limpid

General Election Results 2024  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/24 at 17:00

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Assets purchased with taxed income and then taxed again. The fat cats will find a way around it as always and its the regular people that save and invest for their futures that are penalised. 

Might as well put CGT on primary house sales as that hits the average person as well.

If you stuck the surplus of your wages in the building society, the interest on that is taxed again. It’s exactly the same process and principal

The curious exception is ISAs. Stick 20 grand a year in, and will "never" be taxed regardless of how much you make on it (I put it in quotes as I suspect a government will come for those at some point). It does seem very very odd that you'll be taxed for making anything over as little as 3k in a year via CGT, but you can be racking up multiples of that in an ISA wrapper with an annual allowance that regular people would hardly touch the sides of.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m trying to educate myself more 🙂

I have respect for you holding your hands up  when you don't know something, and there's a lot to be said for just discussing things and figuring out where you stand on it.

The thing I find somewhat frustrating is we're less than a week out, and the stuff you want to talk about is stuff the right wing media and Reform/Tories go on about, which by your own admission you don't really know that much about, and which broadly speaking doesn't really affect your life in the slightest.

What are you going to base your vote on, it's not going to be sharia, capital gains or small boats, is it?

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Assets purchased with taxed income and then taxed again. The fat cats will find a way around it as always and its the regular people that save and invest for their futures that are penalised. 

Might as well put CGT on primary house sales as that hits the average person as well.

I pay tax on my wages, then with what’s left, I get to buy things with VAT on them.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I pay tax on my wages, then with what’s left, I get to buy things with VAT on them.

Not if you buy Jaffa Cakes ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I have respect for you holding your hands up  when you don't know something, and there's a lot to be said for just discussing things and figuring out where you stand on it.

The thing I find somewhat frustrating is we're less than a week out, and the stuff you want to talk about is stuff the right wing media and Reform/Tories go on about, which by your own admission you don't really know that much about, and which broadly speaking doesn't really affect your life in the slightest.

What are you going to base your vote on, it's not going to be sharia, capital gains or small boats, is it?

Definitely won’t be voting on those things alone. I’ve got my opinion on sharia but it doesn’t effect me in a voting sense whatsoever.  Made a comment on capital gains. Immigration is a proper issue along with NHS . Also think we should do our bit for the environment. More stop and search and to reduce knife crime. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Noticed a big flag at Glastonbury declaring that Jaffa Cakes are biscuits. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Man cannot live by imperialist forever war military-industrial complex citrus fruits alone.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Noticed a big flag at Glastonbury declaring that Jaffa Cakes are biscuits. 

Bloody Labour Party wanting to tax our cakes. Yes I want to have my cake and eat it.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Definitely won’t be voting on those things alone. I’ve got my opinion on sharia but it doesn’t effect me in a voting sense whatsoever.  Made a comment on capital gains. Immigration is a proper issue along with NHS . Also think we should do our bit for the environment. More stop and search and to reduce knife crime. 

Labour are over turning the Tory ban on land based wind turbines (also incidentally the cheapest form of electricity generation we have) and forming a publicly owned clean energy company to invest in UK Green energy projects, so for example we have wind farms owned and run by a UK Publicly owned company instead of a French publicly owned company. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I can’t see it stopping the boats completely, but that’s probably an impossible task anyway

There didn't used to be any boats at all. So it's certainly not impossible.  Although that was when we were in the EU.

24 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I do wonder what lives people must have led the last 14 years to allow them to enter the polling booth on Thursday and stick an X next to a Tory. Surely everyone must have been affected, or know someone who has been adversely affected, by all the cuts to our public services, must have been affected financially by the reckless management of the economy, must have been affected by Brexit, must have been affected by how the poorest, most vulnerable, those of a different ethnicity have been stigmatised. 

Just this morning I had another stark reminder of what these Tory bastards have done. A friend of mines wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few weeks ago after waiting an age for diagnosis and then treatment (cancer waiting times are the worst on record after 12 years of decline). She collapsed at home on Thursday and waited 14 hours for an ambulance. Turns out waiting for that ambulance was how she spent much of here last few hours as she died yesterday. I'll have her and others in mind when I go to stick my X.

Yes, I also wonder about that. Old people? The decimation of the NHS and Social services when you're likely heading towards being reliant on them seems like shooting yourself in the face voting for them to me. 

Poor/unemployed people will have seen their support services slashed. 

Business owners have seen the European markets taken from them and poor export deals instead of the promised revolution in trading relationships. 

Literally the ONLY people who come out of it well would be multi millionaires who can carry on tax dodging and don't care about using the NHS as they'll be in private hospitals. 

People who can't buy their own home and probably never will. 

The number of acts of self harm committed in the name of voting for them is staggering...... And for what? 

• Like 4

Sunak also refused to accept that there had been any regrets in the campaign, even though he’s very publicly apologised for one massive one and pretty much all of country can think of a few other regrets he should have.

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I also wonder about that. Old people? The decimation of the NHS and Social services when you're likely heading towards being reliant on them seems like shooting yourself in the face voting for them to me. 

Poor/unemployed people will have seen their support services slashed. 

Business owners have seen the European markets taken from them and poor export deals instead of the promised revolution in trading relationships. 

Literally the ONLY people who come out of it well would be multi millionaires who can carry on tax dodging and don't care about using the NHS as they'll be in private hospitals. 

People who can't buy their own home and probably never will. 

The number of acts of self harm committed in the name of voting for them is staggering...... And for what? 

Would have been even worse under Labour though, innit.

I can only think of a couple of rationales really, either not wanting to admit your previous votes have had poor outcomes, or literally just going along with what the press say with no further understanding or scrutiny.

55 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I do wonder what lives people must have led the last 14 years to allow them to enter the polling booth on Thursday and stick an X next to a Tory. Surely everyone must have been affected, or know someone who has been adversely affected, by all the cuts to our public services, must have been affected financially by the reckless management of the economy, must have been affected by Brexit, must have been affected by how the poorest, most vulnerable, those of a different ethnicity have been stigmatised. 

Just this morning I had another stark reminder of what these Tory bastards have done. A friend of mines wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few weeks ago after waiting an age for diagnosis and then treatment (cancer waiting times are the worst on record after 12 years of decline). She collapsed at home on Thursday and waited 14 hours for an ambulance. Turns out waiting for that ambulance was how she spent much of her last few hours as she died yesterday. I'll have her and others in mind when I go to stick my X.

Bogus PPE supplier 

Edit: there are plenty who benefit from increased inequality. Just fewer of them as time goes on

Edited by one_ian_taylor