Where's your hoover? - Your house is mental pal

T-Dog

1 hour ago, bickster said:

A collection of miners Davy Lamps

That is quite odd Bicks lad. How did that come around? 

I remember my nan use have a few of those (now considered racist I believe) money boxes where you'd put a coin on the fellas hand and press the lever on the back and he'd 'eat' it. I think they may have been considered quite an antique at one point. 

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

That is quite odd Bicks lad. How did that come around? 

My Grandad was a miner. He collected some of them (my mother added more) and one of them is the one he was given by his union lodge on retirement for services to the lodge. It will be exactly the same as this one, presented to Andy Palmer of Crass at their last ever gig (A benefit gig for the miners during the strike in Aberdare) by the lodge president. 

dc3ff5_f288b0e49a1748f08e9286234d84c925~

• Like 3

On 23/06/2024 at 21:18, T-Dog said:

I recently brought my first (second, but she took the first one, I'm over it, calm down, it was ten years ago) house.

I ask this genuinely - where should a hoover live? Is there a hoover cupboard? I don't have one.
Under the stairs, but in the spare bedroom (or its wardrobe/cupboard) is alright. Even out in the shed.

Where do you keep your main, indoor bin?
Kitchen, wherever's convenient for it to not be in the way

Carrier bags? - Drawer? Cupboard? Fussy little swines.
Cupboard along with the cling film (saran wrap), tin foil, freezer bag type stuff

Tea towels - Currently in action, where do they go? Waiting for the call up? Currently rolled up in a big bottom (KW) drawer.
CIA hang beside the sink on a thin metal rail. WFC are in a folded pile close by, but only because that happens to be handy. Otherwise they'd be in the hot press (airing cupboard)

Be interested to hear how the rest of the crew sort their houses. Please share. But particularly the hoover. 

:thumb:

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 19:46, sidcow said:

Each telly we've had in the last 4 has got progressively bigger. And each on on arrival has seemed unfeasibly huge. Then it's just the telly again till you get the next bigger one. 

I have a projector. When I first viewed the flat, 20 years ago, my first thought on entering the lounge was, "Projector wall!" Anyway, the great thing about the projector is that the screen disappears when it's turned off, so no massive black rectangle dominating the room.

Downside of a projector is the brightness/contrast is much lower than a telly, and the power draw is higher. Totally worth it though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bickster said:

My Grandad was a miner. He collected some of them (my mother added more) and one of them is the one he was given by his union lodge on retirement for services to the lodge. It will be exactly the same as this one, presented to Andy Palmer of Crass at their last ever gig (A benefit gig for the miners during the strike in Aberdare) by the lodge president. 

dc3ff5_f288b0e49a1748f08e9286234d84c925~

Love that Bicks

• 4 weeks later...

Brought a label printer for the house. 

Some might say it's the OCD kicking in... I say, I know where the hoover lives now because it's got a nice printed label.

Just gotta do the same now with everything else. Could be a big job, but what house doesn't need some amazing labels.

What a time to be alive.

I don't have any rugs or carpeting, but I have a vacuum cleaner stored either in a closet in a spare room, or in the attic. I do have a little handheld vacuum, that is indispensable, especially with cats crawling around everywhere. I keep it at the ready on the bottom shelf of a cutting board table in the kitchen. 

Trash bin under the sink, where I toss things that won't start to stink within a few days. Produce waste I store in the freezer and then chuck in a compost pit.

I have two recycling bins tucked away in a corner next to my fridge. A bin with a lid where I toss returnable bottles and cans (5-15 cents per can/bottle in Maine), and a big blue bin for everything else. 

I keep a mop and broom hanging on the wall behind the two bins.

Trash bags under the sink.

Paper towels on an upright holder on the kitchen countertop.  

I have a wet vac that is a convenient piece of equipment. It tends to travel between the shed, the cellar, the attic and the spare room.

Lime and shovel in the cellar.

46 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Brought a label printer for the house. 

Some might say it's the OCD kicking in... I say, I know where the hoover lives now because it's got a nice printed label.

Just gotta do the same now with everything else. Could be a big job, but what house doesn't need some amazing labels.

What a time to be alive.

I don't understand. You've put a label on the hoover. How's that going to help anything? 

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I don't have any rugs or carpeting, but I have a vacuum cleaner stored either in a closet in a spare room, or in the attic. I do have a little handheld vacuum, that is indispensable, especially with cats crawling around everywhere. I keep it at the ready on the bottom shelf of a cutting board table in the kitchen. 

Trash bin under the sink, where I toss things that won't start to stink within a few days. Produce waste I store in the freezer and then chuck in a compost pit.

I have two recycling bins tucked away in a corner next to my fridge. A bin with a lid where I toss returnable bottles and cans (5-15 cents per can/bottle in Maine), and a big blue bin for everything else. 

I keep a mop and broom hanging on the wall behind the two bins.

Trash bags under the sink.

Paper towels on an upright holder on the kitchen countertop.  

I have a wet vac that is a convenient piece of equipment. It tends to travel between the shed, the cellar, the attic and the spare room.

Lime and shovel in the cellar.

You have to go to the attic to get Big Hoover out? That is crazy. 

Also, a wet vac - Talk to me, this is why I'm here. Love the idea of a wet vac. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand. You've put a label on the hoover. How's that going to help anything? 

Label says 'ask VT where best to store this ugly ass Dyson" - I think it's serving purpose

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:
14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

You have to go to the attic to get Big Hoover out? That is crazy. 

I don't use it because I don't have rugs/carpets. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Also, a wet vac - Talk to me, this is why I'm here.

I have old pine floorboards with big gaps. The wet vac is great for those gaps. (As is my hand vac, which I recommend for everyone, especially pet owners)

image.png.d0c190d054bb505bb9b6fc9dd8bcc546.png

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â