Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

9 hours ago, macandally said:

I am struggling to think of ANY fullback I would hang £35m on

I think he is well worth the 35m. He will be a dutch international in years to come i think 

Looks a real player

Hopefully he can be as good as bouma was until he got that horrific injury

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

This is the sort of player we should be going for. 

Young, high potential, has played abroad and domestically, he'd thrive in our side. 

He didn’t exactly thrive in the CL final though did he? I thought he struggled in that match. I’m not sure he’s the right player for us tbh

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He didn’t exactly thrive in the CL final though did he? I thought he struggled in that match. I’m not sure he’s the right player for us tbh

Video gif. A man has a big, wide smile on his face, and he swats the air as if flattered. He then grins and points with both hands at someone.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Without being rude to any of our squad - I'm not sure how many of our current team wouldn't struggle in a CL final.  I mean on our day we've shown we can give CL final level teams a good game (City, Arsenal, Liverpool) but an actual CL final would be a massive jump for pretty much all our players.  Probably only Emi that would immediately feel "at home" in a match like that.  That's not to say that others wouldn't settle into it but it would be the biggest match most of them had ever played in.

It's a sign of how things have changed in such a short period of time - it wasn't that long ago we were worrying about whether potential signings might struggle in the PL.  Now the concern is whether they struggle in arguably the biggest club match in the world...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maatsen has gone from playing in the mid table of the Championship with Coventry in 2021 to playing in the Champions League final with Dortmund in just three years and is still only 22 years old.

Is it unreasonable to think that he's not reached his peak yet? I think this would be an excellent signing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Delphinho doesn't rate him, that's good enough for me!  Sign him up!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm waiting for @striker to tell us how rubbish he is before I go "all in" on my wish to get him signed. 😜😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can’t believe people are judging him harshly for not performing well against the best team globally. Thankfully, Unai and his team are a little more serious about player analysis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Can’t believe people are judging him harshly for not performing well against the best team globally. Thankfully, Unai and his team are a little more serious about player analysis. 

He made bad mistakes, he didnt underperform they are different things

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Are you saying I don't take my player analysis seriously? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allani said:

I'm waiting for @striker to tell us how rubbish he is before I go "all in" on my wish to get him signed. 😜😂

Maatsen would be a terrific signing imo so I guess one to miss then? 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we had Pele and Eusebio up front you'd think they were crap but I appreciate your input. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

If we had Pele and Eusebio up front you'd think they were crap but I appreciate your input. 

They're both dead so I'd be inclined to agree, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We had a few players that didn't thrive in the conference semi so can't judge him too harshly on that 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

That wouid be worth seeing Eusebio and Pele up front together in their pomp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Or alternatively he was starting left back in a team that managed to get to the final.

I think that's fine for where we are. Last time I checked we haven't won anything since 1997, we are not an elite team.

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I have concerns. What if we're in the CL final against Real Madrid next spring? We couldn't rely on him.

IF!? Bloody pessimist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Article in the Athletic about our Left Back situation and it's a tough one to call. I think though if we sign a Maatsen he is the attacking full back and Digne would be kept due to his experience and leadership. It seems like his determination to stay and win Emery over has both worked and impressed him. He is better defensively and I'd trust him more than others off the bench with a job to do and Emery instructions in his ear. However Moreno, with a full preseason could return to levels of his first 4 months and he is cheaper in terms of PSR. 

A tough one to decide tbh if we bring a new left back in. 

Â