General Election: Match Thread

limpid

General Election 2024  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh this one won’t be boring :D 

Speaking of which, what is everyone planning to keep them up? Snacks, beers, bingo cards?

Some things to go on a checklist:

- First sitting Prime Minister to lose his seat

- Portillo moments (the all time total of cabinet ministers to lose their seat is 12)

- Tim Montgomerie  spontaneously combusting (perhaps literally)

- George Galloway somehow managing to praise  some horrific dictator

- Tracksuit Jesus (Corbyn) losing - or winning - either would be entertaining

- Ed Balls 

• Like 2

A Reform facebook group popped up on my timeline earlier after a friend (I use the term loosely) commented on one of their posts about how he was voting for them. I read some of the thread and many of them genuinely believe they are actually going to win the election and the rest of us are in for a huge shock. I guess this comes from living in an echo chamber. Some of the racist comments on there whilst unsurprising were also sickening.

How are some of these brain dead, racist bastards going to handle only taking a handful of seats. I am sure the conspiracy theories will instantly start. I wonder when the penny is also going to drop that for many of them by deciding that Tories aren't right wing enough for them by moving further to the right they will have helped give us a government much further to the left. It is a thing of beauty watching it all play out. 

15 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Portillo moments (the all time total of cabinet ministers to lose their seat is 12)

The thing is, none of these will be genuine Portillo moments. For it to be a genuine Portillo, it needs to be not predicted in advance, so it’s a shock.

And on this very subject…

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

A Reform facebook group popped up on my timeline earlier after a friend (I use the term loosely) commented on one of their posts about how he was voting for them. I read some of the thread and many of them genuinely believe they are actually going to win the election and the rest of us are in for a huge shock. I guess this comes from living in an echo chamber. Some of the racist comments on there whilst unsurprising were also sickening.

How are some of these brain dead, racist bastards going to handle only taking a handful of seats. I am sure the conspiracy theories will instantly start. I wonder when the penny is also going to drop that for many of them by deciding that Tories aren't right wing enough for them by moving further to the right they will have helped give us a government much further to the left. It is a thing of beauty watching it all play out. 

Conspiracy theories  is spot on. For people with that mindset, the response to being wrong is not to examine why they might have been wrong, but to find small snippets to support a narrative of betrayal or foul play. 

We've  all probably done it at some point ("ref was biased" etc), and it was evident to some extent of some remainers to the referendum,  but it seems particularly prevalent and poisonous  amongst the far right today (and after WWI)

• Like 3

Which telly channel is the one to watch it on? Are there any little rivers?

Think I might try Channel 4, rather than the BeebyCee.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bickster said:

The thing is, none of these will be genuine Portillo moments. For it to be a genuine Portillo, it needs to be not predicted in advance, so it’s a shock.

And on this very subject…

Badenoch and Sunak don't  appear to be on that list... but what should we call the rest if not Portillo moments?

Edit: I will love it, love it if Esther McVey loses her seat 

Edited by one_ian_taylor

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yep I'll be mainly on Ch4 because a whole night of LauraK would make me rather ill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Badenoch and Sunak don't  appear to be on that list... but what should we call the rest if not Portillo moments?

Moments of national clarity :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Gotta be a bit of GBNews thrown in there, I want to see them just after Farridge loses Clacton.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Villatalk when tories reign of terror ends in 48 hours 😜

Screenshot_20240703_184437_Chrome.jpg

Sorry, I went early.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Gotta be a bit of GBNews thrown in there, I want to see them just after Farridge loses Clacton.

Sadly I have a feeling you may be denied that opportunity. Hope I'm wrong obviously and if I am wrong, there’s a little bit of Japanese Whiskey in the cupboard for that moment.

Just now, bickster said:

Sadly I have a feeling you may be denied that opportunity. Hope I'm wrong obviously and if I am wrong, there’s a little bit of Japanese Whiskey in the cupboard for that moment.

It would be the nearest thing to an actual Portillo.

• Like 2

The polls close at 2 pm Pacific ... even though "the Pacific" is an hour's flight away ... Going to be interesting.

And when I say "interesting" I mean much the same way bull baiting might have been deemed interesting at the time.

9 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Edit: I will love it, love it if Esther McVey loses her seat 

McVile does have a history of losing… :D 

Braverman would absolutely be a Portillo moment (so would Badenoch but can’t see that at all - Sunak slightly more likely)

There's also JRM

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â