Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

On 22/09/2024 at 02:21, Hank Scorpio said:

Digne and Maatsen ovlffer different positives. Both will be used equally depending on the level of shit we are in.

Disagree 

Think Maatsen is better at pretty much everything 

I would even go as far as saying I don't think it's even close and it's only a matter of time till Maatsen is a regular starter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Disagree 

I would even go as far as saying I don't think it's even close and it's only a matter of time till Maatsen is a regular starter 

Digne much better in the air.  Always surprises me how good he is for a little guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Disagree 

Digne is as unbelievable outlet valve when teams are pressing us. You can ping any type of pass into him and 90% of the time he's controlling and passing it which helps break the press or allows us to reset our build up. 

I doubt Maatsen will be as good at that, but his extra pace and confidence beating his man will offer a different dimension going forward. Especially since we are playing with Ramsey and Rogers both can somewhat fill that outlet role that digne often does though neither have as good a first touch. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Digne is as unbelievable outlet valve when teams are pressing us. You can ping any type of pass into him and 90% of the time he's controlling and passing it which helps break the press or allows us to reset our build up. 

I doubt Maatsen will be as good at that, but his extra pace and confidence beating his man will offer a different dimension going forward. Especially since we are playing with Ramsey and Rogers both can somewhat fill that outlet role that digne often does though neither have as good a first touch. 

This 

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Why do you doubt that he’s able to do that?

I may be wrong on this but Maatsen also seems to be more willing to press the attacker on the edge/outside of the box and sticks to them like glue but Digne prefers drifting inside to cut off any low passes.

41 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why do you doubt that he’s able to do that?

I may be wrong on this but Maatsen also seems to be more willing to press the attacker on the edge/outside of the box and sticks to them like glue but Digne prefers drifting inside to cut off any low passes.

Because digne has an incredible first touch. If digne was a little more atheltically gifted he'd have been one of the best Lbs in the world. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not seen tonight so can’t comment on his performance. Noticed he became a dad recently, may be another reason why he hadn’t been starting in the league yet. 

The reason is Digne has been mostly excellent.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Trash performance, worst player on the pitch.

Been great in cameos so far this season so not overly worried - but God, that was awful.

I've read a few posts like this, I must have missed something as he looked perfectly fine to me.

• Like 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I've read a few posts like this, I must have missed something as he looked perfectly fine to me.

I didn't catch the first 20 minutes of the game, so maybe he was OK there.  There was a period in that second half where he gave the ball away time and time and time again and then just seemingly couldn't be arsed to try and get it back.

• Like 1

One of the best players on the pitch for me 

Players were not on his wavelength which limited his options in an attacking sense.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't catch the first 20 minutes of the game, so maybe he was OK there.  There was a period in that second half where he gave the ball away time and time and time again and then just seemingly couldn't be arsed to try and get it back.

Fair enough, just thought the whole team was disjointed, even Barkley couldn’t pass to anyone in a white shirt so Maatsen wasn't alone.  I didn't notice him not tracking back tbh.

Edited by sharkyvilla

On 24/09/2024 at 21:56, bobzy said:

Trash performance, worst player on the pitch.

Been great in cameos so far this season so not overly worried - but God, that was awful.

Not a chance. He was covering the two at CB for most of the game, he was up against a couple of players for most the game that were trying to bully him. 

I think, currently, most of his best attributes are going forward, but he didn't shit himself doing the donkey work either last night.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â