of royally messing the country up and being ridiculously corrupt they still got 25% of the popular vote.

One in four people voted for them.

Then if you add in Reform's 14%, you realise that 40% of the country still voted for corrupt, right wing, racist scumbags.

That doesn't fill me with hope for the next election. Labour won't be able to fix the mess the Tories created in that time and the country will still likely be a mess, and next time people will be short sighted and blame Labour for it.

Yeah noticed this myself . Labour got in but there’s very little optimism. England especially is based upon conservatism but they have a lot of work to do to get the power to swing their way again. People are very fickle in nature though so who knows. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Sorry if you have already said this but which constituency were you working?

Sorry but I am not going to say that publicly. 

Both for my own privacy and to ensure I don't fall foul of the strict rules regarding my conduct during the poll.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Over twice as much of the vote, and more votes than the Lib Dems on over 70 seats though.

How much of that vote share is due to the press loving Nigel and giving Reform more coverage than they've deserved before the election is an interesting discussion though

Reform, like with Brexit, dominated social media (one way or another). 

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s very annoying that they keep talking about reform when they have the same number of seats as the greens.

because they have the 3rd highest number of votes, more than lib dems. that can't just be ignored and it's probably a good thing that they're not. it can't be "oh they're not a threat" and as someone said above, they finished 2nd in a large number of seats.

i hope their racist, trans/homophobic policies are called out at every opportunity and remind this 4m+ people the type of party they voted for

Just now, Jonesy7211 said:

Is this apathy, or shy Tory voters not willing to vote for either Labour or Reform?

To me this vote has been hugely important, I don't understand why the turnout is so low.

My view remains unchanged since the first few seats declared

Most people who voted Labour last time voted Labour this time with a small amount going Green.

Tories were split between Tories, Reform, and the rest stayed home.

With a government this bad, with a record of 14 years of failure, scandal after scandal, a completely ineffective and unlikable PM, and millions of people would rather stay home than vote for anyone else. It's a great result for Labour, but I maintain that there should be some alarms ringing, because those millions of tory voters will be looking for an excuse to come back in 2029 rather than staying home.

The Tory leadership race is going to be incredibly interesting.

• Like 2

A great victory for Starmer. I think the results of the last two elections show that loyalty to a party is a thing of the past, people are now more likely to vote for the thing that they believe will make them happier. I think if Starmer has a term where he delivers some fair policies, i cant see why he cannot rule for a long time.

This probably means appeasing people on immigration, stablilising the NHS and trying to make people feel better off without huge tax rises or hurting pensions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s very annoying that they keep talking about reform when they have the same number of seats as the greens.

But more than twice as many votes. Obviously people are going to talk about the protest party coming out of nowhere to get more than 4m votes when the Tories only got 6.7m votes and the Lib Dems got 3.5m.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i hope their racist, trans/homophobic policies are called out at every opportunity and remind this 4m+ people the type of party they voted for

If anything I'm convinced that this will boost their vote share :( 

Well it's not the 200+ majority that some polls were anticipating but it's still a landslide Labour victory and similar to the one Blair got in 1997. Great night for them.

Good to see Rees Mogg, Truss and Schapps lose their seats, good riddance. Hunt managed to keep his just about. 

Let's hope Labour can improve this country, we are at a real low point with huge debts, low growth and very limited prosperity. A lot of work to do and let's hope they do a good job.

Just now, Davkaus said:

My view remains unchanged since the first few seats declared

Most people who voted Labour last time voted Labour this time with a small amount going Green.

Tories were split between Tories, Reform, and the rest stayed home.

With a government this bad, with a record of 14 years of failure, scandal after scandal, a completely ineffective and unlikable PM, and millions of people would rather stay home than vote for anyone else. It's a great result for Labour, but I maintain that there should be some alarms ringing, because those millions of tory voters will be looking for an excuse to come back in 2029 rather than staying home.

The Tory leadership race is going to be incredibly interesting.

I think Boris and Truss have made people hate politics. I don't think it's just Tory voters who stayed home. There's a lot who are convinced that it doesn't matter and that all politicians are the same. 

Labour have 5 years to rebuild trust in politics and inspire people. I hope they do but if they don't then they'll probably be voted out or at least lose their majority. 

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Sorry but I am not going to say that publicly. 

Both for my own privacy and to ensure I don't fall foul of the strict rules regarding my conduct during the poll.

Apologies, I didn’t realise! Just more curious as to linking it with the results :) 

• Like 1

Just now, cyrusr said:

Apologies, I didn’t realise! Just more curious as to linking it with the results :) 

No problem.  I have sent you a private message explaining the rules we work under. Have a quick read. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Genie said:

Did the “Reform” seat for the guy who was booted for racism go to Reform or independent?

Labour

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MCU said:

Apologies if already posted but hats off to Jess Phillips during this.

Is it the far left or the far right that have been threatening her?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â