General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Makes you wonder how many friends Farage and co have in the media when even the likes of BBC just can't stop talking about Reform as if they're the main story of the night... It's always ridiculously disproportionate, it's insane.

Especially compared to the Lib Dems/Greens!

Surely they are the main story though?

Labour’s votes haven’t changed much since last election (and have actually gone down). 

Probably the biggest change is that Reform have stood in all seats and split the Tory vote instead of doing a deal and standing down like last time. 

Then you have the implosion of the SNP and a rejuvenated Lib Dems after their time in the wilderness. 

• Like 2

One of the lowest turnouts for a GE on record apparently.

Disenfranchised?, apathy?

My step daughter who is 40 has never voted and doesn't see the point, despite moaning about the government (labour or tory). Told her that people, women in particular have struggled and died to win the right to vote in a democracy.

But then again it is your right not to vote....

Is it Australia where you have to vote and are fined if you don't? But do they do have the option of "none of the above"?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

They’ve ended up pretty close to what was predicted in the end, tbh.

They had Reform winning three times as many seats as they actually did, seats which they went on to lose by several thousand votes in.

Then when it was obvious that their original Tory count was going to be too high (and we said so on here three or four declarations in), they randomly decided to add twenty to it for no reason.

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

As great as it is for Tories to be out, I'm still kinda depressed that despite everything they've done, they still got so many votes.

At their lowest point, after year's and year's of royally messing the country up and being ridiculously corrupt they still got 25% of the popular vote.

One in four people voted for them.

Then if you add in Reform's 14%, you realise that 40% of the country still voted for corrupt, right wing, racist scumbags.

That doesn't fill me with hope for the next election. Labour won't be able to fix the mess the Tories created in that time and the country will still likely be a mess, and next time people will be short sighted and blame Labour for it.

Labour got about 35% share of the vote...

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

As great as it is for Tories to be out, I'm still kinda depressed that despite everything they've done, they still got so many votes.

At their lowest point, after year's and year's of royally messing the country up and being ridiculously corrupt they still got 25% of the popular vote.

Then if you add in Reform's 14%, you realise that 40% of the country still voted for corrupt, right wing, racist scumbags.

That doesn't fill me with hope for the next election. Labour won't be able to fix the mess the Tories created in that time and the country will still likely be a mess, and next time people will be short sighted and blame Labour for it.

people are just unsure. big 5 years now for sir kier - ultimately with this majority the buck stops with them. i'd like to think if they at least make progress (let's face it, that should be easy) then they'll gain trust

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

One of the lowest turnouts for a GE on record apparently.

Disenfranchised?, apathy?

My step daughter who is 40 has never voted and doesn't see the point, despite moaning about the government (labour or tory). Told her that people, women in particular have struggled and died to win the right to vote in a democracy.

But then again it is your right not to vote....

Is it Australia where you have to vote and are fined if you don't? But do they do have the option of "none of the above"?

It’s around a £25 fine in Australia if you don’t get your name ticked off on the electoral roll.

What you do with your ballot is of course up to you. A lot of people spoil their ballots but quite a few just turn up and write 1-6 down the paper, so the top spot on the ballot is quite prized and is allocated at random.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

They had Reform winning three times as many seats as they actually did, seats which they went on to lose by several thousand votes in.

Then when it was obvious that their original Tory count was going to be too high (and we said so on here three or four declarations in), they randomly decided to add twenty to it for no reason.

There’s 650 seats in parliament and so far they got every party within 10 seats of the actual results, and the Labour projection is bang on with 9 seats to declare. Seems pretty solid to me.

(actually tories are currently 12 out, but I imagine they’ll pick up another couple from the remaining seats)

Edited by Panto_Villan

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It’s around a £25 fine in Australia if you don’t get your name ticked off on the electoral roll.

What you do with your ballot is of course up to you. A lot of people spoil their ballots but quite a few just turn up and write 1-6 down the paper, so the top spot on the ballot is quite prized and is allocated at random.

As an aside for all the talk about Keirs lack of charisma, judging from his speech today I think he's a better speaker than our bloke

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It's a Tory country with occasional breaks for them to regroup. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Reform came second in 98 seats which is worrying. Despite a huge Labour majority, they cannot take this for granted.

Edited by Strog
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have grabbed a few hours sleep and thought it worth giving a little feedback from my 16 hour day at the Polling Station.  

The voters were generally good humoured and amicable.  I only had to kick out 1 person for unacceptable behaviour. 

Everyone seems to have got the hang of photo ID.  Only 6 people didn't bring ID and 5 returned later in the day ( We do keep records of these things).  

There is a genuine disillusionment with all politicians.  Starmer is definitely regarded as the best of a bad bunch.  

There was a genuine desire to remove the Tories from power.  I'd even go as far as saying that people wanted to punish them in the same way as people wanted to punish the LD following the CONDEM coalition. 

Looking at the results from my constituency there was still a moderate support for the Conservatives.  But you wouldn't know that at the Polling Station.  People voting Tory definitely weren't public in their support. 

My area definitely seems against Reform. Farage is still regarded as the liar who gave us Brexit. 

I didn't get a visit from the Lab or Con candidates.  Both knew the result was a foregone conclusion.  The LD team came around although they knew it was a lost cause. But she remains a popular councillor for that area and is proof that there are some very dedicated, hard working and honourable people in politics. 

Overall - I am proud to do my bit for democracy and I am proud of the British people for doing their bit for democracy.  It was a great day. 

Sorry if you have already said this but which constituency were you working?

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s very annoying that they keep talking about reform when they have the same number of seats as the greens.

What channel? I’m watching BBC and there’s not much Reform talk

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Looking like the lowest turnout since 2001

Is this apathy, or shy Tory voters not willing to vote for either Labour or Reform?

To me this vote has been hugely important, I don't understand why the turnout is so low.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s very annoying that they keep talking about reform when they have the same number of seats as the greens.

Over twice as much of the vote, and more votes than the Lib Dems on over 70 seats though.

How much of that vote share is due to the press loving Nigel and giving Reform more coverage than they've deserved before the election is an interesting discussion though

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â