Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

6 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

There are few thousand Dutch football players that didn't get call for the national team this month. I'm with Koeman on this one, is he supposed to call them all? It's up to Maatsen to call him and ask if he is surprised. But he shouldn't be surprised, he doesn't play regularly for us, why would Koeman be obliged to call him up?

But it’s not like he wasn’t with the squad before which would then be understandable not to call. It’s common courtesy for a manager to call someone if they are dropping them from a squad.

No comments about Maatsen's performance today?  I think he's been fantastic for us so far...  Feels weird to have had 3 really good left backs in a row when we've had so many bad ones over the past 20 years or so.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

No comments about Maatsen's performance today?  I think he's been fantastic for us so far...  Feels weird to have had 3 really good left backs in a row when we've had so many bad ones over the past 20 years or so.

He was good going forward but nearly cost us a penalty in the last minute if the Everton player had sense and went down

I really want to see him starting games in near future.

Digne is doing little wrong and set up the first goal but we could see with Maatsen's run and cutback for the Olllie chance that he hit wide what he can offer us on the left from the start of games.

He can offer us what Moreno did for six months when he first joined which would be hugely exciting and also help Ramsey get fully back into the groove.

Perhaps the plan is to play him in CL and we'll continue with Digne in prem matches, we'll see on Tuesday but Maatsen is surely starting one of the next two as he is too good for me to be warming the bench for the next few months.

Edited by VillaChris

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

This kid is special 

The sooner he is replacing Digne the better 

I wonder if we had been more settled at right back whether we'd have seen Maatsen already? We look so bad defensively at the moment, its probably a bit risky to have another player whos new to the team. 

I think if we see Carlos more available, Konsa will shift and Ian then gets his chance.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2024 at 19:29, VillaChris said:

Perhaps the plan is to play him in CL and we'll continue with Digne in prem matches, we'll see on Tuesday but Maatsen is surely starting one of the next two as he is too good for me to be warming the bench for the next few months.

LB may be the most demanding position in Unai's system so I fully expect him to rotate. Given Maatsen's CL experience, it makes sense to use him in the CL and Digne in the PL like you said.

That said, the PL tends to be pacier, and Maatsen is faster than Digne, so it could also end up the other way around.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TomC said:

LB may be the most demanding position in Unai's system so I fully expect him to rotate. Given Maatsen's CL experience, it makes sense to use him in the CL and Digne in the PL like you said.

That said, the PL tends to be pacier, and Maatsen is faster than Digne, so it could also end up the other way around.

No idea who Unai will go with but as far as CL experience goes I believe Digne has more CL appearances than anyone else in the squad

Edited by grantholtgolazo

4 hours ago, grantholtgolazo said:

No idea who Unai will go with but as far as CL experience goes I believe Digne has more CL appearances than anyone else in the squad

I had forgotten about how much CL experience he has...I still tend to think of him as an ex-Everton guy...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â