General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, bickster said:

No they tried things, just the wrong things, they rejected the sensible options to pander to UKIP/Brexit/Reform with Rwanda.

Pandering by producing a policy that can never work, paying someone permanently to take a tiny number of them and if they commit a minor crime are sent straight back.....

Yep people didn't see right through that

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Pretty sure that the Tories ran with UKIP's entire reason for existence, made it the entire identity of their party and spent five years making it the obsession of the country.

And are being hilariously rewarded for it this evening. 

If that were true why did they triple migration?

That BBC turnout chart basically shows that in modern times  Labour only win when there is a really low turnout  , even in the Blair era ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Or the campaigning. How was anyone energised and motivated to vote in this election? 

The campaigning was horribly negative also. A different system might encourage more positive campaigns

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

If that were true why did they triple migration?

Because the dopey people who thought it would be a good idea didn't realise that they couldn't magic nurses and care home workers out of thin air, so they had to replace Europeans with Nigerians and Filipinos. 

Which doesn't really stress me out one way or the other, but the blame here really lies with the nipples who rowed in behind the Tories during those years.

• Like 1

Just now, DaoDeMings said:

The campaigning was horribly negative also. A different system might encourage more positive campaigns

What, like the Aussie system of mandatory voting? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What, like the Aussie system of mandatory voting? 

No, like a proportional system in which people can vote for parties that they feel inspired by rather than reluctantly voting (or not voting at all) for a party that they don’t really feel aligned with. Labour are taking this victory on a low turnout having run a horribly bland campaign. It’s bad for democracy.

Edited by DaoDeMings
  • Like 1

My safe Tory seat could be going Lib Dem on latest projections 

does seem that Surrey is using the Libs as its protest vote , nearby Woking , Esher and Guildford also looking like  becoming Lib Dem 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaoDeMings said:

having run a horribly bland campaign

Tbf I think they learnt from Boris last term , this is in the bag try not to **** it up so just keep quiet and try not to get photographed inside any fridges 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Tbf I think they learnt from Boris last term , this is in the bag try not to **** it up so just keep quiet and try not to get photographed inside any fridges 

The good people of Burntwood won’t be so lucky 

Just now, DaoDeMings said:

No, like a proportional system in which people can vote for parties that they fee inspired by rather than reluctantly voting (or not voting at all) for a party that they don’t really feel aligned with. Labour are taking this victory on a low turnout having run a horribly bland campaign. It’s bad for democracy.

Maybe, but I’m not fully sure it would encourage more votes. Particularly when the campaigning is as dry as what we had this time around 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My safe Tory seat could be going Lib Dem on latest projections 

does seem that Surrey is using the Libs as its protest vote , nearby Woking , Esher and Guildford also looking like  becoming Lib Dem 

You'll need to get used to it :D 

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That BBC turnout chart basically shows that in modern times  Labour only win when there is a really low turnout  , even in the Blair era ? 

Agreed, our country is a naturally conservative one which is pretty clear from the results of all the elections. Trouble is whenever they get a clear go to implement their vision the public votes against it albeit reluctantly. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You'll need to get used to it :D 

They have Woking council already , I think it’s the council with the largest debt in the entire universe 😀

(tbf , I think the previous Tory council can share a lot of the blame for that ) 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â