General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Presumably that 1% of the electorate captured there are those who didn’t have ID but turned up and tried to vote anyway?

I can’t see how it would include people to didn’t have ID and knew it would not be possible to vote on the day so never bothered even trying?

Indeed. I just thought it was odd that given it was the first General Election requiring photo ID, that there are thought to be around 2m people without photo ID who would otherwise be eligible to vote and turnout was down, nobody had even suggested that this could plausibly be part of the reason. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

In principle, I oppose voter ID and think it was a blatant attempt at gerrymandering.

In practice, the polling card told us about it, I saw billboards, most if not all of the party flyers mentioned it, it was constantly mentioned on TV and radio.

What are people playing at?

I think we need to wait for the official reports, but I'm going to predict a fair number of these had the "wrong" id due to the clumsy list of what was allowed and what wasn't.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I think we need to wait for the official reports, but I'm going to predict a fair number of these had the "wrong" id due to the clumsy list of what was allowed and what wasn't.

You call it clumsy but it definitely wasn't.

Any form of ID a OAP carries is valid but you can't use a student card.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

You call it clumsy but it definitely wasn't.

Any form of ID a OAP carries is valid but you can't use a student card.

A TOTUM card works, what other student card would you expect to work?

One of the challenges of requiring ID is ensuring that the ID is not only valid, but that it's issued by a trusted provider than implements rigorous checks, to know the ID can be trusted, which is why most of the documents on the list are government issued. 

• Like 1

Why is Edward Leigh the sole father of the house when Jeremy Corbyn has been there the same amount of time?  (Not sure if there's any more of the 1983 intake still there).

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why is Edward Leigh the sole father of the house when Jeremy Corbyn has been there the same amount of time?  (Not sure if there's any more of the 1983 intake still there).

Whomever is sworn in first as an MP takes the title as listed in Hansard

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It goes to whoever got sworn in first.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Shame, Abbott and Corbyn as mother and father would have been amusing.

Mossad and/or Streeting would be poisoning his jam and filling his bike with C4 the instant it became a chance he had any position of note.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Is Streeting the candidate there are rumours about? Apparently one candidate somewhere was potentially AI generated.

No, no rumours, it's openly known he's a bad life model decoy whose programming is designed explicitly to only do what Tony Blair and/or the demon that controls his brain tells him. Including self termination.

• Like 1

400,000 is still a lot of people who were not allowed to vote. That is about the size of Bristol.

Overall I think Starmer represents what the country needs about all of the utter nonsense of the last few years under the conservatives. He isn't flash but is a doer, and I think he will be an effective prime minister. He hasn't won on a wave of europhria like Blair but I think the numerous crises have completely worn down most people in recent years and they want a sober and competent public administrator to sort the mess out.  Starting on a somewhat downbeat and cynical expectations may actually help him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

400,000 is still a lot of people who were not allowed to vote.

That's the tip of the iceberg though. This is the amount of people that turned up to vote and were turned away, there's no way of knowing how many just didn't vote because they knew they had no ID

If 200,000 of those people went and got their IDs and then still voted would they be included in the number?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

If 200,000 of those people went and got their IDs and then still voted would they be included in the number?

No clue on that tbh and its a fair point

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No clue on that tbh and its a fair point

I've got no real opinion on this either way, but purely just as a stat, that's the first thing that jumped out at me

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I've got no real opinion on this either way, but purely just as a stat, that's the first thing that jumped out at me

@Mandy Lifeboatsmight have an idea about what stat was compiled at the polling stations

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

@Mandy Lifeboatsmight have an idea about what stat was compiled at the polling stations

I have some concerns about that figure because it isn't necessarily reflective of the full picture. 

Polling stations kept 2 sets of stats. We reordered the name or everyone who we turned away because of no ID.  We also recorded if any of those people subsequently returned.  Therefore the larger figure could simply be the number of initial refusals.  

My station took around 800 - 900 votes. We turned away 4 people but 3 returned.  

Of course we will never know how many people simply stayed at home due to a lack of ID. 

• Thanks 1

There is no excuse for not having Photo ID for voting.  

You can get Voter ID if you have a photograph of yourself and a National Insurance number (Ni No) 

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate

Apply for Photo ID

If you don't know your Ni No

https://www.gov.uk/find-national-insurance-number

Find your Ni No

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â