General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Labours vote share only changed positively in Scotland. This win is wide as the ocean but deep as a puddle, and suggests trouble being stored up for the future. 

Things need to be addressed. Big things. And nobody wants to touch them.

I found this quite interesting

Votes received by Keir Starmer in Holborn & St Pancras:

2015: 29,062

2017: 41,343

2019: 36,641

2024: 18,884

12 minutes ago, MCU said:

Purrfect.

I for one welcome our furry overlord. He campaigned on a ticket of free fish and belly rubs for all. Those who disobey to receive a ritual claw to the lip at 3am every morning.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To some people, changing the party they vote for is as unthinkable as supporting a different football team.

It's stupid, but it's true

it's ridiculous. i hear people debating at work referring to parties as "your lot" when talking to each other because they're such blind supporters (ok i get it's different if you have an actual membership or if you're a donor) but some really won't budge

i've never voted anything other than labour, but every election i've given all parties a fair hearing (to the extent that i take the "who should i vote for quiz) and if the result ever came out as tory then i honestly would consider it. but i can't see that ever happening

this election was a tad different as for me, ousting the tories was more important to me than anything else so i voted tactically.

• Like 4

Just now, Davkaus said:

I found this quite interesting

Votes received by Keir Starmer in Holborn & St Pancras:

2015: 29,062

2017: 41,343

2019: 36,641

2024: 18,884

It's completely understandable. There is nothing there. 

They'll never admit it, but I reckon Rice and Farage will be quite happy with just the four seats, having a greater case to bang on about how unfair it is, without a dozen unvetted complete liabilities in the public eye

• Like 2

Just now, tomav84 said:

it's ridiculous. i hear people debating at work referring to parties as "your lot" when talking to each other because they're such blind supporters (ok i get it's different if you have an actual membership or if you're a donor) but some really won't budge

i've never voted anything other than labour, but every election i've given all parties a fair hearing (to the extent that i take the "who should i vote for quiz) and if the result ever came out as tory then i honestly would consider it. but i can't see that ever happening

this election was a tad different as for me, ousting the tories was more important to me than anything else so i voted tactically.

It is ridiculous, given that all major parties have scooted along the line between left, centre and right multiple times over the last 30+ years. 

You have had people who decry policies from the hills as they come from the 'opposition', but embrace them when they come from their own. 

I personally think that being a 'floating voter' and switching based on issues of the day is the only real responsible position to take. I've voted for pretty much everyone at some point, depending on the country's need. 

I'm not a natural Labour voter, but we need them right now.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

They'll never admit it, but I reckon Rice and Farage will be quite happy with just the four seats, having a greater case to bang on about how unfair it is, without a dozen unvetted complete liabilities in the public eye

Spot on. They'll play the underdog like they always do. If they had any real power they would fold like a pack of kleenex. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not so sure, they needed at least 6 to secure the extra public money parties get.

Good luck to those people with Reform clowns as their representatives. It's going to be a shock when said clowns are told that there is actually constituency work to do. 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Not so sure, they needed at least 6 to secure the extra public money parties get.

I'd never heard of that tbh, will have to do some reading!

We've got the Geordies and Mackems racing to get the result in 90 minutes, meanwhile the lads in Scotland have sacked it off and decided it can wait until Saturday

He's now officially PM. 

Hats off to Larry the Cat for keeping a steady ship in the interregnum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's now officially PM. 

Hats off to Larry the Cat for keeping a steady ship in the interregnum. 

Just as he was about to nuke the Isle of Dogs, phew!

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good luck to those people with Reform clowns as their representatives. It's going to be a shock when said clowns are told that there is actually constituency work to do. 

One of my girlfriend's colleagues lives in Clacton, where Farage is now MP. I've said she should ask questions and keep the responses, and make a note of when he doesn't respond.

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How long till Clacton want him gone? I’d give it till Christmas till the realise they’ve been had.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't get that at all.  I always voted Tory until Boris and I can't see me voting for them again in anything like the near future.  You've got to see batshit crazy when it's in front of you and you've got to see the deterioration of the country when it's in front of you.   Voting for that is like sitting in your own shit.

if Labour **** up, I'll look elsewhere.  I was Lib Dem last time out, maybe go back to them.  Hopefully Labour do the job though.

how much weight do you put on the best person in your area vs the party you want to see in power? I think the Lib Dem resurgence is that often they are people most interested in the area they are representing rather than a set group of ideaologies.

I wanted the tories out but felt the local candidate was a much better option than the labour candidate id never come across. Thankfully i felt that the lib dem candidate really cared about my area and was visible and present.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â