limpid

General Election Results 2024  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/24 at 17:00

i had to read the article. it was ridiculous. i basically read it as "we prefer tory and reform policies, but labour are going to win so we support them"

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i had to read the article. it was ridiculous. i basically read it as "we prefer tory and reform policies, but labour are going to win so we support them"

The one thing they hate more than a Labour government is their own irrelevance.

And immigrants. And the scousers. 

Edited by Davkaus

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Gloryhunters. 

• Like 1

I will believe it when I see it. I'm certain people will get cold feet in the voting booths and go back to tory. At least the reform side of things. The switchers to lib dem more likely to maintain the switch  think. But yeah I'm still expecting 150-170 odd tory seats when the dust settles

• Like 1

I’d hoped for something a bit more than 3 minutes of a Johnson come back yesterday evening. I’d rather hoped they were going to do some sort of PM’s Assemble and have them all zip wire in from different directions and do the Theresa May strut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It will be disappointing if the Tories scrape past triple figures though.

I don’t think there are 4 figures at stake. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, I think the worst result would be if they got something like 102, and we all realise it was so close to double figures. If it is something like 102 I’d like to think there could be a sustained campaign to get 3 of them to resign or get recalled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Voting behaviour is also strongly linked to education levels and home ownership. Both of which are stats which are going away  very much against the tories. 

It's  a fair point, but I think in the longer term is reliant on relative stability - changes in voting behaviour being linked to education levels is a relatively recent phenomenon I think  (few decades, if that?), and not necessarily permanent.

• Like 1

I just sent my mom, sister & niece a Graniad article about everything the Tories have destroyed since 2010. (They all still live in England)

I can’t believe the vitriol I got back. “I’d never vote Labour” - “we all vote Tory or Reform” - “nice try hahahaha”

I’m genuinely in shock

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s sadly a trend across Europe and the West and it will get worse. It is a bad thing, not because the voters are “wrong”, but because the politicians espousing these populist right wing “solutions” are wrong. They’re selling something they can’t provide, and because of the way the traditional parties have been timid in addressing so many issues and prioritising some things over others people are hacked off and more willing to believe the lies from the populist nutters.

I get that Blandy, but that must also apply to the current left wing/centre left governments of Europe not selling their "solutions", to quote you, "something they can't provide and of the way the traditional parties have been timid in addressing so many issues and prioritising some things over others"...

If the current government of whatever colour of whatever country, are not delivering to the electorates expectations, desires or whatever, then democracy and elections should be the tool to change them.

This is what is going to happen in the UK tomorrow.

And in 10 to 15 years time of Labour in government, the pendulum will no doubt swing once more...

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm quite shocked that some of you have married women without knowing their political views. My wife and I wouldn't have got beyond a second date if either of us had had Tory (or worse) leanings. 

Yep finding out political leanings early on is something I always do when getting to know someone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

It means you can go to bed at 10:30PM. No need to stay up late which is a win for all. 

I remember in the late 1960's and 1970's the national newspapers used to print a map of the UK showing each continent. My old man would then set up a table with sharpened different coloured pencils and watch the election TV overnight coverage of the results coming in and then colour in the consistencies with the appropriate coloured pencil ! 

I always watch the first couple of hours or so of the election results coming in on the telly box. Yes I know tomorrow's result is fairly predictable, but its history in the making and democracy in action.....it can be as boring as bo$$ocks to watch though...☺

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I remember in the late 1960's and 1970's the national newspapers used to print a map of the UK showing each continent. My old man would then set up a table with sharpened different coloured pencils and watch the election TV overnight coverage of the results coming in and then colour in the consistencies with the appropriate coloured pencil ! 

I always watch the first couple of hours or so of the election results coming in on the telly box. Yes I know tomorrow's result is fairly predictable, but its history in the making and democracy in action.....it can be as boring as bo$$ocks to watch though...☺

Oh this one won’t be boring :D 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I get that Blandy, but that must also apply to the current left wing/centre left governments of Europe not selling their "solutions", to quote you, "something they can't provide and of the way the traditional parties have been timid in addressing so many issues and prioritising some things over others"...

If the current government of whatever colour of whatever country, are not delivering to the electorates expectations, desires or whatever, then democracy and elections should be the tool to change them.

This is what is going to happen in the UK tomorrow.

And in 10 to 15 years time of Labour in government, the pendulum will no doubt swing once more...

This has been a big frustration of mine with Labour (pie in the sky Corbynism or business as usual Starmer). In fairness to Labour, there's some decent stuff in the manifesto - a balance between realism and trying to put the building blocks for long term change in  place. And their hands  are tied significantly by the dire situation the Tories have left the country in, so I respect that they haven't  gone over the top. 

I'm almost talking myself into voting for them, but their lack of ambition on any constitutional or electoral change and is a bit of a block for me, as is their unwillingness to be open about  some of the big funding questions and reforms needed (climate change, health,  transport), and the way they have gone along (publicly at least) with  the idea that small boats are the most important issue surrounding  immigration (as opposed to the most visible)

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Like 1