limpid

General Election Results 2024  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. What will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/06/24 at 17:00

Well yes that is what I meant. The current model is not sustainable and we are heading to a massively ageing society by the mid half of this century. All of it needs to be looked at and social care and whatever model will be chosen it needs further funding almost certainly by higher taxation. But none of the main parties want to admit this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Last line is key.

Lots of people seem to think giving the NHS more money doesn't mean reforming it or restrategising it in any way. And vice versa

People seem to take the view that the NHS shouldn't get any extra money and just need to reform or reshuffle or whatever to fix it. I imagine that's basically impossible.

It needs both.It needs enough money to stop it drowning and give it the headroom it needs to enact any changes it needs. No organisation would be able to make changes on that scale with no money

I think part of peoples issue is the perception that if you give it more money all that'll happen is they'll all give themselves pay rises (which certainly at the bottom of the payscale seem necessary) and the money won't go into net new staff or services.

Hence the "it'll just get swallowed and they'll come asking for more" / "it's never going to be enough" argument.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I think part of peoples issue is the perception that if you give it more money all that'll happen is they'll all give themselves pay rises (which certainly at the bottom of the payscale seem necessary) and the money won't go into net new staff or services.

Hence the "it'll just get swallowed and they'll come asking for more" / "it's never going to be enough" argument.

Well exactly. Which is basically my point. Funding the NHS properly doesn’t mean giving them a cheque and walking away

• Like 2

If they decided to reform the NHS, more money would be spent on the group set up to reform it, rather than actually into the NHS. I mean you gotta fund the, 5 star hotels, company cars, restaurants, strip clubs. 😂

It is funny comparing the WFH experience between the public sector and the private sector. My company gave me a laptop and sent me home to figure the rest out. 

My other half recently got a job working remotely for a public sector healthcare employer and they sent her home with a laptop, a desk, a chair, she asked about printing so they sent her a printer, and then because she had printing capability they had to send her a shredder as well, and a filing cabinet. Once a month they send her a stack of printer paper, a pack of biros, post it notes, all sorts of shite.

If I asked my boss to send me pens to use for work he'd laugh.

And I do know that this doesn't even scratch the surface of NHS expenditure, and that we couldn't solve our waiting list crisis by cutting back on home working expenses, but I could hardly believe the amount of stuff that gets delivered.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It is funny comparing the WFH experience between the public sector and the private sector. My company gave me a laptop and sent me home to figure the rest out. 

My other half recently got a job working remotely for a public sector healthcare employer and they sent her home with a laptop, a desk, a chair, she asked about printing so they sent her a printer, and then because she had printing capability they had to send her a shredder as well, and a filing cabinet. Once a month they send her a stack of printer paper, a pack of biros, post it notes, all sorts of shite.

And I do know that this doesn't even scratch the surface of NHS expenditure, and that we couldn't solve our waiting list crisis by cutting back on home working expenses, but I could hardly believe the amount of stuff that gets delivered.

Must depend on the organisation. I work in the public sector, and it's more like your experience than your wife's  - you can request additional  stuff for home working, but it's by exception rather than standard. All in all a pretty slick operation (and better than some private companies  I've  worked for). 

27 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

That'll be 11 AM here. Is it late enough to crack open the 🥂

Its never to late or early on post Tory day :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

33 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Must depend on the organisation. I work in the public sector, and it's more like your experience than your wife's  - you can request additional  stuff for home working, but it's by exception rather than standard. All in all a pretty slick operation (and better than some private companies  I've  worked for). 

...and, for balance, I work in the private sector and my experience is more like Dav's wife's.  I actually refused some of the equipment because I already had it (2nd additional computer screen, keyboard, desk) but I wish I had taken the office chair as I think my posture just gets worse by the day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

...and, for balance, I work in the private sector and my experience is more like Dav's wife's.  

Gizza job :D 

4 hours ago, Jon said:

I certainly won't be voting for the party that best represents my views.

It's Tory out for me, so it'll be Labour (macclesfield). Like many other constituencies, it's heavily predicted to go to Labour for the first time ever  

Deffo. As an aside, I’m genuinely stunned that this seat I’ve seen one Tory placard only (in a farmers field). One Labour one, loads of the Independent candidate. 3 leaflets through the door, one Labour, one Independent and one Reform. It’s like baby eaters aren’t bothering at all. I know the MP was hoofed in disgrace and maybe all the Tory enablers have jacked it in or whatever, but it’s still just amazing after all these years of having to put up with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Airports, stag-dos, football away days, Christmas Day, morning of a Tory General Election hammering.

The permitted occasions for morning drinking. 

Just don't drive and/or operate heavy machinery

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

To be fair, that's the right way to do it (hers, not yours)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, that's the right way to do it (hers, not yours)

They should make sure home workers have the basic kit to do the job, but each employee having a printer, filing cabinet and shredder sent home instead of reading documents on a screen is bloody mad :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They should make sure home workers have the basic kit to do the job, but each employee having a printer, filing cabinet and shredder sent home instead of reading documents on a screen is bloody mad :D 

Filling cabinet? Do they know what century it is?

• Like 2

I mean, if you don't want people twisting your words, say what the **** you mean, and if you can't speak about a private conversation, don't cryptically refer to it on national television. You're not informing anyone, you're certainly not helping Labour, and nobody likes an ITK dickhead.

• Like 2

"Something might happen. It might not, but they want it to. Can't tell you what it is, but it'd be good, if it happened, which it might, but it might not. I speak to very important people and they tell me things. But I can't tell you."