Glastonbury 2024

T-Dog

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My guess is that Lizzo was likely the original headliner, then she **** that up. If not booked, was lined up to be. 

I think they thought they'd get Madonna at some point, and then Stevie Wonder was in the frame again after that, but neither worked out.

• Like 1

it would be a better event if they had random snippers scattered around the place and anyone on someone's shoulders was fair game  ... sort of like squid game but for self entitled clearings in the woods 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've never even heard of her. I'm miles away from her Demographic but I'd expect to at least have heard of a Glastonbury headliner. 

i didn't even know if it was a her or a him, never heard of her, not a clue what genre or if i've ever heard a song from her, where she's from, literally anything

dont think thats ever been the case at glastonbury before

they really needed taylor swift

On 29/06/2024 at 23:22, sidcow said:

Just catching up on David Bowie from Glastonbury 2000 I've had recorded for a few years and just noticed in my shows. 

2 things that hit me straight away.

1.The crowd is SO much  smaller than today. Anything beyond the sound booth was very sparse of people. You'd need to go twice as far out today to get any kind of space (unless the booth is a lot closer than today) 

2.There were little camp fires EVERYWHERE. Possibly because of the space people had but some were even close or possible inside the inner circle. Just hundreds of them. I assume this was some kind of tradition that was then stopped at some point.  Maybe any long term festival goers can confirm? 

I was there that year, and the crowd was prohibitive. It could have been scheduling, leading to people rushing from Pyramid to Other stage, but I was stuck in a massive human crush between the two at one point. Rumour had it that the fence was breached.

Anyway, ive been loads of times, but not been able to get tickets for more than a decade now. Maybe they have improved infrastructure? There seems more stages now too, which will dilute the crowd.

And Bowie? I was never much of a fan, but when I saw that gig, I knew what stage presence meant. I knew he'd walked on stage without seeing him. It was inexplicable and magical.

I wonder if the camp fires got stopped after what happened at Woodstock around the same time. 

Basically, they burnt it down. 

But to be fair, that was the dumb organisers who decided to give everyone a candle and a weekend of absolutely chaos. 

I was out with a friend this weekend and we talked about a Glastonbury Festival we attended together in the early 90s. I have been 4 times in total, twice in the early 90s and twice in the early 2000s. I have not returned. I do also remember though, in front of the main stage you had plenty of room to “enjoy” Rage against the machine and The Levellers, who weren’t headliners but were very popular with the Glastonbury crowd at that time. The crowd even for headliners never really went further than the tree that was (maybe still is) set back from the main stage.
The only memory of real crowding would have been in the 90s, 92 or 93 and the second stage, the NME stage as it was back then, was absolutely rammed for Primal Scream and The Orb. I think though it just suffered from being a crowded space as Family Cat/Frank and Walters/Cud all seemed rammed (possibly different years).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The only memory of real crowding would have been in the 90s, 92 or 93 and the second stage, the NME stage as it was back then, was absolutely rammed for Primal Scream and The Orb. I think though it just suffered from being a crowded space as Family Cat/Frank and Walters/Cud all seemed rammed (possibly different years).

I remember watching The Who on Sunday in 2007, not much further back than the sound booth and having plenty of space around me. 

Could have been the five-days-of-festival smell that caused it though I suppose. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I remember watching The Who on Sunday in 2007, not much further back than the sound booth and having plenty of space around me. 

Could have been the five-days-of-festival smell that caused it though I suppose. 

Chemical Brothers pulled in a big crowd at the Other Stage at the same time too

57 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I wonder if the camp fires got stopped after what happened at Woodstock around the same time. 

But to be fair, that was the dumb organisers who decided to give everyone a candle and a weekend of absolutely chaos. 

Oh man, they don't do the camp fires any more? That was one of the best bits. Getting there on Wednesday and bagging some firewood so you could sit round the fire every night and talk to your mates about what you'd just seen.

Posted (edited)

There were big changes in 2002.

The fortress fence went up and behind the scenes Mean Fiddler (Leeds/Reading then) were brought in.

Mean Fiddler were sort of considered to be the enemy. The way they'd muscled into Reading was widely considered to be underhand.

Yet Glastonbury was having more and more issues with compliance. Mendip council were threatening to shut it down.

In 2002 an unlikely alliance was formed. It didn't particularly go well. There was a revolt that was still rumbling on when I left site :)

Returned in 2003 expecting a continuation of hostilities, but it was surprisingly calm.

In the close season Mendip council had lost patience and were intent on shutting the festival down.

Yet at the public consultation Glastonbury was saved, by Melvin Benn. Essentially Darth Vader of the festival scene. Palpatine being Vince Power, the head of Mean Fiddler.

Melvin's turn was impressive enough to both soothe Mendip and pretty much quell the rebellion back on site.

Since then Glastonbury's been getting safer.

Earthworks, choke points, drainage, loos...

... but, Michael's old now. Emily's still involved, but reluctant to immerse in the festival to the extent of her Father. Melvin's been given much more control. The characters he's brought in and the succession of staff in the site office don't bode particularly well.

You can see the monetisation happening. Extra camping fields within the fortress perimeter, and so much glamping on the fringes this year.

That said, as a punter, this isn't what you're interested in. It's the entertainment. The fields are individual festivals in their own right and they're run by good people.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

There’s a great documentary on that 

I got no beef with Sleaford Mods, but not entirely sure what this is about.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/glastonbury-2024-sleaford-mods-criticise-the-crowd/

Vocalist Jason Williamson, who was annoyed by the less-than-impressive numbers in the audience during their slot, hit out at the festival for the arrangement. “There’s too many **** people here. Not at our gig, I might add,” he said. “We played this stage ten years ago, and it’s still the **** same. Glastonbury, **** off.”

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They seem to be angry about an awful lot of things. It must be exhausting. 

I agree with that. At first it felt like part of the act, now it just seems incredibly sour. Shame.

I will play devil’s advocate for a second. My views on Sleaford Mods have been mentioned on here but maybe they are disappointed at their lack of progress at Glastonbury. Perhaps they feel that they deserve a larger stage as at other festivals they have a bigger platform. My theory, thats all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I will play devil’s advocate for a second. My views on Sleaford Mods have been mentioned on here but maybe they are disappointed at their lack of progress at Glastonbury. Perhaps they feel that they deserve a larger stage as at other festivals they have a bigger platform. My theory, thats all. 

Yeah, I get that, but surely they must've known what time they were playing, where they were playing and who else was on at the same time.