General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Girl I work with is a tory voter who's going Reform.

Strange really as her proper job is banking, she's obvipusly not a cabbage but simply will not entertain Labour.

Not going to be a great night for her :crylaugh:

Morgan McKinley, an executive recruitment consultancy, did some research last year which indicated that since Brexit there are 79% fewer banking jobs in London. Sounds like she is shooting herself in the face by voting reform, which is, let's face it UKIP after they've scrabbled around for something else to use to scare people in Kent.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

SO my nomination for the possible Portillo moment is James Not So Cleverly

Cleverly missing, there is an outside chance! 4am and that will seriously be a Portillo moment

Terrible oversight on my part.  Added him in 😆

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It's weird going into an election day not absolutely cacking my pants at the outcome. 

Don't worry.  The US elections are on the horizon to satisfy that.

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

It would unravel faster than a Truss mini-budget.

Day 1, they declare a national emergency for the boats. Then what?

Day 2, they announce they can’t simply return immigrants to France like they said they could (otherwise it would have happened already).

Day 3, they have to admit that “believers” is not a thing they can replace the entire 40,000 home office staff with.

Day 4, “this is not the reform I voted for”

Farage resigns and leaves the country to fall apart.

Can’t agree with the way that ends, I’d go with:

Day 5, Farage leaves Reform, which he says has been infiltrated by bad people from the establishment, to set up his new party and a go fund me page.  The new party, which was registered with companies house 2 years ago, is actually a limited company.

The BBC spends 4 years making sure Nigel has a platform to maximise sales for his new party.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Local social media is absolutely brimming with vote reform idiots. Ultimate I think it’ll help Labour win the seat but it is a slight worry just how stupid so many people are. 
They can for vote for who they like, but to be sold the lies is the worry.

I do wonder how much of this is just bots / whatever the new AI is that's replaced Bots.  If there is a deluge it can't be real can it?  I guess we'll know soon.

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

One of the posters was saying he was voting reform because of the slave trade, and that the west provoked Putin. Isis was also created by the west and it’s another reason to vote for Reform

I will be particularly upset if they get more than 1 or 2 seats

This does scram Russian Bot

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

For anyone that wants to revel in the misfortune of some of the smug gits you've had to enjoy for the last 14 years, here some of the big hitters and tthe estimated declaration times of their consituency result:

Badenoch Essex North West 02:00
Hands Chelsea and Fulham 03:00
Duncan-Smith Chingford & Woodford Green 03:00
Braverman Fareham & Waterlooville 03:00
Fabricant Lichfield 03:00
Jenrick Newark 03:00
Morduant Portsmouth North 03:00
Keegan Chichester 03:30
Mercer Plymouth Moor View 03:30
Shapps Welwyn Hatfield 03:30
Clarke-Smith Bassetlaw 04:00
Farage Clacton 04:00
Dowden Hertsmere 04:00
Sunak Richmond & North Allerton 04:00
Trott Sevenoaks 04:00
Patel Witham 04:00
Williamson Kingswinford & South Staffordshire 04:15
Anderson Ashfield 04:30
Barclay Cambridgeshire North East 04:30
Rees-Mogg Somerset & North East Hanham 04:30
Johnston Didcot & Wantage 05:00
Gullis Stoke on Trent North 05:00
Truss Norfolk South West 05:30
Leadsom Northamptonshire South 06:00
Hunt Farnham & Bordon 06:30

*Disclaimer, some of these are unfortunately likely to win

I'd query the source of that. Hunt's standing for Godalming & Ash, Greg Stafford is Farnham & Bordon. Hunt's result is expected between 3-  4am. It gets the name of Rees-Mogg's constituency wrong. Mercer's expected at least a couple of hours later than that suggests.

It may have some things right, but the stuff it's got wrong it's got very wrong.

I'd also guess that the virtually unknown David Johnston is in there either because someone's just looked down a list of surnames and thought it was Boris Johnson, or it's a red herring like dictionary writers putting in a made up word to see who is using their work...

Edited by ml1dch

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I do wonder how much of this is just bots / whatever the new AI is that's replaced Bots.  If there is a deluge it can't be real can it?  I guess we'll know soon.

Ultimately I think vast majority are people that voted Tory in 2019 so I predict Reform will comfortably be second in the Tamworth election. 

I would say my social circles and co-workers dont talk openly about politics so its hard to gauge where peoples thoughts are. Talking to a few people, the consensus ive seen is that people are upset about how covid was handled but im not convinced they are disgusted. People would like the NHS to be better but are mindful that debt is so high, how much can really change. I work in financial services as do many of my friends so typically labour arent trusted there. 

Im in the Tewkesbury constituency which has held a strong conservative majority. I think the Lib Dems will run them close.

30 minutes ago, MCU said:

Mental we even have to say this, but a polite reminder that you are not racist or fascist if you want to vote for Reform 

Okay then, we'll condense it down to knobhead then

30 minutes ago, MCU said:

I know this won’t apply to anyone in this thread but for those passing through ,

Mental we even have to say this, but a polite reminder that you are not racist or fascist if you want to vote for Reform , no more so than Labour or Conservative. Dont let anybody (certainly strangers on the internet) convince you otherwise.

Vote for who you want to and what you believe in. (even if it’s the Tories). Theres this strange agenda in play where you are more socially accepted the further left you are and vocalise it. 

Might not be racist yourself, but you'd certainly be supporting and allying with a lot of them. The below account does a good job of highlighting some of the delightful candidates they've had running 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd query the source of that. Hunt's standing for Godalming & Ash, Greg Stafford is Farnham & Bordon. Hunt's result is expected between 3-  4am. It gets the name of Rees-Mogg's constituency wrong. Mercer's expected at least a couple of hours later than that suggests. 

It may have some things right, but the stuff it's got wrong it's got very wrong. 

I'm the source so you'd definitely be right to question 😆

Times are taken from the Independent.  I've searched the Tory incumbent based on the seat they won in 2019 (although I think it's been updated for boundary changes/constituency name)

Edited by Wainy316

If anyone wants my massive General Election spreadsheet including all the MRP data from the pollsters final ones its in the link in my sig.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

I'm the source so you'd definitely be right to question 😆

Times are taken from the Independent, I've searched the Tory incumbent based on the seat they won in 2019 (although I think it's been updated for boundary changes/constituency name)

Ah. My apologies then!

So given that, what's David Johnstone ever done to you? 😉

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â