Enzo Barrenechea

Pongo Waring

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Are Juve the only club interested in Luiz or something?

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

It would appear so. But some on here think there should be clubs lining up for him, and we should be swatting away 80m+ bids.

Few things to point out though.

First is that very few clubs are looking to make purchases this side of the 30th June PSR deadline most have. 

Second is that we probably don't want to sell him to anyone in the PL to strengthen them as it is then a double whammy to us. Probably rather lose £5-10m than face strengthening one of our opponents as we know how good he is.

Thirdly, he might well not want to stay in the PL, and on the continent there are probably very few clubs looking to spend.

Finally, we may have picked Juventus to deal with because there is someone there we really want. Maybe we'll accept someone less ideal, but useful sqaud filler, at the same time to get who we really want.

Ultimately, we've got no idea if anything in the media is actually correct. He's away at the Copa America, Juventus players are away at the Euro's or Copa too, the media leaks probably aren't all that accurate, and generally haven't been with us for a long time. Maybe we've always been targeting Enzo. Maybe we're not even speaking to Juventus and are using their name to encourage another club to up their bid. 

Edited by MrBlack

with mckennie we were at least linked with him before. we've not had a sniff of rumours about this guy. if mckennie was valued around 20m for the swap deal, is this guy the same value? he's still a kid, very unproven. might be good but is he the same value as mckennie? i'm not sure.

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

with mckennie we were at least linked with him before. we've not had a sniff of rumours about this guy. if mckennie was valued around 20m for the swap deal, is this guy the same value? he's still a kid, very unproven. might be good but is he the same value as mckennie? i'm not sure.

Well we are now getting 25mil instead of 18mil, so no.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Well we are now getting 25mil instead of 18mil, so no.

didn't know that, that's better then

• Like 1

This guy is going to cook under Unai. He is perfect for our system and he will only get better. I’ve only spent about an hour watching clips of him, so it’s obviously a small sample size, but he is technically competent and super calm. He’s also very clever which is something that we really lack at times. This is very exciting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Would prefer this player to McKennie due to his age and potential and our obvious gap with Kamara our only CDM. 

I'd be happy with him or McKennie tbh. We seem to be after good talented young players which is good to see. Rogers, Nedeljkovic, Illing Junior, Maatsen, Barrenechea maybe Dobbin

• Like 2

I watched 2 games with Frosinone this season but didn't remember seeing Barrenechea. After googling it turns out he didn't play (suspended) in the Inter game I watched and the other game was against Atalanta where their whole team had a shocker. Emil Holm had a great game for Atalanta thou.

You generally don't notice DCM's much unless they have great or terrible games thou so no judgement on his ability from me. And it wasn't due to Frosinone or any of their players I tuned in to watch those games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I watched 2 games with Frosinone this season but didn't remember seeing Barrenechea. After googling it turns out he didn't play (suspended) in the Inter game I watched and the other game was against Atalanta where their whole team had a shocker. Emil Holm had a great game for Atalanta thou.

You generally don't notice DCM's much unless they have great or terrible games thou so no judgement on his ability from me. And it wasn't due to Frosinone or any of their players I tuned in to watch those games.

The more “invisible” a DCM is, the better they are 

Who is Barrenechea: the Juventus midfielder unlocking Douglas Luiz swap deal

Born in Villa Maria on May 22, 2021, Barrenechea is a central midfielder with different characteristics from McKennie. While the American is a classic box-to-box midfielder, Barrenechea is more accustomed to playing as a holding midfielder, so don’t expect too many goal contributions from him, at least in the early stages. 

His senior debut was just around the corner and came in a special match. The Argentinean was introduced as a substitute in the final minutes of a home Juventus Champions League game against PSG on November 2, 2022. A few months later, in February 2023, he started his first Serie A match in another special match, the Turin derby, won by Juventus 4-2.

Time had come for more playing time so Barrenechea joined Frosinone on loan last summer.

He was a regular starter under Eusebio Di Francesco, but his contribution was not enough to avoid the Ciociari’s relegation to Serie B. Barrenechea played at the Stadio Stirpe with another Argentinean starlet from Juventus, Matias Soulé, who is also one of his closest friends in football.

Barrenechea finished the 2023-24 campaign with one goal and one assist in 39 appearances across all competitions.

Despite a decent physicality – Barrenechea is 1,86m tall – the Argentinean still has room for improvement in defensive duels, having averaged 56% ground and aerial duels won with Frosinone. He is pretty confident on the ball, with 86% accurate passes in Serie A last season.

https://football-italia.net/who-is-barrenechea-juventus-aston-villa-swap/

Another Italian source likened him to a mix between Busquets & Rodri. That'll do, that'll do nicely.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If that guy is far superior why didn't we try and get him before McKennie?

It’s just speculation that he’s going to be that good, he’s still “unproven”. McKennie is an established player and ready made to be part of the first team squad. That’s probably the original deciding factor. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

If that guy is far superior why didn't we try and get him before McKennie?

They play different positions and roles so not sure how to compare. Big thing seems to be that one of them want's to come here while the other one doesn't.

16 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I know we should be building or the future but signing a three year old is taking it too far

C'mon he made his debut when he was 2... he has 12 months of solid experience behind him now

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â