limpid

General Election Results 2024  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/24 at 17:00

4 minutes ago, MCU said:

Why did Labour lose in 2010?

My view and its off topic for this thread as this is this years general election. My view was that they became disconnected from the electorate, Brown was very cold and didn’t win people over and a the rise in small part of Lib Dems. Others may have a more detailed view but thats what I recall. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My view and its off topic for this thread as this is this years general election. My view was that they became disconnected from the electorate, Brown was very cold and didn’t win people over and a the rise in small part of Lib Dems. Others may have a more detailed view but thats what I recall. 

The biggest reason by a mile is the same biggest reason they'll win this one.

"We're sick of you lot and it's time to let the other ones have a go for a bit"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Hmmmm, ones man’s character assassination is another man’s saying and doing foolish things. Starmer doesn’t  really have the media on his side, he's just given them as little ammo as possible.

Which a lot of people demonise him for. 

6 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I wish I could get exited about this election, but just can't. Whoever gets in over the Tories will spend the next 4 years complaining that they are fire fighting and fixing the mess the Tories made, nothing will change for the good of any of us mere mortals. It'll be same sh1t, different party. I'm considering not voting, unless theres a 'non of the above' option on the ballot.

andy-murray-scream.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Because of the FPTP voting system more than 50% of the votes cast in the election would be meaningless and a vast of time. Do something useful instead.

You are right the two parties are more or less the same and most people would not experience any difference whoever is in power. An other reason to do something worthwhile on election day that don’t include voting. 

As above 

Just now, bielesibub said:

you just realised there were no sheds or shed tax breaks on any of the manifestos?

No I'm just utterly sick to the back teeth of this utterly nonsense argument that Labour will be exactly the same and nothing will change. 

It's bollocks AND it's a damaging narrative. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Because people were unhappy with Blair taking us into Iraq. 

No, it was the economy, like it always is. 

2010 was the first election after the GFC. No government will win when the economy is in the doldrums.

Just like at the moment when governments all over the world are being turfed out. 

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t demonise Starmer. I’d just call out on all the times he’s gone back on his word, or pledge, or promise. Or when he’s made a big deal about knowing the law, but couldn’t quite see war crimes in mass punishment of civilians.

One of the very first promises of the Starmer age was that the days of parachuting in candidates from London to the regions and nations was over. Come the very first test, in comes his mate Torsten Bell for Swansea, in comes his aid Alex Baros Curtis for Cardiff. The presumed Cardiff candidate, gets bumped to Barry. To date, you can’t trust a word Starmer says.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I wouldn’t demonise Starmer. I’d just call out on all the times he’s gone back on his word, or pledge, or promise. Or when he’s made a big deal about knowing the law, but couldn’t quite see war crimes in mass punishment of civilians.

One of the very first promises of the Starmer age was that the days of parachuting in candidates from London to the regions and nations was over. Come the very first test, in comes his mate Torsten Bell for Swansea, in comes his aid Alex Baros Curtis for Cardiff. The presumed Cardiff candidate, gets bumped to Barry. To date, you can’t trust a word Starmer says.

That last sentence is very concerning 

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No I'm just utterly sick to the back teeth of this utterly nonsense argument that Labour will be exactly the same and nothing will change. 

It's bollocks AND it's a damaging narrative. 

You’re right, it could change for the worse

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

You’re right, it could change for the worse

Sure, nothing's impossible. The bar for that to happen has been set incredibly high* though.

*or low, depending on your perspective. 

Edited by ml1dch

We had talk a few weeks ago about opposition coalitions…

That was all about the unlikely (IMO) marriage of Tory and Reform

There is another scenario that is actually more likely.

If the LibDems are a couple of seats short of the Tory total, they could in theory team up with NI's Alliance Party who are likely to get 3 MPs. They are sister parties and part of the same Liberal global alliance thing after all and I may be imagining this but didn’t one of them voluntarily take the LibDem whip in the last parliament? It would be an attractive proposition, if say the leader of the Alliance Party were to become say Shadow NI Secretary as part of the deal

Now that then brings the DUP into play on the Tory side possibly but that would be a huge risk for both of them as they aren’t exactly best pleased with each other and the DUP really have nothing to gain (or in other words the Tory Party have nothing to bribe them with this time)