limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

Reform Voter: There needs to be a referendum on changing the voting system

The Rest: But there already was one, surely people haven’t changed their minds

There was a vote on a bollocks form of PR with second preferences.

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yeah you clearly didn’t read what I wrote. I'm not shocked

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah you clearly didn’t read what I wrote. I'm not shocked

I read the post I replied to.

I know the result is all that matters but...

Labour got 3.1M less votes than 2017 and even 500K less votes than 2019. They can't rely on the Tories being this bad next time, they need to inspire people to get out and vote.

16 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I know the result is all that matters but...

Labour got 3.1M less votes than 2017 and even 500K less votes than 2019. They can't rely on the Tories being this bad next time, they need to inspire people to get out and vote.

You are assuming that voter turnout is going to increase at the next election, but turnout is on a downward spiral and for the first time it has gone down in 4 election in a row.

Tories have a tendency to first elect somebody that is too far right and with no electability. This only changes after they have lost a few elections.

Labour should be fine for the next election even if their number of votes most likely are going to drop, and maybe the election after that too. Then the hard work starts, the Tories most likely would have an electable leader and Labour have been in charge for 10-15 years, and need to show some results and convince people they are better of than before Labour took power.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Wasn't the weather better under the Conservatives? 

Starmer out! 

Yeah!!! those potholes along my road haven't been filled yet and Starmer has been PM for 24 hours now....what the hell has he been doing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I can't wait to see how the Labour England Team perform tonight. 

I wonder what team Starmer has told Southgate to pick? 

Team full of touchline hugging left wingers, right guys? Right!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rwanda dropped, negotiations to open with Junior Doctors.  Done a better job than the last 14 years of Tory government already.

• Like 4

Ceasefire called for and 2 state solution too in Israel/Palestine, which I believe was already their position after an admittedly messy start.  I’m sure there’ll still be some acting like Starmer is personally dropping the bombs though.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Maybe they should research Internet voting to encourage the younger demographic and the disabled.   But I think it could be far more open to abuse than the current system. 

You're right on this bit. There's two separate problems, electronic voting has a whole heap of challenges on its own. Opening that system up to the internet exposes us to even more risk of foreign attacks, but I think that's probably the lesser problem than the biggest challenges of electronic voting, which is around the complexity of auditing of voting accuracy combined with secret ballots.

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I can't wait to see how the Labour England Team perform tonight. 

I wonder what team Starmer has told Southgate to pick? 

Not sure but everyone is playing left wing 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Enda said:

image.jpeg.41054eb052c222c5d0fe07a2a9426515.jpeg
Dark green is Sinn Féin. Despite being abstentions they are the largest NI delegation to Westminster, and were 200 votes short of making it 8-4 against the DUP.

Fifteen or twenty years until NI will leave UK, I feel.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

There was, you’re right.

If there was another one, with a different option, would that be a good thing to do? I mean now that we’ve seen further evidence about the weakness of FPTP and so on?

And if the answer to the question is “yes”, wouldn’t the same kind of principle apply to, say, “should we join the Single Market” to massively improve trade and growth?”, now we’ve seen the evidence of the damage done by being out of it?.

If PR better represents the overall will of the electorate (and it does), then as the overall will of the electorate now is getting ever stronger to going back closer to the EU, that would be good, right?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Maybe they should research Internet voting to encourage the younger demographic and the disabled.   But I think it could be far more open to abuse than the current system. 

Have you even seen the hoops they make you jump through to get a government account to view your NI contributions, by Christ they'd make internet voting next to impossible. Sorry you timed out, start again then have these 97 documents to hand before you proceed.

I do think they could introduce electronic counting of ballots though

Just now, bickster said:

Have you even seen the hoops they make you jump through to get a government account to view your NI contributions, by Christ they'd make internet voting next to impossible. Sorry you timed out, start again then have these 97 documents to hand before you proceed.

I do think they could introduce electronic counting of ballots though

I found it super easy. I really like the government website stuff in terms of the mix of registering, security, accessing and so on. Less so the navigation between different pages of advice and wotnot.

In terms of voting it ought to be something they work on, but going by other big IT projects it’d undoubtedly turn into a massively expensive and delayed **** up.

• Like 1

Is it weird to be waking up feeling slightly optimistic with this new government? I’ve only ever known Tory rule during my adult life so I don’t know any different. Genuine question, forever learning; Do people vote more for what they feel will directly effect themselves or what will effect other people? 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â