Glastonbury 2024

T-Dog

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

i saw her perform at a festival in Madrid in 2018 , the audience was predominantly blokes as she performed in not much more than a bikini .. without question it’s why everyone was there , had she looked like Adele she’d have been playing to an almost empty stage:

Reading an article on her just now , she does appear to be a very astute business woman and has co written a lot more music than I’ve given her credit for , so i guess i owe her an apology and  she does have some talent … but not enough to sing live at Glastonbury if you believe the internet tonight 😛

The bits I watched it did look like some of the vocals were pre-recorded.  The music didn't really sound live to me either.  I've no issue with pop artists headlining but usually it seems more like a proper live show with a big band.  Tbh this whole Glastonbury doesn't seem particularly geared to my taste.

10 hours ago, picicata said:

Dual Lipa has the stink of Eurovision coming off her

I actually tried to give her a listen once because future nostalgia was getting good reviews and as far as pop songs go this is actually a great song 

But there's nothing there, she's really bland, nothing even slightly catchy like pop can be, where a song doesn't have to be good it just has to stick in your head, she's not got that either 

Then again didn't billed eilish headline a couple of years back? Shes the same, I've tried and there's just nothing there 

LCD Soundsystem the best set on Friday for me. Enjoyed Fontaines DC too despite them never really doing it for me. 

• Like 1

Any idea why BBC have cut down the YouTube highlights so much in the last couple of years?

Used to be loads, not as much as iPlayer but say seemingly 70% including some full sets 

Now it's about 12 songs from various artists 

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Any idea why BBC have cut down the YouTube highlights so much in the last couple of years?

Cuts vs resource allocation.

The BBC may get less still in future years?

Melvin Benn runs Glastonbury now, and it's clear from this year he's looking to monetise.

Bloc Party would peak my interest, love them, but other than that it's a bit 'meh'. 

Disclosure will probably be a good watch if you like that sort of music. 

Was just browsing while waiting for the footy to begin and watched 10mins of Fat White Family. 

Wtf 😂

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Bloc Party would peak my interest, love them, but other than that it's a bit 'meh'. 

New song out this week!

It's so **** bad...

For me personally silent alarm is the best album of the 00s and I was still clinging on at album 4 but they fell off bad, really bad 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

New song out this week!

It's so **** bad...

For me personally silent alarm is the best album of the 00s and I was still clinging on at album 4 but they fell off bad, really bad 

Thing with Bloc Party is, each album is usually totally different. 

They will still have 1 or 2 guitar/drum lead goers, but there is a lot of diversity and experimental stuff which will lose a fan of maybe the first 1 or 2 albums they did. 

My fave is probably Initmacy, I can listen to that from start to finish. 

Still, I thought they did a good set and will probably have a few new fans reaching for their back catalogue over the coming days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Thing with Bloc Party is, each album is usually totally different. 

They will still have 1 or 2 guitar/drum lead goers, but there is a lot of diversity and experimental stuff which will lose a fan of maybe the first 1 or 2 albums they did. 

My fave is probably Initmacy, I can listen to that from start to finish. 

Still, I thought they did a good set and will probably have a few new fans reaching for their back catalogue over the coming days. 

Yeah the setlist is good

Played Brum last night on the first night of a UK tour, played 27 songs I think 25 of them are from the first 4 albums so I'd be more than happy to see them again, they do have the songs in the catalogue 

1 complaint cos I'm a moany bastard, they've recently released all their old stuff on Spotify, two more years, tulips, little thoughts etc and yet none of them are on the setlist

I'm not a fan of ten year anniversary album tours (but I do own bloc party's silent alarm 10 year tour) I think Liam Gallagher is currently tearing that script up, plays the DM album in full + the B sides but in an order that suits a live performance rather than just the album tracklist 

• Like 1

Just watching Jungle on catchup while washing up, they got a brilliant vibe to their set but you can't see sod all on the stage cos they got some hideous red glow going on. 

Think the missus wants to watch Coldplay later, luckily I got plenty of wine 😐

Michael Kiwanuka and little simz before Coldplay should be interesting, hope both go with a big band

Coldplay seem to be benefitting massively from not a lot of competition, dua lipa last night had to contend with fontaines and idles 

That said ocean colour scene on the acoustic stage should be where everyone is 

• Like 1

Was just about to come on to ask who the fook Corinne Bailey Rae was and what a terrible racket (at risk of sounding like an old man, though I am generally into bands who cause a bit of a racket) with no melodies at all, at least for the songs she played. Then she went and did the one song I did know which is very melodic "Put Your Records On". 

Has she had a dramatic change of style or something because the rest was just noise. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Was just about to come on to ask who the fook Corinne Bailey Rae was and what a terrible racket (at risk of sounding like an old man, though I am generally into bands who cause a bit of a racket) with no melodies at all, at least for the songs she played. Then she went and did the one song I did know which is very melodic "Put Your Records On". 

Has she had a dramatic change of style or something because the rest was just noise. 

Her latest album is her going back to her indie roots, something about starting again after the very tragic death of her partner

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Last Dinner Party smashed it 

See I'm watching them now with anticipation because of a few comments I've seen like this but I'm mainly finding them a bit dull. Not bad, just dull in a Coldplay kind of way.  Obviously their sound is a lot different to the usual fare so they're interesting musically, just a bit dull for me. 

Edited by sidcow

I'll throw it out there cos I'm not ashamed....

Coldplays first two albums are class, the third and fourth are ok

The general opinion of them is a bit unfair 

They'll be perfectly fine if unspectacular tonight 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just caught up with The Vaccines on Red Button. Not gonna lie I'm a big fan but they've blown away anything I've seen. Absolutely immense. 

The mosh pit during If You Wanna looked intense😁

Gutted they didn't play (or red button didn't show) Nørgaard though. That was my ringtone for a couple of years. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'll throw it out there cos I'm not ashamed....

Coldplays first two albums are class, the third and fourth are ok

The general opinion of them is a bit unfair 

They'll be perfectly fine if unspectacular tonight 

Hoping it's a more upbeat one tonight, their recent stuff is a bit more dancey and less drone.

To be honest, I can't remember the last Glasto with such a lack of stuff I'd wanna watch or catch up on. 

I wanted to see the D Block Europe set but there is hardly anything on iPlayer for some reason.