General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Quite likely up against the regions Metro Mayor

That's my in-laws constituency and given that my mother-in-law (very bookish and academic) has previously talked about waiting outside his church to kneecap him, I'm  pretty sure she will be voting any which way possible to get him out. My father-in-law is an old school one nation Tory, but he won't  be voting for them  this time (and I don't  think has since Brexit)

2 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Conspiracy theories  is spot on. For people with that mindset, the response to being wrong is not to examine why they might have been wrong, but to find small snippets to support a narrative of betrayal or foul play. 

We've  all probably done it at some point ("ref was biased" etc), and it was evident to some extent of some remainers to the referendum,  but it seems particularly prevalent and poisonous  amongst the far right today (and after WWI)

And Facebook/Twitter with their helpful algorithms will be sure to point them in the direction they want. 

Its going to bw a humiliating night for the tories. For the next 12 years they need to reflect clear all the scum out and rebuild like labour has. It took them 12 years and thats probably how long until they will be back in power

Lets see what starmers government can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Handy sheet to cross them off.

spacer.png

You leave Trott out of this! 

will-smith-chris-rock.gif

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You leave Trott out of this

One of the very few (now) seats that all the pollsters agree will remain Tory. We’ll unfortunately still have a case of the Trotts come Friday

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

One of the very few (now) seats that all the pollsters agree will remain Tory. We’ll unfortunately still have a case of the Trotts come Friday

excited-happy.gif

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

That's my in-laws constituency and given that my mother-in-law (very bookish and academic) has previously talked about waiting outside his church to kneecap him, I'm  pretty sure she will be voting any which way possible to get him out. My father-in-law is an old school one nation Tory, but he won't  be voting for them  this time (and I don't  think has since Brexit)

I'm one over from there, and it's a rare occasion of the new boundaries screwing a Tory MP.

Before it was just rural towns and villages - Keynsham, Chew, Paulton, Saltford etc. Proper Zomerzet yokel country. But now that Hanham to the north has been added it's basically chucking nearly 15,000 potential voters from Bristol into his pot.

Without Hanham it probably would have been a three-way marginal, adding it to the party means that the Lib Dems have known to stay away from it and Dan Norris should romp home.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm one over from there, and it's a rare occasion of the new boundaries screwing a Tory MP.

Before it was just rural towns and villages - Keynsham, Chew, Paulton, Saltford etc. Proper Zomerzet yokel country. But now that Hanham to the north has been added it's basically chucking nearly 15,000 potential voters from Bristol into his pot.

Without Hanham it probably would have been a three-way marginal, adding it to the party means that the Lib Dems have known to stay away from it and Dan Norris should romp home.

I think Sunak's constituency is possibly another  (now Richmond and Northallerton), and coincidentally another where I have family.

I’m really hoping for Rees-Mogg. The fact he’s still around after he cooked up that illegal proroguation of parliament is a national disgrace.

Frankly what he did was treasonous and I wouldn’t have minded if we brought back the tyburn tree for that filth.

• Like 3

Somehow John Curtice is in the exact same job (aside from talking about elections on the television) as he was in 1997 and appears to be the exact same age as he was then. 

• Like 2

Erm… Mark French-name there’s another one I'll celebrate wildly. Celebrity endorsements are bad enough but “I've known Mark for a period of time” is hardly a great intro…

• Haha 2

Lib Dems now 14 points ahead in the Yougov poll here from a 21,000 Tory majority in 2019.  The Labour share in the poll has halved in the last few weeks so looks like a big tactical vote going on.  Reform still on 14% despite the candidate being deselected for racism, I just don't understand some people but I guess there will always be dickheads.

Final leaflet count for me in a red wall seat held by a Tory is 7 labour, 2 lib dems, 1 reform, 0 from the incumbent. They've just given up on one term Tom.

I could hide beneath the wings of the bluebird as she sings. 

The 5.00am alarm would never ring. 

But it rings and I rise, wipe the sleep out of my eyes

My shaving razor's cold and it stings.  

5.00am-  Pre-match breakfast followed by travel to the Polling Station for 6.00am set up and 7.00am kick off. 

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â