Lewis Dobbin

Pongo Waring

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

rather than Timmy for 9m and Dobbin for 9m, why cant we just do:

Timmy - 10m, Archer - 20m, Hayden - 10m, Chambers & Hause - BTGTF (buy three, get two free)    = 40m

Onana - 40m.

because Everton would have to foot the wage bill

On 20/06/2024 at 04:51, LondonLax said:

This is a good explanation. It also highlights the obvious problem in that next season (and every season for the next 5 years) we start the season with a £2m loss from this player but we long ago spent the original £10m that we brought in.

So this ‘clever accounting’ player goes from being an £8m boon on our books to a £2m ball and chain for every future season. 

Then we add the other ball and chain ‘clever accounting’ swaps we’re lining up and suddenly we have crippled ourselves for future transfer windows. 

The amortisation FFP trick is really just a form of ‘kicking the can down the road’ and hoping we can increase revenue before the music stops. 

Well, this would be a major concern, but isn't the whole point that we're moving to the 'squad cost control' system which is simply a measure of wages against turnover, so the effects of amortisation cease mattering (at least in terms of rule breaches, we still need to file the accounts of course)?

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, this would be a major concern, but isn't the whole point that we're moving to the 'squad cost control' system which is simply a measure of wages against turnover, so the effects of amortisation cease mattering (at least in terms of rule breaches, we still need to file the accounts of course)?

I'm pretty sure that the new Squad Cost Ratio (SCR) includes wages and amortisation. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BigJim said:

If Dobbin has no chance of first team football at Villa, I don't understand why he would agree to the move.

But he has plenty of chances for first team football. We will have injuries/suspensions/plenty of games/plenty of substitutions during the season. He will play a lot of minutes. He won't be first choice but it's a good opportunity for him.

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

But he has plenty of chances for first team football. We will have injuries/suspensions/plenty of games/plenty of substitutions during the season. He will play a lot of minutes. He won't be first choice but it's a good opportunity for him.

If he plays more than 100 minutes, I will be very surprised. 

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, BigJim said:

If Dobbin has no chance of first team football at Villa, I don't understand why he would agree to the move.

Because he would be working with a better quality of coaches and players, would be on more money and would probably get a better loan club than if he stayed at Everton. 

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watched his goal vs chelsea was very impressive 

Maatsen didnt look great for the goal

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'm pretty sure that the new Squad Cost Ratio (SCR) includes wages and amortisation. 

Ah okay, I've misunderstood that. In that case @LondonLax is right, and these deals are indeed set to be a ball and chain that lasts for years.

If we're frantically trying to get what are not very good deals done in a limited time-frame, that should certainly be seen as definitive proof that all the posters who spent the last few months going 'we don't have a problem with PSR, we're tight but under the limit' are just categorically wrong (which tbh was obvious before). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yeah we will be fielding weakened teams in the domestic cups. Prize money in those is basically zero. Even if you win them. 

Dont get me started on PSR/FFP, it is an absolutely innaproriate method of governance, however I think the rule changes in 2025 will remove this issue and create a better commercial environment for us. 

The upside is Dobbin has a spark of capability so he could emerge as a decent player, I think most likely to again sell on, but I think the deal should wash its face. I think £9m for Tim is good business for us too which possibly wouldn't have happened without this reciprocal trade. I dont see this as anything ither than a swap that helps PSR and makes us no worse off player wise.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â