limpid

General Election Results 2024  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/24 at 17:00

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Do Boris and Rishi really give a toss about the election results? Boris is banned from the commons and Rishi will be in California on July 5th searching for TechBro jobs.

I'm all for giving the Tories a political kicking but how many of the front bench and other Tory "heavyweights" will be really worried about losing? They'll all be cashing in the chips they got for making their donors rich and from all the lobbying they did for China, oil companies, and the banks.

They'll never feel any shame, guilt, or pain for the last 14 years. The last laugh will still be on the country.

A good chunk of these Tory MP are some of the most egotistical bastards you could ever come across. Come Friday most of them will have lost their seats and been part of the biggest election defeat in the history of the Tories and they'll feel that punch to their ego.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon said:

They're barely even dialling it in any more.  They're seen the writing on the wall.  

My only concern now is how long I can stay up for (* kenneth gif) on Thursday night 

I don't  think it's  a KW if you are actually, physically and very understandably tumescent with excitement at waving goodbye to this shower of effluent

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

Reform gaining traction with younger people too? 😕

Nothing to see here I don’t think, the left/centre-left share is 66% versus the right share of 23%. Reform have had good marketing, but that’s largely down to Farage (who’s awful, but great at putting himself in the right places), and he won’t be around for long before he chases the money elsewhere. 

Combine that with the younger generation’s propensity to vote tactically, and I really think we’re starting to see a generational shift towards the left. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RadioTom said:

Nothing to see here I don’t think, the left/centre-left share is 66% versus the right share of 23%. Reform have had good marketing, but that’s largely down to Farage (who’s awful, but great at putting himself in the right places), and he won’t be around for long before he chases the money elsewhere. 

Combine that with the younger generation’s propensity to vote tactically, and I really think we’re starting to see a generational shift towards the left. 

Which given what's going on elsewhere in the world is actually giving me some hope for this country. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RadioTom said:

I’m not sure you can say it represents a generational shift to the left - any overall shift is going to be masked by the entire country being incredibly anti-Tory this election, including many who would normally be centrist or center-right who are prepared to vote for Starmer’s Labour. I think next election will be a much better gauge of whether there’s been any permanent shift.

As the above post alluded to, younger generations are shifting to the right in many countries right now.

7 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It's  a worrying trend, but not totally surprising  Farage has been cosying up to the likes of Andrew Tate who have a younger following. He really is a total  moral  vacuum

Interesting about Andrew Tate, I recently worked alongside a mid 20's service engineer who spent most of the week going on about this geezer and how he looked up to him.....!

I am a 66 year old fart who knows the difference between an Andrew Tate and a decent human being.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Which given what's going on elsewhere in the world is actually giving me some hope for this country. 

But then again why are other European countries moving in the opposite direction?

Most of the European countries have been left/centre left for years, are you saying that the voters in Europe are wrong, and why do you think they have been disenfranchised by their left/centre left governments?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

But then again why are other European countries moving in the opposite direction?

Most of the European countries have been left/centre left for years, are you saying that the voters in Europe are wrong, and why do you think they have been disenfranchised by their left/centre left governments?

My point exactly in the Global right wing thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Interesting about Andrew Tate, I recently worked alongside a mid 20's service engineer who spent most of the week going on about this geezer and how he looked up to him.....!

I am a 66 year old fart who knows the difference between an Andrew Tate and a decent human being.

Farage is also going big on Tiktok. 

There has never been a shortage of young male anger. Farage is clearly going for it, as have people like Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson before. And let's face it, Jordan Peterson is little more than Andrew Tate in a blazer pretending to be intellectual. None of them have the slightest understanding of the richness of male existence, but seem to be able to tap into rage quite successfully. 

• Like 3

After all of the shouting and silly pr stunts the polls have hardly moved for the main parties and the smaller ones have picked up  a bit of support.I think it shows most people have made up their minds months ago apart from Farage entering the race and the libd dems and greens picking up some tactical votes I don't think the last six weeks will make a lot of difference.  

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The GE has begun.  

I have collected the ballot box, ballot paper and electoral register from the Council.  They are now in a secure location in a colleagues house.   We have checked the ballot papers to ensure they have been printed correctly.  We have enough for everyone in my polling station area to vote although that's never happened.  

Other members of the team are delivering voting boothes, signs and stationery to all the polling locations.  At my station a disabled ramp is required.  That will be installed today. 

Once I get to the Polling Station I am not allowed to leave.  So I am putting together a stock of food and drinks for the entire day.  

After the day is over I shall have a few hours sleep and then settle down in front of the TV to watch the results come in.  

PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE!   

People have died to obtain and preserve our democracy.  It's not a perfect system but there's no better alternative.  

If you don't want to vote for any of the candidate's -  turn up and write that on you ballot paper.  Spoilt papers are counted and analysed.  

If you are unsure about anything, ask the polling station staff.  We are there to help you vote and make the turnout as high as possible.  

Agree with the essence of your post, but I thought counting spoiled votes varied by constituency? Some do and some don't. Happy to be corrected if that's wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Agree with the essence of your post, but I thought counting spoiled votes varied by constituency? Some do and some don't. Happy to be corrected if that's wrong. 

Self quoting, but come to think of it maybe it's including spoiled ballots when they the announce the results that varies, not whether they are actually counted. 

• Like 1

Met the grandmother of my daughter's best friend yesterday. She's 59 and has never voted before. Except for Brexit. (You can guess where this is going). I asked her why and she said she'd never been bothered.

Tomorrow she's going to vote in a national election for the first time. She's voting Reform because she quite likes Nigel Farage. When I said he was in part responsible for mess we're in economically she laughed and walked away.

32 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The good thing about the election is that you know the results as soon as it's over. The Exit Poll will be very accurate despite the news companies trying to tell you it's not. 

Yes but it does spoil the jeopardy somewhat during the night as they are so much more accurate now. It isn't just the Labour party who are forever scarred by 1992, pollsters as well never hear the end of it.