Enzo Barrenechea

Pongo Waring

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You wonder if Juve were the ones trying to push McKennie on us.

By all reports Juve were loathe to actually lose Barrenechea.

I don't think he was ever in Juventus's long term plans. Barrenechea is 23, been with the club 4 years and has only really had one season of competitive football...and that was on loan. Most young talents would have been getting game time for a few years by this point.

I'm not saying he won't be good for us, but certainly he didn't look like he was going to break into the juve team at any point in the near future.

Edited by Made In Aston

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Many players have shined in the Walsall friendly on debut in the past and disappeared. Pretty sure Tonev or Helenius was one of them

Good start but maybe some of the comments OTT 

Yeah but they were new guys in shit teams. We know what a good player looks like these days.

46 minutes ago, allani said:

Were we <really> in for McKennie?  It is clear that Juventus offered him to us as part of the Luiz deal but it never seemed to be something that we were going all out to make happen.  I suspect that if we really wanted McKennie then we'd have been much more determined to ensure that any of the issues that apparently caused that part of the deal to collapse would have been avoided.  As I have said before despite Frosinone being dismissed by UK posters so quickly as a relegated team - they (and a lot of the teams in the bottom half of Serie A) had quite a few highly thought of young players there and so will definitely have been scouted / followed by plenty of people heavily involved in Italian football.  My bet is that Monchi has access (at least) to some of those people and will have an extensive data set (including scouting reports) of young prospects in Italy available to him.  Enzo would almost certainly have been on this list.  It wouldn't overly surprise me if he WAS one of the players we talked about at the start (along with Soule and SIJ) but that Juve were more keen to utilise McKennie in the deal.  However, "problems" in agreeing personal terms with McKennie and that threatening the Luiz deal almost certainly then made a deal for Enzo more palatable for Juve to consider.  Whilst Juve might have been focussed on McKennie maybe that was never really our main ambition?  There was lots of chatter about the deal and what was going on - but almost all of it was coming from Italy rather than Villa.  Monchi might just have been playing an exceptional hand of poker.  The sense I get is that Juve fans / experts were much more disappointed about Enzo going than they were about the prospect of McKennie leaving.  Therefore, maybe we needed to play the game a bit until circumstances meant that we were in a stronger position to reveal the hand we were really playing?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lerner&#x27;s Driver said:

Not sure, but suspect they didn't want to let this kid go and he was only offered to save the deal after McKennie kicked up. We definitely appear to have gotten lucky.

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah but they were new guys in shit teams. We know what a good player looks like these days.

Unai certainly does…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think he was ever in Juventus's long term plans. Barrenechea is 23, been with the club 4 years and has only really had one season of competitive football...and that was on loan. Most young talents would have been getting game time for a few years by this point.

I'm not saying he won't be good for us, but certainly he didn't look like he was going to break into the juve team at any point in the near future.

Apparently he lost a year due to serious injury, when he was on the cusp.

Only going by what I've read in fairness, who knows.

2 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I would guess it's  Barre-ne-TCHAY-a. Looks like a Basque name, in which case the ch would have been a tx at some point and a tch sound I think 

Yeah this is correct - it's a basque name... the spelling difference is a dialect thing but pronounced the same way

• Thanks 2

Apparently Barrenechea means ‘in the down part of the house’ so if he’d had been English he would’ve been called ‘Eddie Basement’….what a great name.

• Haha 4

Wasn’t Emi Martinez at Arsenal for 8 years and fairly unknown/under-utilised until the latter part of his final season there….he’s done alright since.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2024 at 21:46, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s miles better than donks, and he plays rather similar to Kamara, yet more conservatively (probably due to team orders) with simple passes to get the transition going in a safer way. He also stays deeper and is rarely in any attacking play (team orders again)

but he’s good on and off the ball. Reads games well and covers the pitch well without busting a gut to do so. He’s pretty calm to receive the ball under pressure and pass it in tight situations. He seems to favour a tackle on his feet, and quick pass..

my issues with Enzo, he’s a bit hesitant to close down players and miss times a tackle or block. Yet I take that as a first season of top flight football… a still a bit to learn. Could have issues, with prem pace, but like I said, he’s pretty cool under pressure. 

In time, I feel like he has the potential to be on par or a lil better than a current Boubs, but I also believe there’s a lot more to come from Boubs too

i recon he’s going to be a rather good back up/rotation player… maybe more  

I didn’t get to see last night’s game, but did Enzo live up to my lil scouting report? 

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apparently Barrenechea means ‘in the down part of the house’ so if he’d had been English he would’ve been called ‘Eddie Basement’….what a great name.

Actually, Enzo is equivalent to Hank, not Eddie...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

And Enzo is Spanish for Julie so he'd be Julie B'asement.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Actually, Enzo is equivalent to Hank, not Eddie...

Yeah I spoke to his family and his birth name is Edward but his nickname is Hank because he loves Tom Hanks films..

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Tbf its a valid point its one game against a lower league club. Its against the better sides we will be able to make a better judgement 

Technically, he was getting competitive game time with Juventus B team, as they play in Serie C

Part of why he is a late developer is due to his build, not unlike Conor Hourihane in that regard but thankfully Enzo looks to have developed bit more athleticism and strength.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Tbf its a valid point its one game against a lower league club. Its against the better sides we will be able to make a better judgement 

I don't disagree necessarily but you can see if someone has something about them regardless of opposition. I definitely agree that we need to see quite a lot more and against better oppo to have a more definitive and better informed opinion but there's no harm in being a bit excited and the potential was on show last night. We're not talking about shithouses here, these are players with real potential. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't disagree necessarily but you can see if someone has something about them regardless of opposition. I definitely agree that we need to see quite a lot more and against better oppo to have a more definitive and better informed opinion but there's no harm in being a bit excited and the potential was on show last night. We're not talking about shithouses here, these are players with real potential. 

Oh for sure dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being excited about a new signing. Just very hard for me nit make a realistic assumption on him on  our first friendly against a weaker opposition 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â