Enzo Barrenechea

Pongo Waring

3 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

We can only have 20 in our match day squad and our subs bench was incredibly strong today. Good players are going to miss out every time we play now. It's a squad game. There will be other games for our players that missed out today.

Exactly

Olsen, Chambers, Zaniolo, Lenglet, KKH, Munroe, Irogbunam, Kellyman, Duran

That was our bench from a game near the end of last season. Probably not even the worst bench we had either.

We will have 5 or 6 players injured or suspended quite a bit this season. Add to that the number of games. 

I think we currently lack a couple of players to fully be complete in the squad depth. 

The facts are, not every player can be included in the match day squad, however, when injuries or suspensions start to hit, then the fringe players get an opportunity. It's then entirely up to them, as fringe players, to make the most of that opportunity. It will come down to self  - belief because I'm sure a manager as meticulous as Emery,  even looks at how players react to disappointment and then makes an assessment of someone's character from their reaction. 

It was certainly notable in Unai's interview, post - match, how he was quick to use good for "us" rather than "Him" when referring to Duran's goal.

Bit weird he didn't make the bench, Yes I'm well aware we have a big squad but looking at it I think he should've been on it over Buendia. 

He's DMC cover for Onana so he should be there.

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Bit weird he didn't make the bench, Yes I'm well aware we have a big squad but looking at it I think he should've been on it over Buendia. 

He's DMC cover for Onana so he should be there.

We dont play with DM tho. We just play with 2 CM's. Barkley and Mcginn can also play there. 

5 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

End of last season we had chambers coming on in midfield. Just because he doesn't make the first Matchday squad doesn't mean we should be loaning him out.

Exactly. They’ll all get minutes, the onus is on the fringe players to make the most of them and impress Emery when it counts.

I really rate this guy and think he’ll break into the match day squad at some point this season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

We dont play with DM tho. We just play with 2 CM's. Barkley and Mcginn can also play there. 

Yes and Barkley is so passive defensively that midfield would get absolutely stomped. 

10 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

It's about the balance for the opposition. The one thing we need is a progressive passer. So Tielemans or Barkley or McGinn. They are only players who can play CM who can progress the ball to level Emery requires

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

At 24 he needs to play. He clearly can and I’m sure he’ll get his chance. Our bench is very good, especially when you consider Diaby has gone and not been replaced. Yet.

23 as of May

29 minutes ago, thunderball said:

At 24 he needs to play. He clearly can and I’m sure he’ll get his chance. Our bench is very good, especially when you consider Diaby has gone and not been replaced. Yet.

Hard to see him getting any minutes in the league or Europe. League Cup perhaps.

42 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Yes and Barkley is so passive defensively that midfield would get absolutely stomped. 

Yeah i think Barkley will play against the likes of Ipswich to break them down when they have 11 in front of their goals. Don’t expect to see him against the likes of Arsenal.  Could be totally wrong though

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He cant be loaned to a Premier League team so a loan abroad be pointless

Unless he goes on Loan in January. Which depends on our squad fitness come then. 

9 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Hard to see him getting any minutes in the league or Europe. League Cup perhaps.

I'm sure he'll get mins in League Cup and also he will be adapting to how we play and learning. He only cost us a snip at £6.5m. I expect if Kamara is back fit and well and we're ok with injuries he will go out on Loan in Jan somewhere. 

He will get some games. Training with the team will be helping him get used to the Unai tactics.

It's a big jump in intensity for these young players in a premier league squad looking to get premier league minutes. 

Barrenechea will get his chance, as will Iling-Junior.

Between now and the end of January we'll play somewhere between 33 and 37 games in 21 weeks (excluding international breaks). That is a lot of high quality football. As others have said our squad depth is vital considering we can't drop our level in the Champions League like we did in the Conference League, for fear of being well beaten.

Yesterday we had all outfield players available aside from our 2 long term injuries. That is never going to last. An injury anywhere except right back or centre back (-> Bogarde) would see one of them included on the bench.

End of January will be the time to assess - we'll know our injury situation, we'll know if we're still in 0 1 2 or 3 cup competitions and that will make a huge difference to what we require for the rest of the season.

Edited by East London Villa
game was yesterday, not today

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â