limpid

General Election Results 2024  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/24 at 17:00

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say rich. If I make a £5k profit on an investment, i have to pay CGT on £2k of it. It’s hardly teaching the fat cats a lesson. 

Yeah but it will raise a lot more money from the rich than it will from the rest of us 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

You know the Tories turned down the offer of having a processing centre in France?

You don’t see it mentioned much in the press for some reason

France24

The Tories refused. Labour will take up that offer.

So when you see the boats on the telly, remember that it is down to the Tory Party refusing that offer

Why did they refuse it do you know? Also this processing centre how would it operate. Asylum seekers just turn up , get processed then enter the uk? 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why did they refuse it do you know? Also this processing centre how would it operate. Asylum seekers just turn up , get processed then enter the uk? 

Or actually refused asylum.

Why did they refuse it? Well you can probably put that down to a number of things. Co-operate with France - the optics for the whoppers that voted for them were wrong, didn’t work, now voting Reform. Having people actually drown in the channel acts as a deterrent (it doesn’t) and the whoppers actually like it. You can’t have a slogan of stop the boats if there aren’t any. The narrative is obviously completely different to this but the small boats thing growing is pretty much the fault of the Tory Party.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The Tories could do something like this at any time and it would stop the boats. But they won’t because it will be seen as doing something FOR the people on the boats. 

words removed in this country would rather see asylum seekers shot and drowned rather than helped. And the Tories won’t risk going against that. 

If the Tories put as much money into the admin and resources it would take to properly and quickly process these people and helping the ones that are legally here and getting rid of the ones who are illegally here, it would do a hundred times more for immigration than sinking hundreds of millions into gimmicks like Rwanda

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or actually refused asylum.

I’d like to know what warrants asylum in the uk. I’m not saying I’m against immigration because economic migration is good, but it needs to be properly controlled . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes I agree with your comment Rugeley.

Another scenario, imagine this processing centre gets built then in France to process all those currently trying to cross illegally into the UK. Those that are genuine get granted access, but those who don't and get refused, where do they go?......let me guess back into the small boats...

I cannot see having some asylum processing centre in France will practically work to be honest.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’d like to know what warrants asylum in the uk. I’m not saying I’m against immigration because economic migration is good, but it needs to be properly controlled . 

Here you go ;) 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/considering-asylum-claims-and-assessing-credibility-instruction/assessing-credibility-and-refugee-status-in-asylum-claims-lodged-on-or-after-28-june-2022-accessible#bookmark42

...if it is more likely than not that:

the claimant has a characteristic which would cause them to fear persecution for one or more of the convention reasons, and that they do in fact fear persecution

...when making findings about the material elements of the claim, decision-makers must only accept those elements that meet the standard of the balance of the probabilities, after the benefit of the doubt is applied, and no longer accept those material elements that are only reasonably likely to be true.

At ‘Stage Two’, the decision-maker must assess whether there is a real risk that the claimant would in fact face the harm they fear if they returned to their country of nationality...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

To stay in the UK as a refugee you must be unable to live safely in any part of your own country because you fear persecution there.

If you’re stateless, your own country is the country you usually live in.

This persecution must be because of:

your race

your religion

your nationality

your political opinion

anything else that puts you at risk because of the social, cultural, religious or political situation in your country, for example, your gender, gender identity or sexual orientation

You must have failed to get protection from authorities in your own country.

Here

Just now, delboy54 said:

Another scenario, imagine this processing centre gets built then in France to process all those currently trying to cross illegally into the UK. Those that are genuine get granted access, but those who don't and get refused, where do they go?......let me guess back into the small boats...

I cannot see having some asylum processing centre in France will practically work to be honest.

They might go back to boats. But there would be far less of them. 

And then it would be much easier to police those boats because you would KNOW they were illegal immigrants and not asylum seekers. The genuine asylum seekers or legal migrants would have gone to the UK via the safe route(s) and would to have to risk the boats. 

The reason there are so many boats is because there is no safe way for these people, who have every right to come here, to get here

its not rocket science

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say rich. If I make a £5k profit on an investment, i have to pay CGT on £2k of it. 

My heart bleeds. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

I can’t see it stopping the boats completely, but that’s probably an impossible task anyway.   Without immigration we are **** but too much and we are equally ****.  We got to do what’s right for the country and not the individual. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

How do we know who’s genuine. Far too many come without fear in their own country. 

And those people are refused asylum. But is it better to do that in France or pile them into hotels in the UK then not process them for absolutely months and years in end.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How do we know who’s genuine. Far too many come without fear in their own country. 

Then they’ll get refused asylum. 

Put money into the resources you need to properly and quickly register and vet these people to make sure you’re getting the ones who are genuine

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say rich. If I make a £5k profit on an investment, i have to pay CGT on £2k of it. Its hardly teaching the fat cats a lesson. 

It's worth noting that due to the personal allowance (which you rightly say has been slashed - I wouldn't be opposed to that being lifted up, especially if the tax rate goes up) you'd actually need to make 8k profit to pay £2k tax (currently you can make 13k profit and only pay 2k tax) 

I'd be in favour of bumping the tax rate up, but also taking the personal allowance back up to encourage small investors while making the people whose main source of income is capital gains pay their fair share.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

And those people are refused asylum. But is it better to do that in France or pile them into hotels in the UK then not process them for absolutely months and years in end.

Obviously better to do that offshore 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My heart bleeds. 

Assets purchased with taxed income and then taxed again. The fat cats will find a way around it as always and its the regular people that save and invest for their futures that are penalised. 

Might as well put CGT on primary house sales as that hits the average person as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's worth noting that due to the personal allowance (which you rightly say has been slashed - I wouldn't be opposed to that being lifted up, especially if the tax rate goes up) you'd actually need to make 8k profit to pay £2k tax (currently you can make 13k profit and only pay 2k tax) 

I'd be in favour of bumping the tax rate up, but also taking the personal allowance back up to encourage small investors while making the people whose main source of income is capital gains pay their fair share.

Yeah, agree. No issue on paying CGT at income tax levels if the threshold was put back to £12k. That level seems fair to me, or even £10k. £3k is too low IMO. 

• Like 1