Lewis Dobbin

Pongo Waring

6 hours ago, Alakagom said:

What hopes could you have when we have Onana and Kamara in his spot? He had to leave one way or another. 

Probably yeah. But he's now starting PL games.

In exchange we got a guy who can't make the bench in the championship.

So that was a bit stupid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

In exchange we passed PSR...

Unai not rating tim, especially during the spring last season when we were bare bones, was a bit weird but Everton were always getting the better deal here, Dobbin will never kick a ball for us 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In exchange we passed PSR...

Unai not rating tim, especially during the spring last season when we were bare bones, was a bit weird but Everton were always getting the better deal here, Dobbin will never kick a ball for us 

Surely it was possible to get a better player than Dobbin. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He was on the bench, he didn’t take to the field. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Didn't start today. We had to do something for PSR. 

Edited by PaulC

Not quite sure why some people (CVBryne being one off the top of my head, probably others too) thought he would be in our squad this season and actually play for us. He’d done nothing for a poor Everton team and at 21 was no longer a youth player.

He was only brought here to get around FFP, was never good enough for us, Louie Barry is a better player and he’s playing in League 1. Losing Tim wasn’t really a big deal because he would have been behind Onana, Tielemans, Kamara and Barkley in that position (and probably McGinn if we were desperate and had injuries). Being good enough for Everton doesn’t mean he’s good enough for us. But at the same time Everton got the better deal because Tim is starting every game for them and will likely go up in value whereas Dobbin will be sold at the first opportunity and cannot get regular game time at a Championship side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Not quite sure why some people (CVBryne being one off the top of my head, probably others too) thought he would be in our squad this season and actually play for us. He’d done nothing for a poor Everton team and at 21 was no longer a youth player.

He was only brought here to get around FFP, was never good enough for us, Louie Barry is a better player and he’s playing in League 1. Losing Tim wasn’t really a big deal because he would have been behind Onana, Tielemans, Kamara and Barkley in that position (and probably McGinn if we were desperate and had injuries). Being good enough for Everton doesn’t mean he’s good enough for us. But at the same time Everton got the better deal because Tim is starting every game for them and will likely go up in value whereas Dobbin will be sold at the first opportunity and cannot get regular game time at a Championship side. 

I thought he was seen as with potential by Emery, Monchi etc.. and we wouldn't be signing him for no reason. I do think he has the raw attributes and I'm sure the club thought so too. Either the club made a recruitment mistake or we just thought we could take the hit here to solve PSR. It's hard to tell, it could also be he's gone to the wrong club just as squad depth with no real plans to use him regularly. 

It's still only September. Plenty of Loans go wrong. However it doesn't look great and this feels more and more a PSR decision to move Tim on for a good fee before end of June

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Nail on the head 

Call a spade a spade, no point in pretending anything else with this guy or tim

• Like 2

We very clearly only bought Dobbin to help Everton to buy Iroegbunam. So it's really not a case of who got the better of the deal. We got Onana, Everton got a less impressive replacement, and we got the cash we needed to help sort PSR. Dobbin will go to a Championship club at some point in the future, and we'll probably get his amortised value back for him.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

We very clearly only bought Dobbin to help Everton to buy Iroegbunam. So it's really not a case of who got the better of the deal. We got Onana, Everton got a less impressive replacement, and we got the cash we needed to help sort PSR. Dobbin will go to a Championship club at some point in the future, and we'll probably get his amortised value back for him.

Spot on, we probably wouldn't have got Onana if we hadn't have done this deal..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Disaster of a loan do far which makes it look like a bad transfer, needs to be recalled straight away in January.

If he isn't good enough for top end championship he isn't good enough for top end prem that's for sure.

That was always going to be a mutually beneficial transfer for the reasons know financially. Was amazed at the amount of posters who thought Emery would give him a genuinely chance, was never going to happen not least due to him hardly playing for Everton in 2024.

19 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

I rate Iroegbunam & think he has a bright future. 

I thought that he could have been an excellent partner for Kamara eventually.

I was hoping he would have taken his place last year, but Emery seems to think there is a bit of a mental block in the player from what I have read. I think that could have been overcome with Emerys tutelage.

At the very least, I think he could have been cover & competition for Kamara in the long term.

Tim did well for Everton early on but some of his play is still raw and currently not playing. It would be another season of waste for his career if he'd stayed.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I thought he was seen as with potential by Emery, Monchi etc.. and we wouldn't be signing him for no reason. I do think he has the raw attributes and I'm sure the club thought so too. Either the club made a recruitment mistake or we just thought we could take the hit here to solve PSR. It's hard to tell, it could also be he's gone to the wrong club just as squad depth with no real plans to use him regularly. 

It's still only September. Plenty of Loans go wrong. However it doesn't look great and this feels more and more a PSR decision to move Tim on for a good fee before end of June

I genuinely don't think Emery had anything to do with this transfer. Only input from him in this would've been giving the permission to sell Tim as obviously in Unai's mind not good enough. Then club would've informed him we'd be getting a similar type from Everton to meet PSR and he'd then be loaned out pretty quickly and that happened.

Onana would've been a type Emery would really push for, not Dobbin who hardly played in the prem for six months. Did he feature in either game v us last season?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I genuinely don't think Emery had anything to do with this transfer. Only input from him in this would've been giving the permission to sell Tim as obviously in Unai's mind not good enough. Then club would've informed him we'd be getting a similar type from Everton to meet PSR and he'd then be loaned out pretty quickly and that happened.

Onana would've been a type Emery would really push for, not Dobbin who hardly played in the prem for six months. Did he feature in either game v us last season?

I mean Emery pushed for Rogers who didn't really set Champipnship alight and most Boro fans were surprised we were in for him. 

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tim did well for Everton early on but some of his play is still raw and currently not playing. It would be another season of waste for his career if he'd stayed.

I agree that he is still a bit raw. And in my personal opinion, the ball playing CDM role usually takes a little longer to adapt to for young players, especially in an Emery team, unless you have the potential to be "world class", like Kamara.

So the job was difficult for Iroegbunam to adapt to, but I genuinely believe that he has all the physical & athletic attributes to be a success.

And I felt that under Emerys tutelage that he could become a fantastic option to have around the squad.

Granted, he probably needs games, but at some point we have to be a little selfish as a club & keep one or two of them around as cover & competition.

But even without all of that, the deal swapping Iroegbunam for Dobbin looks heavily in favour of Everton.

The above is obviously just my opinion though. 

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I mean Emery pushed for Rogers who didn't really set Champipnship alight and most Boro fans were surprised we were in for him. 

Emery saw him with his own eyes a week before we signed him. Plus the academy guy we have who was at West Brom probably tipped Unai off about him when we drew Boro in the cup in December.

Dobbin actually came on at half time in the 4-0 last season so fair play if Emery looked at him in the second half and genuinely thought he was a player of outstanding potential but I doubt it, everyone knows this was a mutually beneficial agreement between both clubs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

I agree that he is still a bit raw. And in my personal opinion, the ball playing CDM role usually takes a little longer to adapt to for young players, especially in an Emery team, unless you have the potential to be "world class", like Kamara.

So the job was difficult for Iroegbunam to adapt to, but I genuinely believe that he has all the physical & athletic attributes to be a success.

And I felt that under Emerys tutelage that he could become a fantastic option to have around the squad.

Granted, he probably needs games, but at some point we have to be a little selfish as a club & keep one or two of them around as cover & competition.

But even without all of that, the deal swapping Iroegbunam for Dobbin looks heavily in favour of Everton.

The above is obviously just my opinion though. 

Long term Tim will be better as the 8 imo. It's where he's been playing at Everton as Gana was DM in the games he started.

Unai at no stage last season thought he could fill in for Kamara. Indeed even after we'd made CL Chambers played DM at Palace on last day which was very damming.

Nothing personal but just a World class manager thinking a young player isn't quite good enough for what he required, that's all.

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Was a Youtube short by Tifo on PSR recently and they are saying we paid more for Dobbin than Everton did for Tim

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â