General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I found it super easy. I really like the government website stuff in terms of the mix of registering, security, accessing and so on. Less so the navigation between different pages of advice and wotnot.

In terms of voting it ought to be something they work on, but going by other big IT projects it’d undoubtedly turn into a massively expensive and delayed **** up.

No I agree it’s not that hard but it absolutely is and would be for an awful lot of people.

For example there’s a bloke that works in our garage, he stuffs up the council portal on a regular basis by repeatedly clicking register instead of log on. He’s younger than you and I. These people exist in greater numbers than most realise.

Posted (edited)

Another vote for .gov.uk, I've been quite impressed by most of my interactions with it.

I think electronic or online voting needs to be solving some compelling problem to justify trying to solve it.

There's mixed data on whether it actually increases turnout, and the cons are it opening us up to new risks, as well as high costs. We could spend billions trying to replace papers and pencils and not really end up in a significantly better position. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

In terms of voting it ought to be something they work on, but going by other big IT projects it’d undoubtedly turn into a massively expensive and delayed **** up.

Just don't give it to Capita. 

(Disclaimer: my daughter works for Capita). 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

These people exist in greater numbers than most realise.

Oh yeah, there’s loads of them. Self selecting “too dumb to vote” 😁.

Or more seriously people unable to use a phone could still vote in person or by post.

5 minutes ago, MCU said:

Is it weird to be waking up feeling slightly optimistic with this new government? I’ve only ever known Tory rule during my adult life so I don’t know any different. Genuine question, forever learning; Do people vote more for what they feel will directly effect themselves or what will effect other people? 

I wouldn't vote for self harm (as many seem to be prepared to do) but I'm lucky, life is pretty good so I'm more concerned with things like climate and The NHS. 

But truthfully what's good for me would also be good for most others. I think Labour have much better thought out economic policies which WILL boost the economy so that will benefit myself and everyone else. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh yeah, there’s loads of them. Self selecting “too dumb to vote” 😁.

Or more seriously people unable to use a phone could still vote in person or by post.

Really not sure having multiple systems of voting methods is that good for oversight. It also means further checks would have to be made with regards to checking people haven’t voted multiple times etc. The mixture of digital and analogue would really complicate that.

Just now, bickster said:

Really not sure having multiple systems of voting methods is that good for oversight. It also means further checks would have to be made VIth regards to checking people haven’t voted multiple times etc. The mixture of digital and analogue would really complicate that.

The alternatives are either exclude people without a digital device, or stick with what we’ve got.  Bringing in a digital system with no analogue alternative in one fell swoop is a recipe for disaster,

1 minute ago, blandy said:

The alternatives are either exclude people without a digital device, or stick with what we’ve got.  Bringing in a digital system with no analogue alternative in one fell swoop is a recipe for disaster,

Yes I kinda agree but err on the side of analogue only. There’s nothing much wrong with voting in person as it is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yes I kinda agree but err on the side of analogue only. There’s nothing much wrong with voting in person as it is.

Especially as postal voting is simple.

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

Especially as postal voting is simple.

In theory. But there’s been quite a bit of stuff in the news about how people didn’t get their ballots delivered this time , and that happened to me last time, when I didn’t vote because I couldn’t vote as the thing never turned up before I went abroad.

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

I found it super easy. I really like the government website stuff in terms of the mix of registering, security, accessing and so on. Less so the navigation between different pages of advice and wotnot.

I find it a nightmare, as I change phone number quite regularly and they always want to send OTPs to numbers I can't access anymore. 

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

In theory. But there’s been quite a bit of stuff in the news about how people didn’t get their ballots delivered this time , and that happened to me last time, when I didn’t vote because I couldn’t vote as the thing never turned up before I went abroad.

Hopefully before the next election. local councils won't be critically underfunded.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I do think they could introduce electronic counting of ballots though

Every paper is inspected to ensure its one issued by us.  This ensures no-one has snuck in unauthorised copies. 

Spoilt papers have to be viewed to see if they can still be counted.  Any vote not made with an x in the box is initially spolit.  But if the intention to vote is "clear and unambiguous" it is returned to the count. Many people tick the box of their selection.   Even writing "I want to vote Labour" on the top of the ballot paper would probably mean the paper is accepted. 

The poll staff count the papers whilst undertaking these checks.  

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Visualisation 

Because of the varying geographical size of the constituencies, the second map still looks more blue than it should. If you diagram it by actual seats (regardless of area), the result is even more stark: 

Screenshot_2024-07-06-12-04-41-96_aee2dc313af8a92a16fcafcae1270359.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Every paper is inspected to ensure its one issued by us.  This ensures no-one has snuck in unauthorised copies. 

Spoilt papers have to be viewed to see if they can still be counted.  Any vote not made with an x in the box is initially spolit.  But if the intention to vote is "clear and unambiguous" it is returned to the count. Many people tick the box of their selection.   Even writing "I want to vote Labour" on the top of the ballot paper would probably mean the paper is accepted. 

The poll staff count the papers whilst undertaking these checks.  

Not seeing the issue here. Security of official ballot papers only should be fairly simple. Rejected papers for whatever reason can still be scrutinised by hand.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MCU said:

Is it weird to be waking up feeling slightly optimistic with this new government? I’ve only ever known Tory rule during my adult life so I don’t know any different. Genuine question, forever learning; Do people vote more for what they feel will directly effect themselves or what will effect other people? 

Too many people vote for their own interests. That’s half the problem

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

People who vote Tory vote for themselves. People who vote Labour vote for the greater good

Traditional One Nation Conservatives would probably disagree with you, and talk about how they aspire to better things for Britain, increasing opportunity, prosperity and yes, personal wealth, but for the general population not just one oneself.

It's not my politics, and I don't think there's a coherent argument for them after the last 14 years, but that's what they'd have traditionally stood for, and probably where they need to get back to if they've got any hopes of forming another government.

• Like 1

There has been much emphasis on how corruption and scandals torpedoed the Tories, but for me, the similar implosion of the SNP was just as big a story. 

Historically, Scotland was a Labour stronghold, but the rise to dominance of the SNP seemed to seriously snooker Labour's chances in a Westminster GE, even if they were doing OK in England. 

So thank you sex pest Alex, campervan Nicola, and all yer wee dodgy mates. Normal service is resumed. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â