General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

They can play the blame game for the first term on the economy , the only thing stopping them getting a second term will be if Starmer is found snorting cocaine of a hookers arse .. and even then I think he’d still get reelected , there isn’t any current Tory in the ranks that is going to galvanise them  

Yep, agree with that

Just now, MCU said:

How accurate are these exit polls usually? Trying to find an exit poll v actual result example from previous years but not having any luck

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jul/04/general-election-2024-uk-live-labour-tories-starmer-sunak-results-exit-poll?page=with:block-6686d73e8f08b8c654ee5219#block-6686d73e8f08b8c654ee5219

2005 – accurate: It predicted a Labour majority of 66, which was correct.

2010 – accurate: It said the Conservatives would be 19 seats short of a majority, and they were.

2015 – out by 22: It said the Conservatives would be 10 seats short of a majority, but they got a majority of 12.

2017 – out by 4: It said the Conservatives would be 12 seats short of a majority, but they were eight seats short.

2019 – out by 6: It forecast a Tory majority of 86, but it was 80.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MCU said:

How accurate are these exit polls usually? Trying to find an exit poll v actual result example from previous years but not having any luck

You can expect it to be very accurate. The actual results will only differ marginally.

The fact Sutton could go red is a stunning change. One of the bluest seats for ages!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

FFS Horsham staying blue.  Lib Dems had a 14 point lead yesterday according to Yougov, it must have been way off.

If it's a very narrow victory I'll feel like a bit of a tit for voting Labour. Most of the polls were pretty tight; I think most actually had the Tories ahead.

Urgh the Wrekin constituency seemingly staying Tory based on that link, about 85% chance.

It’s what I felt would happen but I had hoped otherwise.

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

WOW Sutton is going Labour. 
How about Lichfield? 

96% chance of staying blue according to Sky

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Well, no, but openly admitting that there should be a ruling class is something you’re unlikely to hear from even the most conservative of upper class Conservatives. Although wrong and deceitful, they’ll usually hide it behind some rehearsed rhetoric that what’s good for them is good for everyone, baking a bigger cake for everyone to share and trickle down economics, all that crap. Or at a stretch, they might say that social inequality is fair because the rich work harder, and hard work should be rewarded. Again, it’s deluded crap, but at least there’s an attempt to pretend to be for equal opportunity. 

To say there should be a ruling class is to say some people are just better by birth, and thus deserving of privilege. To me, that’s completely absurd, and especially shocking coming from someone who isn’t himself a member of the reality-ignorant elite. You’re essentially saying you yourself don’t deserve the same opportunities in life as everybody else, that you are worth less by birth alone. Why would anyone say that? 

It is a very foreign view to someone from Scandinavia or Australia but I have heard it said by conservatives in the UK who are not themselves part of that ‘ruling class’. 

I think part of it is just down to conservative tradition but the logic given to me when I have questioned the thinking is that people born to a ruling class, like the way the House of Lords used to be, are unburdened by the whims of politics or by petty social trends, instead they are able to make decisions based on a much longer term view of the country. They are prepared for the role from birth and do not need to play populist politics to be elected so have a wider perspective not available to a typical party politician looking to win a 4 year term.

The principle of being born to rule feels viscerally wrong to me but that’s the logic I’ve come across.

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Hard Man Steve Baker basically launching his leadership bid despite losing his seat.

tbf He's handling it quite well. 

Edited by mjmooney

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

They can play the blame game for the first term on the economy , the only thing stopping them getting a second term will be if Starmer is found snorting cocaine of a hookers arse .. and even then I think he’d still get reelected , there isn’t any current Tory in the ranks that is going to galvanise them  

Remember them saying the same about the Tories at the last election. No possible way for Labour to win next election etc, but you know “events” and Boris. 

both bournemouth constituencies going red. i've lived in a tory stronghold far too long so that's a nice change

upskirting fan chris chope keeps christchurch of course...i wondered if that would turn reform to be honest

• Like 1

I’m hoping the predicted narrow “hold” by conservative in Tamworth is skewed by the fact they assume (incorrectly) it’s blue already. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â