General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

someone said to me that as we had a referendum on leaving , no party could take us back in without having another referendum .. but I've no idea if this is true  ? 

Bit more complicated that that really. It would be politically very difficult to do it without, given that's what the precedent now is. And any Government that tried to do it without one is just opening up the question "why wouldn't you, if you're sure it's what the country actually wants?". And the accession process would expect the country in question (doubly so in our case) to clearly demonstrate that joining is what the electorate actually wanted. 

There's nothing in any rulebook that says it's necessary. But it's very difficult to see how it happens without one.  

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We should be very careful wishing for the death of the conservative party. They are ruled by tradition and committee. They have one nation tories as well as the far right nutters. If they go the nutters who represent and vote for Reform will be empowered. They are ruled by spite, hatred and xenophobia, I would take the tories over those words removed. 

The one nation lot have either left the party, died, or have swallowed whatever principles they had left and are happy to wallow in the crapulence that is the current conservative party.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They haven't got 18%. In fact nobody has got anything yet and we won't fully know until tomorrow.

Whoa, OK.  I'm just going with what the report said.

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We should be very careful wishing for the death of the conservative party. They are ruled by tradition and committee. They have one nation tories as well as the far right nutters. If they go the nutters who represent and vote for Reform will be empowered. They are ruled by spite, hatred and xenophobia, I would take the tories over those words removed. 

What the Tories will always have over and above Reform is the Tory base, the party machine and the infrastructure. So long as they get enough seats they will come back in 1 form or another. 

However, I am very much in 2 minds about whether this is a good thing or. I agree with what you say in the moderate wing of the party is infinitely sensible in comparison to Reform or the far right of the party. The difficulty I have is the "moderate Tories" were purged of those willing to take a stand in 2019 and those that have stayed have allowed the last 5 years to occur without so much as a whimper of dissent. It will depend who remains in parliament tomorrow, but it is likely the more extreme MPs are in the safest seats. Even if that wasn't the case, the membership now seems to very distinctly far right and therefore that is likely the path that they will continue to tread. If they do not change but still have a significant base to work from, then this will have a far more adverse impact on British politics than whatever phoenix party that Farage is running.

The way to deal with Farage/populism is actually sorting out the real reasons why people are unhappy (the answer is not immigration) and actually improving people's standard of living. That is what populism strives on and provides quick fix solutions to all of life's woes. They are the very essence Snake Oil Salesmen. 

• Like 1

Some of Reform's moneyed backing is from those looking to reduce the state, to get their mits on national assets and to continue swerving tax of course.

The xenophobia angle is about gaining support from thick words removed.

Well the deed is done. First time in my life I've voted labour.  Now they have to deliver.  

If they don't it's hard to see me voting Conservative in the future.  If they don't improve matters in 4 years I'm going to have to have a long hard think were I go next.    However I'm confident things will be a lot better 4 years from now.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well the deed is done. First time in my life I've voted labour.  Now they have to deliver.  

If they don't it's hard to see me voting Conservative in the future.  If they don't improve matters in 4 years I'm going to have to have a long hard think were I go next.    However I'm confident things will be a lot better 4 years from now.

Pretty much where I'm at.  

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I look forward to watching the Lib Dem, Reform, Green coalition pushing for voter reform next parliament 

They can keep pushing but as their grand total will be less than 100 even with the most optimistic forecasts, any changes will be unlikely.  If any constitutional  heavy lifting takes place it will be on finally reforming the house of lords as at present in theory it has a in built conservative majority.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I voted earlier today, about 9:30ish (Labour, to hopefully remove the long standing Tory Mark Pritchard).

Not a great deal to report, I think the leaflet through the door count was 2 Labour, 1 each for Tory, LD, Green and Reform.

Haven’t seen many banners around here.

No knocks at the door, but I haven’t had a canvasser at the door for about 20 years. Back then it was a Tory in South Staffordshire who when I said I wasn’t sure if I was voting, told me everyone should made to vote before promptly cutting across the grass of my front garden when he left.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Was that in Prof. Curtice's wastepaper bin?

It was actually the back of Southgates tactics list.

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

someone said to me that as we had a referendum on leaving , no party could take us back in without having another referendum .. but I've no idea if this is true  ?

I think the slightly less toxic way of doing it would be a party, say Labour for example, make it a pledge going into the next GE and if they got power then use that as the public mandate to rejoin. Another stand-alone referendum on rejoining would be horrible.

Merge it in with the general noise of a GE and it will be (slightly) more bearable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

amused me far more than it should have ...

Slumming it with the crisps selection from nanny's shop' to Waitrose. Surely it should be Tyrrells ,  Walkers must be far too wokery given who flogs them.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Given my usual insomnia pattern, I'll probably go to bed at about 11.00pm and wake up as usual at about 3.00am, which should be peak viewing time. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â