Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

9 hours ago, Risso said:

Yeah I think we'll go with Digne. I've found the signing of Maatsen a bit odd for the stage we're at to be honest. I think he'll be a very good player in the future, but it was a huge amount of money to spend when I'd argue there are more urgent areas to strengthen. Of course if we go and get somebody like Felix anyway, then great, but at the moment, we've got three left backs and only one proper forward.

Disagree. Moreno and Digne both in their 30s and I wouldn't expect either to be here for 25/26 season so LB was a position where we desperately needed younger alternatives.

Maatsen coming off an outstanding championship season with Burnley and was then a regular for Dortmund in Bundesliga and CL so to me that's a perfect signing for LB position for next 5-6 years.

The actual complications here though are how well Ned has done in pre season and also selling Carlos.

Two weeks ago I thought our back 4 at West Ham would be Konsa-Carlos-Pau-Maatsen but now it will probably be Ned-Konsa-Pau-Digne. Digne in for balance and extra height for their set pieces.

Depends how quick we are to get in a CB but we could see for Arsenal him starting if Konsa goes to RB.

Plenty of options and he has good experience in the CL from Dortmund's run which is important. Maatsen been signed to offer us what Moreno did when he first joined but the serious injury and him over 30 means he's unlikely to repeat that level so better to get in someone nearly ten years his junior who offers it.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Iling Jr will never play at left back.

Digne will rotate with Maatsen.

Moreno needs to be moved on but if he isn't he'll also rotate with the other two.

Think Maatsen will be preferred once he's up to speed with us. 

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised how rusty he's looked really. He's clearly very capable, and was brilliant in the champions league most of last season so has definitely got the ability.

Compare it to how seamlessly Kosta settled in,  how little Kosta was bought for compares with Maatsen, and it is a little surprising.

I'm sure once has settled he'll be our first choice, but it's not a problem to start the season with Digne, particularly against the likes of West ham away and Arsenal at home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I'm a little surprised how rusty he's looked really. He's clearly very capable, and was brilliant in the champions league most of last season so has definitely got the ability.

Compare it to how seamlessly Kosta settled in,  how little Kosta was bought for compares with Maatsen, and it is a little surprising.

I'm sure once has settled he'll be our first choice, but it's not a problem to start the season with Digne, particularly against the likes of West ham away and Arsenal at home. 

Why's that?  Got called up to the Dutch team at the last minute when he was on holiday, and then barely played when he was there.  Coming into a new team with completely different system, will take a him a few weeks to get up to speed.

I think we need to remember that Maatsen is only 22 and in terms of top level experience he has only played 35 top level games (12 in Prem league, 16 Bundesliga, 7 champs league). He is still very inexperienced at the top level and is not the finished article. 

I know some people have intimated you don't spent 35 million on a player and not have him starting week in week out. You can also flip that to say you don't have a vastly experienced player who cost 28 million, has played almost 50 times for France and is apparently on 100k+ a week not starting.

I am sure Maatsens time will come but it may well not be this season that he is first choice. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why's that?  Got called up to the Dutch team at the last minute when he was on holiday, and then barely played when he was there.  Coming into a new team with completely different system, will take a him a few weeks to get up to speed.

Stop this damn common sense!

Maatson is our long term full back, we are now building depth but also, allowing time to integrate with how we play.  

For this season, Digne will give us experience whilst taking pressure off Maatsen and allowing him to bed in.

We are doing this everywhere, right back with Ned, Duran and Olly, Bogarde and Kamara/Konsa, Swinkels and Pau.  We have a system that we indoctrinate but manage the development pressure.  

People complained about Brentford & Brighton doing it, recognise Villa now have a similar model 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Read the rest of my post. 

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Disagree. Moreno and Digne both in their 30s and I wouldn't expect either to be here for 25/26 season so LB was a position where we desperately needed younger alternatives.

3 hours ago, macandally said:

Maatson is our long term full back, we are now building depth but also, allowing time to integrate with how we play.  

For this season, Digne will give us experience whilst taking pressure off Maatsen and allowing him to bed in.

I agree with Macanddally.

Until Maatsen learns the systems, expect Digne to get the starts. Maatsen will get 10-20 minutes at the end of matches that are no longer in doubt. He also may get used when we're facing a pacey right wing that Digne has trouble keeping up with.

I doubt that both Moreno and Digne will both be gone next year as VillaChris suggests. Even if Maatsen takes over as the starter next year, we still need cover, and you always need senior leadership around.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I know some people have intimated you don't spent 35 million on a player and not have him starting week in week out. You can also flip that to say you don't have a vastly experienced player who cost 28 million, has played almost 50 times for France and is apparently on 100k+ a week not starting.

Agreed. Another thing to keep in mind: if other clubs know that we have two aging left backs and desperately need someone new, they'll jack up the price. Buy before you have a need, which is what we did in this case. We found what we wanted at the price that we wanted and probably negotiated knowing that we could walk away if we didn't like the deal.

• Like 1

This guy is going to be an amazing player for us once he's fully up to speed.

He makes the runs that Digne and Moreno do. Difference is he has that extra yard of acceleration.

Lovely touch for the winner.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â