Enzo Barrenechea

Pongo Waring

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He looked good, he'd have been great rotation for cups. Maybe go out on loan in January when Kamara is back, but not now

This is where I'm at. Give him 6 months with the squad, let him settle, get minutes when we need to rotate. 

By the end of Jan we could still be fighting on all fronts and he could be due a lot more game time so it makes sense to stay.

But if Emery thinks he's best playing (like he's said to Kesler), Kamara is back up and running and we're out of Europe and the domestic cups at the end of the January window, he's best going out somewhere rather than warming the bench. 

• Like 2

Just noticed that at 23 he’s the same age as Ramsey, and older than Onana, Rogers, and Maatsen who’ll likely be starters when fit. I realise players develop at different rates but I just wonder if they expect Enzo to play a major role this season?

15 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Just noticed that at 23 he’s the same age as Ramsey, and older than Onana, Rogers, and Maatsen who’ll likely be starters when fit. I realise players develop at different rates but I just wonder if they expect Enzo to play a major role this season?

He missed a season through injury.  Still done enough to get recruited by Juventus and Villa.

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Probably not. He was mainly a make-weight in the Luiz deal after all.

Yeah I get that - but Iling Jnr and Dobbin are young enough to have plenty of unrealised potential - at 23 they’ll know what they’re getting from him and still went ahead with it. He’s almost the same age as Kamara. 

My guess is that we bought both Enzo and Illing with the idea of develop them for a year, to then sell them again next season for "pure profit", given that they arrived here for free - they'll be easy to sell for some money, given their ages, I'm guessing lowish salaries and profiles

36 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

My guess is that we bought both Enzo and Illing with the idea of develop them for a year, to then sell them again next season for "pure profit", given that they arrived here for free - they'll be easy to sell for some money, given their ages, I'm guessing lowish salaries and profiles

We signed them for €22mil. So definitely not pure profit and they'll have to be very good squad options for us to ship them on for a profit in 12 months. 

2 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Yeah I get that - but Iling Jnr and Dobbin are young enough to have plenty of unrealised potential - at 23 they’ll know what they’re getting from him and still went ahead with it. He’s almost the same age as Kamara. 

Watkins was playing on the wing for Brentford at 23 tbf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skarroki said:

We signed them for €22mil. So definitely not pure profit and they'll have to be very good squad options for us to ship them on for a profit in 12 months. 

Oh, oops, I thought we valued them at 22m but they were part of a swap deal, my bad.

He will stay, I see Barrenchea as an Emery project, he has the fundamental skills to mould into the next Kamara.  A year of work to develop him and it means Kamara COULD be sold off if PSR necessitates next year.

Illing Jr is the one that makes me nervous.  Whilst Dobbin was anonymous, Illing Jr seemed to get the basics wrong and looked to be on a different page to the rest of the team in the games I saw.

Still a work in progress, but Barrenchea has shown more than Illing Jr in my view

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2024 at 09:15, macandally said:

He will stay, I see Barrenchea as an Emery project, he has the fundamental skills to mould into the next Kamara.  A year of work to develop him and it means Kamara COULD be sold off if PSR necessitates next year.

Illing Jr is the one that makes me nervous.  Whilst Dobbin was anonymous, Illing Jr seemed to get the basics wrong and looked to be on a different page to the rest of the team in the games I saw.

Still a work in progress, but Barrenchea has shown more than Illing Jr in my view

Not even on the bench today...same for Iling Junior.

1 minute ago, Czarnikjak said:

Would benefit from a loan, might be beneficial for him to stay relatively local though I would think so he can settle into the area still. West Brom perhaps..? 

I don't see us loaning him at all. Not being on the bench doesn't mean surplus to requirements when we need a squad to complete across all fronts this season. I think he'll be given time to develop though before been thrown in. 

• Like 2

Give him time to get acclimatised and up to speed under Emery’s guidance and tutelage and he’ll prove his self an astute signing I’m sure. No rush with him and it took Tielmans until November to break into the team don’t forget. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We can only have 20 in our match day squad and our subs bench was incredibly strong today. Good players are going to miss out every time we play now. It's a squad game. There will be other games for our players that missed out today.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â