Enzo Barrenechea

Pongo Waring

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I bet Monchi and Emery have NEVER seen him play.

I have a feeling Monchi watches random games in his spare time. He’s probably seen Trez burning it up in Turkey 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I bet Monchi and Emery have NEVER seen him play.

The absolute idiocy of this argument sown up in ten words. Hard to believe sometimes that posters are arguing their points in good faith… 

• Like 1

Emery and Monchi requested all his data and delayed the transfer for days whilst they analyzed it and made sure he was the right player for us. Morgan Rogers I think was signed in a similar way, albeit the orginal intention wasn't to sign him but to scout him ahead of MIddlesbrough clash

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

That’s not an answer, but yes, I have

I've watched clips of him and he looks like he held his own in Serie A last season, albeit for a poor side, he's also good on the ball, I'd be perfectly happy if he's a Donk or Tim replacement but from what I've seen he's a downgrade on Kamara and I'd be worried if he was going to start every game for us in the first half of next season. Hope that is reasonable for you. 

22 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I've watched clips of him and he looks like he held his own in Serie A last season, albeit for a poor side, he's also good on the ball, I'd be perfectly happy if he's a Donk or Tim replacement but from what I've seen he's a downgrade on Kamara and I'd be worried if he was going to start every game for us in the first half of next season. Hope that is reasonable for you. 

He’s miles better than donks, and he plays rather similar to Kamara, yet more conservatively (probably due to team orders) with simple passes to get the transition going in a safer way. He also stays deeper and is rarely in any attacking play (team orders again)

but he’s good on and off the ball. Reads games well and covers the pitch well without busting a gut to do so. He’s pretty calm to receive the ball under pressure and pass it in tight situations. He seems to favour a tackle on his feet, and quick pass..

my issues with Enzo, he’s a bit hesitant to close down players and miss times a tackle or block. Yet I take that as a first season of top flight football… a still a bit to learn. Could have issues, with prem pace, but like I said, he’s pretty cool under pressure. 

In time, I feel like he has the potential to be on par or a lil better than a current Boubs, but I also believe there’s a lot more to come from Boubs too

i recon he’s going to be a rather good back up/rotation player… maybe more  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have a feeling Monchi watches random games in his spare time. He’s probably seen Trez burning it up in Turkey 😂 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

Emery and Monchi requested all his data and delayed the transfer for days whilst they analyzed it and made sure he was the right player for us. Morgan Rogers I think was signed in a similar way, albeit the orginal intention wasn't to sign him but to scout him ahead of MIddlesbrough clash

Fact that we did not negotiate for Rogers as part of the Finn Azaz transfer leads me to believe that he appeared on Villa's radar right around the time of the Middlesbrough clash.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Leeroy said:

So, a backup to Kamara is not as good as Kamara. Shocker!

As you say, the kid held his own in Serie A, in a poor side. There are loads of examples where players have risen to top having started in a similar position.

How about you let The Master coach him and reserve judgement until you've seen him play in our system, with our players.

Edited by Tubby
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s miles better than donks, and he plays rather similar to Kamara, yet more conservatively (probably due to team orders) with simple passes to get the transition going in a safer way. He also stays deeper and is rarely in any attacking play (team orders again)

but he’s good on and off the ball. Reads games well and covers the pitch well without busting a gut to do so. He’s pretty calm to receive the ball under pressure and pass it in tight situations. He seems to favour a tackle on his feet, and quick pass..

my issues with Enzo, he’s a bit hesitant to close down players and miss times a tackle or block. Yet I take that as a first season of top flight football… a still a bit to learn. Could have issues, with prem pace, but like I said, he’s pretty cool under pressure. 

In time, I feel like he has the potential to be on par or a lil better than a current Boubs, but I also believe there’s a lot more to come from Boubs too

i recon he’s going to be a rather good back up/rotation player… maybe more  

Sorry for my late response, I've got to go into the office today, Monday of all days, so early start for me.

Mostly sounds encouraging except for not closing players down and mistiming tackles, as that's a fairly essential part of being a holding midfielder. My main concerns for him are: he's only had one top flight season under his belt despite being 23, at a similar age Kamara had already had five seasons for Marseille and played in the Europa League and Champions League, he was far more seasoned. It is also obvious we went for Weston McKennie over him at first so he is not even our first choice and we favoured an overweight, very average midfielder over him. Another concern is that Juventus' midfield is not actually very good, they are spending lots of money to fix it, and yet this guy couldn't even displace the guys that were starting for them last season.

I'm fine if he is coming in as rotation with a view to maybe developing him into a first team player in future. So we need to buy at least one CM, because otherwise either this guy or Barkley are starting the opening day at West Ham and that's not a position I want us to be in. 

Edited by Leeroy

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

So is basically every midfielder tbf 

We are Aston Villa and we've just finished 4th and reached the semi finals of a European competition with an elite manager. We signed Kamara under Slippy after finishing 14th in the league. Yes, I'd hope we can find a midfielder similar in talent to him given the position we are in.

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

So, a backup to Kamara is not as good as Kamara. Shocker!

As you say, the kid held his own in Serie A, in a poor side. There are loads of examples where players have risen to top having started in a similar position.

How about you let The Master coach him and reserve judgement until you've seen him play in our system, with our players.

We signed Kamara under Slippy after finishing 14th in the league on 45 points. Sure we could sign a similar level player again given we just finished 4th on 68 points and have Unai Emery as manager. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â