General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We reordered the name or everyone who we turned away because of no ID. 

How did you know their name in order to write it down? Or just the name that they claimed? How did you check that it was the same person someone gave that name later?

I suspect there won't be any actionable data available about this.

That video that did the rounds during the election campaign of people following Ashworth and filming him, seems like the guy in the video is the chap arrested for the terrorism offences. 

Nice bunch of lads they've elected, it would seem. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, limpid said:

How did you know their name in order to write it down? Or just the name that they claimed? How did you check that it was the same person someone gave that name later?

I suspect there won't be any actionable data available about this.

We checked the name they gave was actually on the register and marked it accordingly. When they returned we would see the note.  

None were different people on the second visit. But we would be relying upon our memory in this scenario.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

That video that did the rounds during the election campaign of people following Ashworth and filming him, seems like the guy in the video is the chap arrested for the terrorism offences. 

Nice bunch of lads they've elected, it would seem. 

We're gonna have to accept that there is a right wrong'un element amongst the supporters of some of these single issue independents that were elected/nearly elected.  I'd like to think voting across such sectarian lines won't be as prominent once the conflict ends.

Of the 6 Cornish MP’s sworn in to Westminster today, all 6 took the oath in Cornish.

All those demanding more integration of various communities will doubtless be thrilled by this and encourage those moving in to the area from outside to learn Cornish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Of the 6 Cornish MP’s sworn in to Westminster today, all 6 took the oath in Cornish.

All those demanding more integration of various communities will doubtless be thrilled by this and encourage those moving in to the area from outside to learn Cornish.

Firstly, the humanitarian crisis in Palestine is a tragedy, and the sooner there's safety and prosperity for the people there the better. It's something that should have been in all manifestos.

However, did the Cornish MP's campaign on a single issue for something we have relatively little impact on? It's not a fair comparison. Also, puts tinfoil hat on, Cornish nationalism and their ethnicity is an issue for Great Britain and NI, for which our government can provide an outcome.

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Firstly, the humanitarian crisis in Palestine is a tragedy, and the sooner there's safety and prosperity for the people there the better. It's something that should have been in all manifestos.

However, did the Cornish MP's campaign on a single issue for something we have relatively little impact on? It's not a fair comparison. Also, puts tinfoil hat on, Cornish nationalism and their ethnicity is an issue for Great Britain and NI, for which our government can provide an outcome.

Wut?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Responding seriously to a satirical post, but (although a long time ago) when I lived in Cornwall there were almost no Cornish speakers at all, single figures of people. I remember one day listening to a BBC radio Cornwall report that (IIRC) there was one living person who still spoke it. Obviously and happily it's been revived and lives on as a language, but it's still very, very minority, so taking on board the point/analogy with, y'know, forins comin' over 'ere, I just thought I'd point that out.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Responding seriously to a satirical post, but (although a long time ago) when I lived in Cornwall there were almost no Cornish speakers at all, single figures of people. I remember one day listening to a BBC radio Cornwall report that (IIRC) there was one living person who still spoke it. Obviously and happily it's been revived and lives on as a language, but it's still very, very minority, so taking on board the point/analogy with, y'know, forins comin' over 'ere, I just thought I'd point that out.

Numbers were low, they still are low.

There was never one last native speaker. Gwenno comes from a first language Cornish family, her mum and her gran were not the sole surviving speaker. The point being, it would be outsiders moving in to the area that would cause that outsider language to dominate. So when people get itchy about brown people and their non integrating ways, or Turkish barbers, or Polski Skleps, or protests for Palestine, I guess they are equally protective of Scottish islands and Cornish seaside towns and Irish speaking villages under threat from outsiders trampling everything from the names of mountains to what language is taught in school.

Unless of course, there is a lack of self awareness at play.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Gwenno comes from a first language Cornish family, her mum and her gran were not the sole surviving speaker.

No they weren’t, you’re quite right. They’re Welsh.  It’s her Dad who’s Cornish, isn’t it? 😝

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

No they weren’t, you’re quite right. They’re Welsh.  It’s her Dad who’s Cornish, isn’t it? 😝

Hmm, I can’t say I’d put money on it either way, I just know that about a month or so ago I was at a talky thing where she said she grew up in a first language Cornish household and Cornish was also spoken to others outside the home so it wasn’t some arty or political ‘statement’ to sing or write in Cornish, it was what she would consider her family’s first language.

Ani Glass was there also and constantly nattering away to someone in what I presume was Cornish, and she’s G’s sister so the story stacks up!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One of Galloways bellends is cosplaying as an MP

But he'd have won if it hadn’t been for those pesky postal votes :crylaugh: 

He also does seem slightly unhinged.

We were previously discussing the number of people who were prevented from voting because they had no photo ID.  

This is an extract from the debrief issued to our poll staff. 

Staff at polling stations issued ballot papers to 34,684 voters, you only had to turn away 105 electors for having no ID (and 63 of those later returned and voted). Postal vote staff opened and processed 11,534 postal votes, and count staff verified and counted 46,218 ballot papers. So congratulations to all of you on a job very well done!

46, 218 votes - 42 prevented from voting, 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 16:06, chrisp65 said:

That’s pretty cool. The Cornish language is pretty much a novelty, only spoken by the most Cornish old people. So hearing about this is a tad pleasing to know that some people still give a shit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We were previously discussing the number of people who were prevented from voting because they had no photo ID.  

This is an extract from the debrief issued to our poll staff. 

46, 218 votes - 42 prevented from voting, 

I think we can be generous and say that was 0.1% of the electorate. But I think the greater point is that there may well be a mass of people that wanted to vote, that would have voted, but lacked any recognised id and for whatever reason didn’t use the 12 months leading up to the election to gain id.

I would suggest, those wanting to vote and prevented in this manner, must be vanishingly small as a %.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I think we can be generous and say that was 0.1% of the electorate. But I think the greater point is that there may well be a mass of people that wanted to vote, that would have voted, but lacked any recognised id and for whatever reason didn’t use the 12 months leading up to the election to gain id.

I would suggest, those wanting to vote and prevented in this manner, must be vanishingly small as a %.

Whilst having no knowledge of the circumstances of this particular constituency, I also imagine there are wild differences dependent on average age, type of seat (rural / urban) and socio-economic level etc between constituencies

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Whilst having no knowledge of the circumstances of this particular constituency, I also imagine there are wild differences dependent on average age, type of seat (rural / urban) and socio-economic level etc between constituencies

I’d say there would be wild differences, but the range would be between dozens and low hundreds in the UK’s most motivated but least informed constituency (based on nothing but a feeling). I can’t believe this figure of hundreds of thousands of people stifled in their attempt to take part.

Turnout was 59.9%, having the old system would not have turned that in to 68%.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â