Lewis Dobbin

Pongo Waring

He’s from Stoke on Trent so I suppose it’s a positive for him being closer to home if he isn’t loaned out immediately that is.

On 23/06/2024 at 17:14, VillaChris said:

I'd be amazed if he ever starts a prem game for us.

Near certainty to be loaned out to the championship by January at the latest.

We do well sending loans to Boro so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Was also at Derby in 22/23 so they might fancy him back with their promotion.

I dont believe Unai would have a player in the squad for this reason. I certainly don't think we'd spend 10m to do that. 

Rodgers came in for less and surprised us all, Unai will have a plan to develop him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I dont believe Unai would have a player in the squad for this reason. I certainly don't think we'd spend 10m to do that. 

Rodgers came in for less and surprised us all, Unai will have a plan to develop him. 

We’d happily have spent 20m on Dobbin as long as Everton paid as much for Tim.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

What I read (in very good article in Athletic) is he is very very quick

Lewis Dobbin to Aston Villa: The Athletic 500 transfer ratings - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

Dobbin is a winger, who can play across the frontline. If he can grow into his frame and add strength, his overall output should improve, potentially making him a reliable winger as he matures. However, Dobbin has never had regular minutes in the Premier League — so he is an unproven talent at the top level.

Villa under Unai Emery use quick transitions and high defensive work rates so Dobbin’s pace and agility make him a natural fit for Villa’s style, particularly in stretching defences and making runs behind the back line. His technical skills and dribbling ability allow him to take on defenders one-on-one, which is needed for wide players in Emery’s system. Dobbin’s versatility across the front line means he can be used as a winger or central striker.

As a winger, his attributes match Villa’s need for players who can pin full-backs and contribute defensively, while he could be suitable as the understudy for the central striker role if he improves his hold-up play and physicality.

The 21-year-old is well suited for pressing high up the pitch and disrupting opponents’ build-up play. While he shows promise in finishing, his output could improve. But this kind of inconsistency is to be expected from a player his age.

Dobbin has the potential to fit in Villa, particularly as a winger or second striker. His attributes align with Emery’s tactical demands. He could become an asset, provided he continues to develop his physicality and combination with his team-mates. He is not expected to be a first-team starter but can make an impact as an option off the bench.

Many Everton fans were excited about Dobbin, but he still has a long way to go before he fulfils his potential.

Over two full seasons as a professional, he has shown glimpses of the technical and physical attributes necessary to contribute in the Premier League. He is blessed with blistering pace — a useful attribute in Emery’s system that emphasises wing play. He can also play on either wing and pass and shoot with both feet.

Seems a good fot in terms of his attributes. He's versatile and could  play up top with Watkins. He seems to be a good presser (something I think we are signing in every position) and he very quick. 

58 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

From what I saw at Everton he played on the left. We have Ramsey, Buendia and Rogers all in that area so struggle to see any significant minutes for him.

Now if he can play on the right he has more of a chance given we only really have Bailey for that and he badly needed a rest in the final part of the season.

Regardless he's at the stage of his career where he needs 30 starts in a season.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

From what I saw at Everton he played on the left. We have Ramsey, Buendia and Rogers all in that area so struggle to see any significant minutes for him.

Now if he can play on the right he has more of a chance given we only really have Bailey for that and he badly needed a rest in the final part of the season.

Regardless he's at the stage of his career where he needs 30 starts in a season.

He is Right Footed and can play on either wing or up front. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He is Right Footed and can play on either wing or up front. 

Could get some minutes if Bailey picks up a knock early on but then I think we'll just move Diaby that side.

Think he was originally a striker who they've put out wide to develop his game. Seems to have a Brennan Johnson type skillset currently and through loans / cup appearances I'd expect us to replicate how Brentford developed Ollie

So ultimately see him as a homegrown Archer alternative who'll provide competition for our 3rd/4th striking option (after Ollie, new signing/ Duran and Rogers)

6 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Think he was originally a striker who they've put out wide to develop his game. Seems to have a Brennan Johnson type skillset currently and through loans / cup appearances I'd expect us to replicate how Brentford developed Ollie

So ultimately see him as a homegrown Archer alternative who'll provide competition for our 3rd/4th striking option (after Ollie, new signing/ Duran and Rogers)

I believe he won't be going on Loan. We need the squad depth, he'll get game time in the Cups off the bench in the Premier League. He'll get a chance to impress Emery. He seems to have the raw attributes lets see if top coaching makes him a PL player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This I don't believe. Both players were wanted, the fee structure was also convenient. 

Unai will have spoken with Dobbin and convinced him to sign. These players don't go just for mutually beneficial financial deals. 

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

This I don't believe. Both players were wanted, the fee structure was also convenient. 

Unai will have spoken with Dobbin and convinced him to sign. These players don't go just for mutually beneficial financial deals. 

We were looking at wingers, Summerville for example. I think what happened with Dobbin and Jr, is that they were available in certain PSR deals. They might not be in our initial list (especially Dobbin) but we’ve been linked with Jr since January or maybe before. So I think having those prospects is much valuable than spending bug on Summerville who would exceed 30-35m and not a guaranteed starter because of our formation. 
With those two, we add players with big potential, while gaining more money and space to add to other areas.

Last season we were short in our left side, now we’re really stacked there. The year before all of our attacks came from there, Moreno and Ramsey. Right now Maatsen could be an upgrade on Moreno and Digne (especially with our way of playing as he’s much younger). Then Ramsey, while for different tactics we have Dobbin, Jr. Even Rogers could play there and add another dimension. Dobbin and Jr could be similar but one plays with his right the other left. We also have Buendia. 

About Dobbin going out on loan, I think that might be considered but after the preseason. It will also depend on who we might get. We’ll also see if Emery is going to try Buendia at the right side as he was when playing for Norwich. 

If we got the German forward I guess Dobbin will definitely go on loan, it’s good to have a squad but I don’t think it’ll be easy to play all. Especially while adjusting the structure and trying to raise or keep values for certain players.

On 24/06/2024 at 19:02, Lunarsea said:

Height can be important in today's game so, does anyone know how many hands tall he is?

Perhaps we should check his teeth too? 😂😂

• Haha 1

I think in Iling Junior and Lewis Dobbin we've signed to young wingers, one left footed and one right footed. Emery feels he can coach and improve players as long as they possess the raw potential and the desire to learn and improve. Both those players have the raw speed and attributes to succeed in the Premier League. The question is if they can learn whats required and take their chances when they come.

We will have 50+ games next season and more games of higher intensity than last season. Our lack of squad depth was exposed last season at the end we need to be better prepared for it this season. These young players could be key come Arpil/May

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think in Iling Junior and Lewis Dobbin we've signed to young wingers, one left footed and one right footed. Emery feels he can coach and improve players as long as they possess the raw potential and the desire to learn and improve. Both those players have the raw speed and attributes to succeed in the Premier League. The question is if they can learn whats required and take their chances when they come.

We will have 50+ games next season and more games of higher intensity than last season. Our lack of squad depth was exposed last season at the end we need to be better prepared for it this season. These young players could be key come Arpil/May

Young and hungry 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2024 at 19:02, Lunarsea said:

Height can be important in today's game so, does anyone know how many hands tall he is?

1.25 Tommy Elphick's

On 26/06/2024 at 02:23, VillaParkAvenue said:

Correct signing of convenience this one!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â